The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 PM

Default It's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll (seriously) - seeking advice

I've worked out an acoustic version of AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top" but there's one part I'm not happy with. I made a video of the solo part which I've linked below. Please pardon my poor use of terminology, fret buzz, lack of hygiene and other mistakes, but here goes....

Capo is on the first fret so chord shapes are relative to that. At the 24 second mark I'm playing a C# on the A string and I'd like to see if I can fill that sound out more with a chord. Open C# barre chord is too bright. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM

I get a "This video is private" message.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Thanks, Walter. I think I fixed it.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 PM

How about getting a piper to play that sweet bagpipe solo? That would enhance it. ;-)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 AM

Hi Scott.

I had a quick look at the song. There is no C# at the bass, it does not sound right. Get the chorus chords right also and try to add the melody if you are not singing yourself.

Here is a short clip I just made to give you some ideas. AC/DC is actually much more complicated than most of the people might think.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 PM

It seems like the song is just one long repeated riff. So perhaps you mean the main riff?

It would be two chords then. it would be a root 5 that moves up to the 4th postion. This would really ring out better if you played this whole song up a pitch higher and got the 2 high strings on the 5th fret). and the second chord is like a reverse root 5 shape. kinda like hold down 2 frets up from the capo on the low E string and let the next 3 strings ring open.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys and sorry for the delay in responding (it's been awhile since I had the laptop and guitar both out at the same time). Piper, if you want to get the bagpipes out to play along, have at it! I googled it up and Bon Scott actually played them live for a while.

Anyway, Tomi, that was an awesome version! I play it and sing as well. For my version the only change I'm looking for at this point is to turn this single note into a chord that sounds close to what the bagpipes are doing.

There are two main bagpipe solos. First, it's just bagpipes and the second is the call and response of bagpipes and guitar. I'm just trying to fix the first part. Relative to the capo on 1, the notes on that solo would be C#, D, E, and F#. The C# is held for 8 beats at the end of the solo - how can I better fill out that single note? (not sure if you explained this in your response, grathan, my theory is at a kindergarten level!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write