The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Default Playing a TOTALLY unplugged show

Hi guys.

I have a 2-person band, myself on guitar and backup vox, my partner on main vox and keys (usually, more on that soon).

We are normally a fully electric band, however, in late January we are supposed to play at a theater where I am ALSO taking improv classes (stay with me here). We will open for two other acts who likely aren't even bands (sketch or improv comedy--we are sort of music/humor which is why that fits in there).

Thing is, at this theater, they are not really set up for electric anything where the peformers are concerned. It is a small place and people on stage generally just project to the back. My idea here is that we would play a TOTALLY unplugged show, he would simply sing unaided by a mic, I would play an acoustic not hooked into a PA or anything else. We've explored other things like him using a cajon for some songs, things like that. Obviously he wouldn't be able to do keys there without us finding power.

Has anyone done anything like this? A totally acoustic/unamplified performance? Did it work ok? He's worried about not being able to hear himself, wants to try plugging things in.

I'm worried if we go that route we a) have to deal with setup time b) a bunch more gear (amp for him, amp for me, amp/PA for backup vox etc.) c) evening out levels in front of everyone d) teardown, etc. It's theater, it's supposed to be pretty quick between setups/acts. 5-10 minutes screwing around is not cool. I've thought about trying to get in there on a separate day to test everything and just note all those settings etc.

But I'd really like to go the all acoustic/unamplified route if feasible (either another guitar, harmonica, or nothing filling in his role on keys, cajon just to make things quirky). So. . .thoughts?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Once. Earlier this year. I was doing a book signing and the bookstore owner asked if I'd play something. I thought keeping folks there would be good for book sales (it was), so I agreed. I considered bringing just a small amp, but at the last minute went unplugged. Only played a couple songs, but the sound sure didn't fill the space.

I have jammed with friends unplugged, but that bookstore is the only public playing I've done without some amplification. I like being able to blend the guitar and vocal, add some reverb, and use a harmonizer... don't need loud, but I like to have a full sound.

That said, practice unplugged to make sure you aren't flustered with how it sounds on stage. If you can get into the place you'll be playing for a practice, even better.

I have played places where I have my equipment set up ahead of time - all I have to do is move a mic stand, put down a pedal, and plug in... takes very little time or fuss.

Good luck with deciding how to make it work best for you two.

Jim
Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I play solo instrumentals on my classical guitars for small groups at my church. 20-30 people in a confined space or at least setting together near where I am playing. They seem to enjoy it and I always get complements on the sound of the hymns or spirituals on the un-amplified guitar.

I'd recommend you give it a try. You might just like it, (smile)

Dave
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM

I used to do sound for small folk music concerts. One guy -- a very skilled performer -- wanted his duo to have no amplification. I bowed to his wishes. Trouble was, minimal sound would have helped balance instruments and voices, even if the volumes were kept low. I felt the performance was less successful than it could have been with just a little better balance. My two cents. It isn't JUST about volume....
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Thanks. I have pics of the space if you guys want to see. I would consider it pretty small. . .seats about 100, they tell me, probably 20-30 ft from stage to back wall, stage is maybe 6-8 feet deep. All hard surfaces. This is not a fancy place.

As I said, I would be willing to see if they'll let us get set or at least "pre-set" the night before (set sound levels, figure out positions, make notes, recreate the next night) or before doors open. Don't know if I'd want to leave anything there overnight. Probably won't be able to practice there. Anytime someone is there something is generally going on, and they're ALL volunteers so staying late probably no good.

I guess I was wondering if physical placement of us (e.g. he stands out front on stage and I'm in back) helps with volume control/mix. Although that would kind of suck 'cause we like to rock out and move around freely.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Default unplugged

I've done it several times, with varying results. It's success depends upon many things, primarily the acoustics, which is hard to tell ahead of time. Can you go there to practice once? That will tell you all you need to know, especially if you have someone in the "audience" to listen. When the place is full, it will be harder to be heard as the bodies will make for less sound bouncing around, plus there will be an undercurrent of noise. If it doesn't sound good in practice, it will sound worse for real.

When you can pull it off, it can be very rewarding.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 PM

I think it will work. It's a pretty small room and the audience will be there to listen. It's not ideal for delicate finger style, you'll have to project both instruments and voices. I once saw Brandi Carlile play a couple songs totally unplugged after a few songs amplified in a room of 600+ and she sounded great. It certainly made everyone in the room focus. I play unplugged at our church gatherings in a funky room with up to 150 crammed in, with everyone singing along it still works out fine
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Ah ok. Here's where we start a potential flame war (hopefully not). I'm likely going to be using a Taylor 114CE. This thing seems pretty loud acoustically.

Also, I am a picker (I guess you guys refer to it as "flat picking?"--either way I mean using a plectrum) so no delicate stuff. Maybe we can get in to test after the late class one night. I will see. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Assuming everybody's quietly listening, and the room is designed properly for its size, the volume might not be an issue.

Getting the right mix, on the other hand, could very well be.

I'd want somebody whose opinion I trust near the back of the room to give some sort of signal as to whether the vocals needed to go higher, instruments lower, etc.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

My only totally acoustic show happened a couple weeks ago totally impromptu when someone crashed into the power poles and took out the whole neighborhood's power.

We just went with the flow and made it work. Not something I've ever done on purpose so I can't help much. Sounds like a fun venue and gig. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Guest 728

If you could put a large-diaphragm condenser mic out front, just to reinforce the vocals and guitar (kind of like NPR's Tiny Desk concerts), I think the people further back from the front row would probably appreciate it.

Last edited by Guest 728; 12-23-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 PM

I would have concerns about the vocal(s) being loud enough. Hey, it's a "theater" you say, do a dress rehearsal and get feedback on the levels, good luck.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Playing a TOTALLY unplugged show
I was approached by a friend several years ago. A venue for parties and weddings over on the Coast was wanting to try an acoustic concert series; tickets include food and wine pre-show, an opening act, a main act - intermission with dessert and wine/coffee - a different opening act for the same main act.

People paying to come and sit & listen to music, very much like a largish house concert (relatively small section of the venue)...

The kicker was - NO amplification! No mics, nothing!

I was a bit skeptical, but they were kind enough to invite my band to be the first headliner act of the series, so I said we'd give it a shot.

IT WAS GREAT FUN!!!!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:12 AM

The theater has at least one mic, and a PA, that may be it. keep in mind it's two different people playing guitar/singing, for the most part, so even a simple approach would involve us plugging in or being mic'd by several different mics.

I will see about a dress rehearsal but as I said usually when the theater's open there's something going on that would prevent that.

However it occurs to me as I write this that they are doing some remodeling so maybe there will be folks there during odd hours.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 AM

In the old days there was often only one mic, and the band moved around it. Look up some old lester & flatt or stanley brothers on youtube to see this. Can look and sound greatcif you have your choreography down.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write