The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM

I sold my 41 D28 Authentic. Yes it was a good guitar, but to me it only matches what Froggy Bottom, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois are doing already. Unless of course you wish to buy it for the nostalgia of having a replica model from back then.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM

I played an Authentic recently and although it sounded wonderful I wasn't freakin out about it or anything. Truth be told though, even if I liked it, I don't have that kind of dough to spend on a guitar, and maybe my reaction would be different if I did? Who knows. But I walked away still 100% stoked on my 2011 HD-28 Standard.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
I sold my 41 D28 Authentic. Yes it was a good guitar, but to me it only matches what Froggy Bottom, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois are doing already. Unless of course you wish to buy it for the nostalgia of having a replica model from back then.
The 41 D28 A that I auditioned sounded very similar to the Collings guitars I played. I think just about everyone makes a great guitar at the $5k plus price pint. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Guest2145

When I was in the market for a new guitar (and let's be frank, when are we not?), I would check the dealer websites, and I remember seeing several Authentics sitting around for at least 6 months, the OM-28A for one and maybe others. So I never felt like demand was outstripping supply, but maybe in certain locations it does?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I don't get the sense these are flying off the shelves either. It's a lot of money, even at or close to 40 off. Sounds like more of a sales pitch to me too.

(For the record, I sold an OM-28 Authentic recently. Good guitar, but came to dislike the neck profile and fairly dry tone after a time. Being a Martin, the bass response was better than many comparable OMs, but it still wasn't the dread substitute I was hoping for.)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I've never played an Authentic dread. Once upon a time I owned a pre-VTS OM-18A and a pre-VTS OM-28A. They were both fine guitars but just didn't last long term? I'd like to try a '37 D-28A just for comparison purposes. I have several Martin CS dreads so I'm not really looking? But I do love a good 28...whatever form it takes!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataSystems View Post
I just purchased a Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931 today and the dealer provided a few interesting tidbits that I thought I'd pass along here.
  • According to the dealer, demand for Martin Authentic instruments is very good but there's very limited supply.
  • Currently a six-month queue for dealers waiting to re-stock Authentic guitar models.
  • The dealer said there are only two guys at Martin who are dedicated full time doing all of the hide glue construction for Authentic guitars and various custom shop orders.
    I
  • Capacity thus far has been limited to only a few hundred instruments this year.
  • The dealer also indicated there are rumors of a likely price increase at Martin for its Authentic guitars this Fall.
Sounds like the dealer is a very good salesperson.. Do a quick Google search for the same guitar you just purchased and I'm sure you'll find dozens of them available all across the country. Martin does usually raise their prices once a year or so and I think we've already seen the ivpcrease this past spring.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
...Martin does usually raise their prices once a year or so and I think we've already seen the ivpcrease this past spring.
Price changes/additions/deletions within the Martin lineup historically kick in with the new price lists in January and July - worst case scenario is that you've got 4-5 months to decide...
Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Is that the all Koa 000? I haven't seen one in person, but I've heard a couple of nice recordings and Spoon P has an interesting review on his web site. Looks cool, certainly -- glad you are enjoying yours.
Yes that's the one, it's very beautiful and the lightest guitar I've ever played.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The 41 D28 A that I auditioned sounded very similar to the Collings guitars I played. I think just about everyone makes a great guitar at the $5k plus price pint. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I had a Collings 0002h before the 00028k authentic I have now. For me there was a big difference, but I agree you should expect a very good guitar for $5k plus.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

FWIW, according to the head of inside sales, Martin is not planning any price increases for the fall. But maybe they'll change their minds..LOL!
Old 07-28-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I sold my 41 D28 Authentic. Yes it was a good guitar, but to me it only matches what Froggy Bottom, Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois are doing already.
This sounds more like a compliment than a compelling reason to sell I would think any builder (or player) would be thrilled to be in the equal company of Froggy Bottom, Collings, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
This sounds more like a compliment than a compelling reason to sell I would think any builder (or player) would be thrilled to be in the equal company of Froggy Bottom, Collings, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois?
Yeah, I didn't get that comment from Prizen either.

......Mike
Old 07-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Yes they are comparable, which is high praise for all of them IMHO !!

And when you add that Authentics are less expensive than many of these comparable models, sounds like a good thing to me.

We can only speak for ourselves and our personal preferences. Far from my most expensive guitar my OM-18A is my all time favorite in over 50 years of playing. Perfect for me.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataSystems View Post
[*]The dealer also indicated there are rumors of a likely price increase at Martin for its Authentic guitars this Fall.[/LIST]
Anytime I hear this from a salesperson my BS antenna goes WAY up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, martin, rumors, supply