The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 PM

I hardly touch my wood acoustics since I got my Emerald X7. It's the ultimate don't-worry-be-happy guitar. I'm saving my soccer refereeing money (by agreement with mrs. bsman, that's my guitar money) for a chimaera -- hope to be able to order by the end of the high school season (march, here in NorCal). I will likely get rid of all my other acoustics except my old Yammie classical at that point. That's how great I think they are.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
They play and sound great! A bonus for me is that I can keep a guitar in a
black truck, in west Texas (or as I call it; Mordor, the land of the dark lord),
120-150 degrees for days and weeks, and it stays in tune.
It's nice not to worry about heat and humidity.
Good luck in your search Bill!

Here's a pic of my jobsite...
That's just too funny Song...I burst my guts laughing at this one...
Oh yes...this pic is from my house after the A/C went out too!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 AM

Evidently they last a long time as well..cant make stuff like this up

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM

I love my Rainsong. Unfortunately, here in Columbia, S.C., there are no music stores that carry any carbon fiber guitars. I had to order mine but I've ordered almost all of my guitars on line. Having the Rainsong has been great. Anytime I want to play outside in the heat, the cold, rain or shine, I don't have to worry and just enjoy playing.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 AM

WOW !!!!

You guys are full of great wisdom

Ted was right, will be using for gigs, so would need electronics and something bigger than 3/4 size.

Going to call the shops and see who stocks CF

Thanks again
Bill
Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
WOW !!!!

You guys are full of great wisdom

Ted was right, will be using for gigs, so would need electronics and something bigger than 3/4 size.

Going to call the shops and see who stocks CF

Thanks again
Bill
Obviously it would be nice for you to be able to try some in person, I have no idea of the availability in your area, but LA Guitars has a really big stock of them.
I have chatted to Ted on the phone (re: a certain Martin) nice easy-going guy, a mine of info and I think his prices are hard to beat ,
but you may still have to up your budget a little, totally worth it IMO.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Did you do this? Emerald guitars are tough!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 AM

WildBill, ditto on Ted, he is a fountain of information on CF guitars, really enthusiastic and has a collection of his own, give him a call with a list of questions, it will be time well spent. He and Helene are great to deal with too, so you may end up buying from him but either way he will share his knowledge with you I bet.
As for finding stores, good luck. I travel as a pilot and had a hard time finding them. Stopped in for an afternoon at Ted's and played many that day, awesome selection. I also stopped at the Blackbird factory where Joe was great as well.
You will find the CF guitars as varied as wood, each with their own sound too.
I have ended up with a Rainsong shorty, which is discontinued but is essentially I believe the CH-OM 12 fret which is now the cheapest Rainsong and may suite your needs. I use mine mostly fingerstyle but it handles strumming quite well as well as my limited flatpicking. I also got an Emerald x20, which has a great voice but is more suited to strumming and singing IMO. My last purchase is my Blackbird Lucky 13 and it seems to excel at bluesy stuff, IMO.
If you could up your price just a touch the newer Rainsong line with either the CH-OM or CH-WS might be your thing.
Please update us on your search. To find dealers you might check each manufacturers website for links to dealers.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks Dave for the post and great info. Its about a 2 hour drive to Houston Tx, so I am going to make some calls first and see if any shops there have anything in stock.

Starting to think it would be better to save up for a little longer and purchase a new one.

Will keep y,all updated on my quest

Bill
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM

I know you are looking to keep your cost to around 1K. That may be hard to find. Might I suggest you look at some of our sponsors payment plans. Some can offer you spread out payments of 6 months or more on a new guitar.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I know you are looking to keep your cost to around 1K. That may be hard to find. Might I suggest you look at some of our sponsors payment plans. Some can offer you spread out payments of 6 months or more on a new guitar.

Thank you very much for that info. I did not know some would offer that option.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for that info. I did not know some would offer that option.
I have seen as long as 24-36 month payment plans on line. some offer zero percent down and zero percent interest. the catch is, you have to make sure you set up equal monthly payments. If you fail to make payments, then all the differed interest becomes due at 22%.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
..... Its about a 2 hour drive to Houston Tx, so I am going to make some calls first and see if any shops there have anything in stock.
Before driving two hours each way just to try one, I would talk to Ted. See what model he recommends and what his return policy is. Return shipping -- in the unlikely event you might need it -- would be cheaper than four hours worth of gas and your time, plus sitting in Houston traffic.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Before driving two hours each way just to try one, I would talk to Ted. See what model he recommends and what his return policy is. Return shipping -- in the unlikely event you might need it -- would be cheaper than four hours worth of gas and your time, plus sitting in Houston traffic.
This is real good advice. About the only composite guitar Ted doesn't carry is Emerald, so if your research leads you in their direction, you'll have to deal direct with Alistair or Sean. Their return policy is very good.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM

You never know, Ted might even sell ya his personal Emerald !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber