The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Looking good!!! That Adi top looks like the brother of my SD's adi!!! Same tree maybe?

You will enjoy the process of getting that Adi to open up. I know I sure am!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Race to the finish

Here's a pic I've had for a while showing the brazilian headstock overlay and the nice straight grain brazilian fretboard...

I think this might be from the same board as John's MJ headstock overlay... Just what I asked for!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Finish Shots

As we've entered the finishing phase, progress pics have been trickling in much slower lately... BUT, John just forwarded a couple pictures of my guitar in the finish booth.

Now that was worth the wait!!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Worth the wait indeed!

I think you are going to be in quite a bind pretty soon not knowing which fabulous new guitar to pick up!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Travis,

Holy smokes - that is one beautiful looking guitar! I know that you're gonna love this thing - I can hardly put my Mayes down. That headplate looks JUST like mine - really . I'm sure they are from the same chunk of BRAZ. And it'll get way deeper in color with finish! Not long now!!!!

Already talking to John about something in the future. Not sure what, but Brazilian and Euro are on my mind.

Best of Luck!

John H.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Very Exciting Stuff Travis!!!!!!! Probably just a couple more weeks here now!!!! Seeing your binding is making me wonder if I should get the white ivoroid binding on my MJ and upgrade the back woods instead it sure looks nice!!!!!! You are in for a real treat with that guitar!!!!!!

edit: Well as you can see from my Sig I talked to John and decided to do just that. Madagascar instead of EIR and ivoroid binding

Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM

Default 2nd Mayes Order...?

You both are cracking me up thinking about another build with JM... Although, that can only mean good things- seeing as you must be very happy with your first Mayes in order to commission a second!

My second, if there were to be a second, would be an all hog... BUT I'm sure I'll be taking 2010 off from guitar buying after my Cornerstone and Mayes both land here in the last quarter of this year! But hey we can dream can't we!!

Bobby-- nice choice on the Ivoroid... I think that might be my favorite part of my brazilian L... standard feature- not too shabby.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperboy View Post
You both are cracking me up thinking about another build with JM... Although, that can only mean good things- seeing as you must be very happy with your first Mayes in order to commission a second!

My second, if there were to be a second, would be an all hog... BUT I'm sure I'll be taking 2010 off from guitar buying after my Cornerstone and Mayes both land here in the last quarter of this year! But hey we can dream can't we!!

Bobby-- nice choice on the Ivoroid... I think that might be my favorite part of my brazilian L... standard feature- not too shabby.
Yeah that trip I took to Gryphon really confirmed me ordering another Mayes!!! It is tough to beat the quality and tone for the money with John's guitars!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 AM

Good Morning Fellow Guitar Junkies

Below you'll find our early Monday morning guitar fix... This should get me through the week!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu
Thumbs up Wow!

Travis,

Not long now!! This one will be a stunning mate for your Cornerstone - I warn you that you risk being stuck in an "endless loop" going from one to the other trying to figure out which you like best, and you'll never be able to decide .... . So ... enjoy both!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM

That looks like one sweet guitar you are getting there. Congrats

The brazilian looks very nice
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

It looks great Travis!!!! Not too much longer now!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!!! Like I have said before you are in for a real treat!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Nice, very nice. I hope it comes soon!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM

Default Getting Closer

Here's a little update on my Mayes... You can see here we went with the straight, non-belly bridge. John was telling me that he thinks it allows the top to get more movement-- with less mass glued to the top. I tend to believe the builder, so I went with his recommendation...

Also, you can see here the Ivoroid buttoned Waverly's... I love the way they turned out... adds I nice touch to the headstock I think!

First really good shot of the top under finish and it looks nice with some nice silking you can see in the upper bout

Enjoy...

Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Looking really really good!!! I love the headstock overlay with the tuners!!!! You should be playing the L soon now!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop