The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Default no pics of the brace issues

There are 2 braces with a problem that I can see. One has come loose from the back and one has split with a slight seperation. I dont think I can get a clamp to reach either. I cant figure out to brace with enough force to hold them without damaging the top.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

try one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Cl...ssor_Jack.html

For brace #1: You'll need to weight the top down and/or strap the whole guitar to a table. The goal is to keep the soundbox from springing apart. You can use soft bath towels to protect the finish. First clean everything up and get your tools ready. Secure the guitar down and apply glue. Set the jack in place quickly -the goal here is to apply enough pressure to hold the brace back in place without spring the guitar apart. Look for even amounts of glue squeeze-out. Think "balanced pressure"

For brace #2: Assuming this crack is parallel to the endblock, get some small finger clamps or spring clips to glue the brace together. Get your clamps/clips ready. Apply glue, and clamp. If it is parallel to the back, then try the scissor jack.

Question:
Has the lifted brace come up from the center or from one of it's edges? If the loose brace has busted away from the kerfing leaving a piece remaining, we may have to look at other options.

Let us know if it works out ok. Good Luck

Last edited by arie; 05-20-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Default thank you very much arie

I will try these ideas and see what happens.
The one brace thats come loose left kerfing intact. So I'm thinking force it back down with the method you described. The other, I think can be glued and braced or use the jack.

Last edited by fretnwail; 05-20-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair