The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 PM

Have to agree, about the price increase, but also have to say that these guitars seem to be in short supply. The two I'm most interested in, the OM-18 and OM-28 are back ordered pretty much everywhere.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Martin Authentic Guitars: Demand and Rumors

Had an OM-18 Authentic and while I miss her the Santa Cruz Tony Rice I traded for is perfect at this time. It really depends on what works for you. The neck on the OM was a problem but a great guitar. Don't believe they are flying off the shelves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilkins View Post
Had an OM-18 Authentic and while I miss her the Santa Cruz Tony Rice I traded for is perfect at this time. It really depends on what works for you. The neck on the OM was a problem but a great guitar. Don't believe they are flying off the shelves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I find the neck on my OM-18A to be perfectly comfortable. I am able to use my thumb to fret the bass string at the 7th fret if needed and play a clean sounding wrap around F shape chord. Mine was a six month wait - delivered right on time, and after six months daily playing, it is sounding better than ever. Regarding the neck, right away I found I was able to play things more easily. Had a thinner neck before, but find this one more comfortable, ideal really.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 PM

Congratulations on the 00, that's the one I would have picked too. The sales persons observations seem resonable enough.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
I find the neck on my OM-18A to be perfectly comfortable. I am able to use my thumb to fret the bass string at the 7th fret if needed and play a clean sounding wrap around F shape chord. Mine was a six month wait - delivered right on time, and after six months daily playing, it is sounding better than ever. Regarding the neck, right away I found I was able to play things more easily. Had a thinner neck before, but find this one more comfortable, ideal really.

I probably put that wrong. I meant the neck was tough for me. My hands aren't that big and smaller necks are more to my preference. More a matter of what works best for different folks. Actually one of the best guitars re: tone I've heard.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:46 PM

Plus I'm 65 and hands aren't as fluid as they once were.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:26 AM

I visited a local Long & McQuade recently and was a little shocked to find the price of a new stock HD-28V at $4999.00 + 12% tax = $5600.00

Same chain store has a new stock 1939 D-18 Authentic listed for $7429.00 + 12% tax = $8320.00

This store isn't known for knocking much off the tag price. There are folks that probably don't have issues with these prices and can afford them but for most blue collar working folks it would be a stretch.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Congratulations on the 00, that's the one I would have picked too. The sales persons observations seem resonable enough.
Thank you.

I didn't know what to make of what the dealer said, so I thought I'd post his comments here for some feedback-- and boy, the feedback was certainly given.

I would only note that the Martin Authentic tidbits the dealer conveyed to me were spoken after I had already purchased the instrument. Perhaps he was just trying to bolster the sale after-the-fact? I'm sure that will be the predominant interpretation....
Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
I visited a local Long & McQuade recently and was a little shocked to find the price of a new stock HD-28V at $4999.00 + 12% tax = $5600.00

Same chain store has a new stock 1939 D-18 Authentic listed for $7429.00 + 12% tax = $8320.00

This store isn't known for knocking much off the tag price. There are folks that probably don't have issues with these prices and can afford them but for most blue collar working folks it would be a stretch.
Wow. You are better off taking a vacation out to the US and picking up a Martin before going back. $5k for an hd28v is incredible.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I can't refute or confirm this on a factual basis, but it sure sounds like a salesman trying to push a customer to buy sooner rather than later. All of it has a degree of plausibility (as a good sales pitch should) but it still sounds like a slanted presentation of the facts. But I could be wrong and I'd be happy for someone with the facts to chime in.
Creating a sense of urgency and the impression of exclusivity are two of the more effective elements of a good sales pitch.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, martin, rumors, supply