The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Default Gibsons sound better plugged in ?

Everyone complains about how Gibson acoustics sound like they got socks in the sound hole. Hey, i am not gonna deny that fact but if that's the way it sounds, just say it and don't malign the problem. You know what i mean ?

That's just the way some tone goes with the Gibsons.

I don't play any of my Gibson through an amplifier but I am gonna make a proposition that when plugged in, the stuffed sock and Martin or Taylor being superior in volume or tone or whatever you wanna call it are going to disappear ?

Would make sense to me that if you electrify the sound that some tonal nuances may go away ? I am not stating here, i am just asking the question.

Seriously, i have not played any of my Gibson acoustics through an amplifier now for close to 6 years ?

I would never want to play my Martins through an amplifier, they are already plenty loud.

Anyone else agree or have constructive input on this theory that the Gibson improves with amplifier assistance whereas a Martin don't really need it unless you are playing in front of an audience ?

Pick on ladies and gentlemen,

Harmonics101
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 AM

If i buy a guitar that is meant to be also plugged in, I will always want to make sure it sounds outstanding unplugged.

I was looking recently for a Gibson to gig with and played a number of them both plugged and unplugged. And to be honest the ones that sounded poor unplugged also sounded poor plugged in, and vice versa.

For example the CJ-165 (tried both rosewood and maple) both sounded tinny unplugged and that sound transferred when plugged in.

I also tried a J-185ec maple which I loved the look and feel but the tone was too bright, and it also was far too bright plugged in. When i played the SWD after it was like night and day. (unfortunately the dealer didnt have a r/wood J-185ec)

So, my experienced is that if they sound rubbish unplugged they will sound rubbish plugged in also.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
So, my experienced is that if they sound rubbish unplugged they will sound rubbish plugged in also.
Not true for Takamines in my experience. Those sound great plugged in but almost uniformly like rubbish unplugged to my ear.
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpopper View Post
Not true for Takamines in my experience. Those sound great plugged in but almost uniformly like rubbish unplugged to my ear.
very true. taks are horrible not plugged in and fantastic plugged in. but for gibsons only on this forum are they seen that way. not many taylors can touch a gibson. go to any other forum and you will see that martin and gibsons are "the" 2 guitar makers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion