The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Thanks for the scoop! A few more questions, if I may ask...

Do any pictures exist of the CO-OM1100NS? Would love to see that!

Is the Fishman Prefix Plus T generally considered the best of the available electronics choices?

And, what is the lead time for an H-OM1000NS ?
Tejon Music in Colorado Springs carries these frequently. Here I is a link to one that was listed on Reverb. I'm sure Ted could order anything you want if RainSong makes it.

https://reverb.com/item/3695024-new-...acoustic-17357
Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Dumb Question of the Day:

What do people mean when they say "barn door" electronics? Does that just refer to the plastic plate control housing usually cut into the top side of the upper bout?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Thanks for the scoop! A few more questions, if I may ask...

Do any pictures exist of the CO-OM1100NS? Would love to see that!

Is the Fishman Prefix Plus T generally considered the best of the available electronics choices?

And, what is the lead time for an H-OM1000NS ?
Don't have any pictures of Rip's guitar, but the one in the link provided by Sean is correct. The Prefix Plus T is an excellent system, but there are other good options as well, like the hugely popular K&K Mini. About six weeks for a special order.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Tejon Music in Colorado Springs carries these frequently. Here I is a link to one that was listed on Reverb. I'm sure Ted could order anything you want if RainSong makes it.

https://reverb.com/item/3695024-new-...acoustic-17357
Thanks Sean... I had a chance to check that out. I think the best choice for me is more "plain Jane". Now I know.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The Prefix Plus T is an excellent system, but there are other good options as well, like the hugely popular K&K Mini. About six weeks for a special order.
Thanks Ted... I think a non-electronic version is what will suit my needs best. (No stage performing - just recording.)

I'll be in touch with you.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I just got a Rain Song CH-OM from Ted a couple weeks ago. What an amazing guitar. I've had many, many guitars from lots and lots of manufacturers and this is the easiest playing, best sounding, most comfortable guitar I've ever owned. Maybe I'm just a CF guy but Ted knows his stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I just got a Rain Song CH-OM from Ted a couple weeks ago. What an amazing guitar. I've had many, many guitars from lots and lots of manufacturers and this is the easiest playing, best sounding, most comfortable guitar I've ever owned. Maybe I'm just a CF guy but Ted knows his stuff.
The RS CH-OM sure impressed me! It stood out in top spot, for playability as well as well-balanced tone, among quite a number of other well respected CF guitars, regardless of price, including guitars selling for 2X the price. That is quite significant to me.

Last edited by DHart; 08-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

The price is ridiculous for what you get. There will be a CH parlor on my wall in the near future.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post

I played one of these in Fairbanks a few years ago and have been trying to remember who makes it!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-08-2017, 05:15 AM

Journey Instruments, OF-660.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Dumb Question of the Day:

What do people mean when they say "barn door" electronics? Does that just refer to the plastic plate control housing usually cut into the top side of the upper bout?
Yep DHart...IMHO the "barn door" electronics are OK but...as fast as technology is going, the potential for "upgrading" at a later date is diminished...
However some of the guys here have turned the hole into a cute soundport after installing a different pick up system...Some pretty creative individuals on this forum!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Yep DHart...IMHO the "barn door" electronics are OK but...as fast as technology is going, the potential for "upgrading" at a later date is diminished...
However some of the guys here have turned the hole into a cute soundport after installing a different pick up system...Some pretty creative individuals on this forum!!!
Ah ha! Remove barn door control panel and, voila... a custom sound port appears!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
bry... in a couple of days, a RainSong CH-OM-1100NS (from Ted) will be arriving at my door! I agree with you, these are among the nicest playing and sounding CF guitars extant.

TO recap:

I recently had the opportunity (thanks to Kramster) to test-play quite a few different CF guitars, one right after the other in a single sitting!

Included, if I can remember them all correctly, were Emerald X7, X10, X20, & Amicus; RainSong CH-WS1000, CH-OM1000, & CH-Parlor; CA OXE & Cargo, Blackbird Savoy, McPherson Touring, Journey OF660, and perhaps a few others that I don't even remember.

Each of them had a unique feel and sound.

OF THEM ALL... the RainSong CH-OM won me over! Pretty much so, from the get-go. It just had the best overall combination of rich, balanced tonal range, easy playability, and comfortable size. What more can you ask for? Price???

So much so, that I just put my money where my mouth was/is, paid the bill, and Ted (LA Guitar Sales) has shipped a RainSong CH-OM1100NS (what was previously called the "Shorty') to me, arriving on Thursday! 12-fret, short scale. (My second guitar purchased from Ted & Helene. The other being an exquisite Eastman E10-OOM all solid, flame mahogany. Also a 12-fret, short-scale.)

Not only was I won over by the full and well-balanced tone, the easy-playability, and the comfortable body size of the CH-OM... but all that coming at a price that beats nearly every other CF guitar out there? And that considerably, compared to many of them?

How does all that come together so magnificently? I don't know. But I'm not complaining about it!

Last edited by DHart; 08-15-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I've enjoyed watching your process. I have no doubt you will enjoy that guitar.

Kramster needs to take that show on the road... for the good of all mankind (or at least those who are considering if a CF guitar is right for them).
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 AM

Congrats DHart, it has been fun watching you get here. My Shorty was my gateway to CF guitars and I still smile every time I pick it up.
Enjoy the new guitar.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM

After your experiences I'm surprised (and not surprised) you went with this one. If I were presented the same opportunity I'm not sure I would have made the same decision. However, the Shorty checked off so many of my boxes that I went ahead and bought one even though I remain ignorant of all other CF offerings. It is a great instrument all the way around and it looks like it checked off many of your boxes as well. Please post your NGD once it arrives!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber