The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Pattern picking

I started finger style by learning some pattern picking from books. The patterns used thumb, index, middle and ring fingers. After a couple years of that I moved on to alternate bass style. It seemed natural to employ as many fingers as needed, so that's what I did. Keep at it. The awkwardness eventually goes away.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
HarleySpirit

Default Harley's Single Finger Down/Up Picking Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshpmark View Post
I had the best 3 straight hours of guitar playing since I started in January.

Now my question is this - right now I only seem to be able to coordinate my thumb and index finger. Are there any other fingerstylists who use just this combination?
Yes!
All of the above recommendations are right-on and should be tried.
However, using too many fingers can get in the way, especially when combined with speed, alternate thumb bass runs, strums, and melody riffs.
Scroll down this page and try my simple down/up style. Its so versitile for all kinds of music. Stick with it and you will accomplish in a very short time, what has taken so many of us, years to accomplish. Listen to this wise old fellow and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Harley
Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
When I bought a guitar not long ago, I mentioned to the store owner that I could not play fingerstyle. He said, "Well, one day you will set down the pick and start playing with your fingers." Well, that happened to a little degree last night. I had the best 3 straight hours of guitar playing since I started in January.

Now my question is this - right now I only seem to be able to coordinate my thumb and index finger. Are there any other fingerstylists who use just this combination?

I know that working the other two fingers will take time and much practice but I was just wondering if there was someone I could listen to who used the thumb and index combination.
Mark,
I use my thumb and 3 fingers, but if you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYKzX...eature=related ..........

.......with just thumb and index, don't change.

The old adage that 'less is more' is an age-old truism.

I sometimes force myself to play some of my songs with less fingers as it makes me look at them from a slightly different point of view in terms of phrasing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When you're auditioning drummers, give then a snare, a bass drum, a hi-hat and a pair of sticks and say 'Play something for me'.

HE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqbuVoz2TE
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 AM

I'm not an expert at fingerstyle, but love to play the older folk/country blues stuff. Though I use thumb and both index and middle finger, I probably rely more on my middle finger - maybe 75 percent of the treble notes. Depends a lot on the song, of course, but it just seems to develop naturally that way for me. I'll often look at something I've been playing for a while and try different combinations, though.

When I try more complicated things, I have to use my third finger. Which is hard, because I don't practice it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySpirit View Post
Yes!
All of the above recommendations are right-on and should be tried.
However, using too many fingers can get in the way, especially when combined with speed, alternate thumb bass runs, strums, and melody riffs.
Scroll down this page and try my simple down/up style. Its so versitile for all kinds of music. Stick with it and you will accomplish in a very short time, what has taken so many of us, years to accomplish. Listen to this wise old fellow and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Harley
That style has a really nice (almost banjo-esque type) sound! Like it a lot, will have to try it out. Would sound nice for a lot of folk things, great to learn something new!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM

good call by sugarbear on the "travis picking by mark hanson"...that is what the two finger style (thumb and any other, usually the forefinger) with a melody being played by the finger and bass by the thumb is called but, there are many other styles as well.
i learned on a banjo. thumb for the drone and alternating bass lines, the other three fingers just had to learn to find the notes on their own..it takes time and practice but, eventually, those digits find the right strings.
hint,...don't look at them.
hint #2....drop your "E" to "D" and practice an alternating thumb with the bass "D" , the "d" string and the "g" string in a simple chord like..."D"....then, when you get a consistent sound try another chord like "A" or "G"..
be patient with yourself and have fun! (that's the most important part!)
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM

I would check out Etta Baker. She has a CD/dvd that shows you how to play a number a great two finger songs.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
HarleySpirit

Quote:

I know that working the other two fingers will take time and much practice but I was just wondering if there was someone I could listen to who used the thumb and index combination.
Check this out, and listen to "the real deal".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8x_1fD5vM

Harley
Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM

To those talking about multiple fingers and picking patterns that's a different subject from playing the country blues like Doc and the Deep River Blues, or the great picking of Rev. Gary Davis. I don't know that what these guys are doing is something that you'd tire of quickly. I haven't quite gotten tired. It's a lot of work and fun to practice these wonderful tunes/songs!

I'm with Howard Emerson on this. If you like the work of Doc and you're making progress with these country blues tunes - keep at it!

f-d
Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Thanks everyone. The input and encouragement is much appreciated. I ordered the Hanson books today so I am looking forward to them arriving. I'll also check the other links you all have mentioned.

+Mark
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM

I just thought I'd throw one last thought in here for the sake of total confusion: sometimes letting things develop naturally is how you find your own musical character.

I've been playing with my fingers off and on for most of the last 46 years and and exclusively for the last 25 years or so. I use all five fingers on my picking hand. It wasn't something I set out to do. It just sort of developed unconsciously. I'm rarely even aware of using my pinky except when I file the nail too short. Then I notice that I'm missing a few of the top notes on complex chords. It may not be the best arrangement for playing Merle Travis style, but it has allowed me to develop my own very piano like approach and while it may have its limits, at least I always sound like me.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM

>I've been playing with my fingers off and on for most of the last 46 years...

If my fingers were removable... I'd probably sound better.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post

I've been playing with my fingers off and on for most of the last 46 years and and exclusively for the last 25 years or so.
Me too. Unfortunately mostly it didn't involve a musical instrument.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM

As others have said, Merle Travis was a great player who only used his thumb and index finger, but few are able to recreate the sound he got doing that. Even his son, Thom Bresh, says he cannot get all the notes Merle got just using his thumb and index finger.

Unless you are lucky enough to be able to develope this style beyond the basics, it is always better to try to use at least three fingers and thumb. You will eventually get comfortable using the extra fingers and you will have more range. Good luck - fingerstyle is a life long pursuit, but it is a joy to pursue!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM

Default thumb and index only

I've seen a lot of advice in this thread to keep practicing until you're able to incorporate middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I guess I'm the reverse - when I started playing fingerstyle (on both electric and acoustic) it was all about the thumb, middle, and ring fingers (sometimes I'd strum with the index), but over time I've gravitated towards thumb and index, nearly exclusively. To me it sounds better. My middle and ring fingernails (tops) were always clicking and clacking on the strings, noticable if you tune into it. The tone is better, too, as the index finger, with it's unique angle, is nearly as fleshy as the thumb. They're perfect partners. Volume is more even, too. So while it's good advice to be able to use all fingers, don't rule out the possibilty that using only two fingers may not really be a handicap.

Last edited by pauleddy; 01-12-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

This thread was 7 years old, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write