The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-18-2024, 09:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am not in your price range, so no dog in this . . . Competition. But a piece of advice: There are modern guitars, and there are vintage style guitars. They are very different things in both construction and the sound and response of the guitar. Both work well enough, but they are fundamentally different. My own work is a progressive contemporary rendition of the traditional vintage guitar ala 1930 Martin philosophy. While many are somewhat influenced by that era, many modern builders are making guitars that function quite differently. You may be happy with whatever you get, and more power to you if that’s who you are, but it might be wise to explore the possibilities before you lay your money down. Or not.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Who are some of the better known small body guitar builders? Outlined a few things below that are important to me.

Generally want to stay around 14” lower bout - really want a comfy “couch guitar” - think 0/00/L1 size
12 fretter / short scale
Primarily strummer / light picker with some finger picking (maybe 15-20%)
Definitely want to go rosewood tone woods as everything else I have is hog
Budget: 6-10k(big driver is Brazilian or not)
Not totally your specifications, but I REALLY like the last all hog "0+" that I built. The shorter scale and smaller body makes it feel like a 12 fretter but gives you the 14 fret real estate if needed.

The complete CAD drawing is included in THIS post if any builders would like to copy it. I'm not sure what factors into producing the final sound, but it's my favorite for sure.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I am not in your price range, so no dog in this . . . Competition. But a piece of advice: There are modern guitars, and there are vintage style guitars. They are very different things in both construction and the sound and response of the guitar. Both work well enough, but they are fundamentally different. My own work is a progressive contemporary rendition of the traditional vintage guitar ala 1930 Martin philosophy. While many are somewhat influenced by that era, many modern builders are making guitars that function quite differently. You may be happy with whatever you get, and more power to you if that’s who you are, but it might be wise to explore the possibilities before you lay your money down. Or not.
Really appreciate the perspective from such a fine luthier! Unfortunately I am trying to stay capped at 10 or would love to speak with you on build. I am more interested in a vintage sounding / looking guitar with just a few modern and personalized specs.

While I continue my research I keep coming back to Kopp given history and his confidence to tweak his RJ model for what I am looking for.

I thought about pre war guitar co, but feel they have become a bit more main stream with a limited selection sheet and very long lead times.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s
Old 01-20-2024, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
While i do agree with Tom that my brother makes a great small bodied guitar, i must toot my own horn. Here is a single 0 in oak and cedar. It sounded very good.

Wow, Luis Panormo style bridge if I am not wrong.
Plus- oak?? Sound?
Old 01-20-2024, 07:43 AM

I noticed nobody mentioned George Lowden and his Wee guitars :o
Small (but deep) body, short scale (610mm) fingerstyle friendly width of neck and string spacing, beautifully built and very loud for their size
Not a Sheeran by Lowden of course but a Wee (code WL)
They cover the whole range from the 22 (Hog/Cedar) to the 50 (anything you want).
A new WL25 (Indian Rosewood/Cedar), or 32 (East Indian Rosewood/ Sitka Spruce) should be in your price range.
The 12 frets maybe a tad more expensive but with such a size, 14 frets to the body is a treat
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)
Old 01-20-2024, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
While I continue my research I keep coming back to Kopp given history and his confidence to tweak his RJ model for what I am looking for.
I recently acquired a Kopp L-02. I’d not been impressed with Gibson’s modern L-00s but was very impressed with this Kopp. Since I already had a Trail Boss I knew essentially what to expect with another Kopp. I have a feeling you’ll be in the same boat.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I recently acquired a Kopp L-02. I’d not been impressed with Gibson’s modern L-00s but was very impressed with this Kopp. Since I already had a Trail Boss I knew essentially what to expect with another Kopp. I have a feeling you’ll be in the same boat.
Ya I am basically sold on doing a Kopp RJ with rosewood. This out this one he did a few years ago. I think I am going to model a lot of this.

https://youtu.be/mxuEClSSUrA?si=udusRIXoC44pJ2W8
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s
Old 01-20-2024, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Wow, Luis Panormo style bridge if I am not wrong.
Plus- oak?? Sound?
I appreciate you checking out the details. I particularly like that bridge but cannot tell you who designed it. I got the design looking through a book of guitars made in the 1800's and im betting you are right about the originator. One thing for sure, those moustache arms? are fragile and the whole design is delicate. The guitars sound was very good

Here is Al Pettiway playing it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=rMlzS...&v=9LlLs9kbDC4

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 01-20-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:30 PM

Jimmy Caldwell of Spicewood, Texas (near Austin) built me a fantastic 00 14 fret with Madagascar RW and red spruce. Bar frets and a neck shape identical to a 1930 Martin OM-28 that I own. He could certainly make you a 00 12 fret model, I'm sure. Great guy to work with. Also love my Sexauer guitars, so he should continue to be a candidate, perhaps one of his workingman's guitars (less fancy, same quality). Good luck! HTH, Tim

The Caldwell:

Old 01-21-2024, 12:42 AM

The Flammang L65 posted here in the classifieds looks like it should hold the fort til you decide and your instrument is built.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-22-2024, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Late to comment on this but I have and enjoy building 00/0 size guitars and am within the price range stated. The are several threads on this forum of my builds of this size guitars. One here started by J-F-C a few years ago. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=598160

Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 01-22-2024, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well! Here's a OO that I recently sent down to Cedar Rock Studios....

That one has a set of 'The Tree' for the back and sides making it a bit more expensive, but if you take that away my guitars would fall squarely in your price range.
instagram
Old 01-31-2024, 08:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Please add me to your list of builders to consider for a custom build. Here's a 0 sized 12 fret available at Acoustic Music Works that might work for you too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVXDCss5Eo&t=2s

https://acousticmusicworks.com/produ...e-cocobolo-new
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4323.jpg (50.6 KB, 65 views)

Oneida, NY

www.gillanderguitars.com

Instagram: @gillanderguitars
www.instagram.com/gillanderguitars

Facebook: Gillander Guitars.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ibextid=LQQJ4d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop