The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Rane AP-13 - Effects on one channel!

Hello again all,

Back with more tech Qs.

I've read here that running effects into one channel of the Rane doesn't work as intuitively as how I thought it would.
It states in that article that running one effect on one channel (in this case Channel A or on the AP-13 it's piezo) cause the two channels to be summed to mono and sent out to the effects unit where, clearly, both channels are affected. He states you need to use dummy plugs for the other channel to combat this effect.
What he doesn't state is if doing the same thing on Channel B (mic on Ap-13) causes the same thing. I didn't think it was implied but then again it would make sense.

1. Is this true of Channel A/Piezo and if so does it apply to Channel B/mic?

2. If so what are and where can I get dummy plugs? I want to run my effects unit on the mic channel only (Sunrise will be going into that). I'll either do it insert or send and return. I've cables on order for both.

Thanks guys,
JP
Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 AM

I just had a look at the schematic and confirmed that connecting to only channel "A" send creates a mono blend of both channel "A" and "B". Your choices will be to:

1) Try sending from channel "B" only (I haven't tried this, so it may be interconnected, even though the schematic doesn't show it)

2) Send from channel "A" and place an open plug into channel "B"

3) Send from either the "Tuner" or "Piezo" out jacks (neither have output control pots, so you will need to adjust levels on the input of your effects unit.

If you get stuck, let me know and I can fire mine up to confirm settings.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks Ron,

I don't actually have the cables yet. I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase. I'm buying at least a TRS for guitar to pre; insert cable, send/return unbalanced cables and output cables (also purchasing some for my electric setup as well).

I was gonna post another thread but may as well ask.

Should I get balanced jack-jack for outputs or balanced xlr for outputs? Can I run the jack configuration into a desk as well as other devices like my sound card, amps etc? Seems if I can do all with the jack then it's more cost effective to go buy those instead of buying both - which i can't really afford.

Thanks,
JP
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM

JP,

Both outputs are balanced, so you can use TRS jack outs for your line level inputs to mixer, sound card, amps etc.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Sounds good, cheers man. Can save abit of money on the cable order.

Thanks.
JP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification