The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Santa Cruz OM/PW - string spacing too narrow for fingerstyle?

I'm considering a Santa Cruz OM/PW for mostly fingerstyle but I'm concerned about the relatively narrow spacing of 2 3/16" at the saddle.

I've grown accustomed to Martin's 2 1/4" and my Bourgeois 2 5/16" and don't want to get the Santa Cruz and feel cramped. I don't have an opportunity to play first.

Any Santa Cruz owners find the spacing too narrow or is this a non-issue?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I'm considering a Santa Cruz OM/PW for mostly fingerstyle but I'm concerned about the relatively narrow spacing of 2 3/16" at the saddle.

I've grown accustomed to Martin's 2 1/4" and my Bourgeois 2 5/16" and don't want to get the Santa Cruz and feel cramped. I don't have an opportunity to play first.

I am more a hybrid than finger picker but do that too. Spacing is different on the guitars I have but I treat it like differences driving my wife's car or a rental - deal with it.

People who play finger style and play my 14 fret 000 Santa Cruz like it is about all I can say.

The dealers near me (Madison Music, Dave's) ship a guitar on approval. I'm sure others do.

You can make a special order or search one out too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Hi,
I guess for some people it doesn't at all matter. In my case I have a Santa Cruz OM, picked up second hand. Though I love the tone, I do often wish for a bit more string space, especially at the nut, but more room at the saddle would be cool, too.
As I don't have money for a new custom order. I have learned to get used to the spacing.
Trying before buying is a smart option if possible
john
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM

I have a SC with 2 3/16" spacing and it is definitely the smallest spacing I can handle for fingerpicking. 2 1/4" and up are my preferece if given a choice.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I saw one hanging in a store a couple months ago (customer return), took it down and put it through its paces. Non-issue. I normally play a wider spacing.

The only critical spacing for me is at the nut. I can't go any narrower than 1-3/4" while the bridge spacing has never been a consideration. I play strictly with fingernails, though, so I'm not trying to put flesh in the spacing. That makes a huge difference between people who do or don't need the wider spacing.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW and also a model FS. The FS is better for playing fingerstyle guitar because that's what it was designed for, but the OM/PW is a very good guitar for all kinds of playing. As others have noted here, the OM/PW is more of a Swiss Army Knife... If I had to choose one over the other for fingerstyle, I would choose the model FS. But that is because of the bigger sound and responsiveness of the FS.

The spacing at the bridge on the OM/PW has never been an issue for me at all, but I grew up playing fingerstyle on a Martin D-35 with 1 11/16" nut width. For whatever reason, I seem to adapt between different nut widths, different neck shapes, and different spacing at the bridge without thinking that much about it. I start to notice the difference when you get to classical guitars (2" wide nut width).

So I am probably not a good judge of whether or not there is enough room at the bridge for someone else.

- Glenn
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

i've owned an OM/PW and sold it for that very reason. even though i have no issue with taylors that have the exact specs-for some reason the neck,profile, and whatever else on the OMPW just felt cramped. i had envisioned getting a wider nut width and wider saddle string spacing on a SC built to order-just never did.

I have found Goodalls to have really good room with 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 specs-partly also due to the thicker neck profile.

good luck
d
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Strange... I have large hands and big not-so-lithe fingers, play 99% fingerstyle, and my SCGC OM/PW is the most playable guitar I own. If I ever commission a guitar, I'll use the OM/PW's nut size, string spacing, and neck profile as my template. I believe that neck profile and nut width interact with regards to fret hand comfort, but string spacing would seem to be a relatively independent variable with respect to picking hand comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
The spacing at the bridge on the OM/PW has never been an issue for me at all, but I grew up playing fingerstyle on a Martin D-35 with 1 11/16" nut width. For whatever reason, I seem to adapt between different nut widths, different neck shapes, and different spacing at the bridge without thinking that much about it.
My other guitars have 2 1/4" or 2 5/16" string spacing at the saddle and I'm happy with them too. Sort of like Glenn, I grew up playing a Takamine dread with string spacing of 2 1/8" at the saddle and a nut width of 1 11/16", so maybe that made me more comfortable with what others consider to be narrow spacing.

Scott
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I guess I better try to get my hands on one somehow before taking the leap.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I played one locally that a friend was trying to sell. I only played it for a short time but it did seem a little cramped to me. It was certainly adequate for fingerstyle play but a little extra room would have been nice too? You really should spend some time with one before pulling the trigger...IMHO. Good luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's. I guess I better try to get my hands on one somehow before taking the leap.
Yeah, best to do so. I have a different SC model with similar specs. I love playing it, but I feel the most cramped on it re other 1 11/16 nut guitars. On a "fat-finger day", it can be hard to make a simple open C chord because my index finger on the 2nd string mutes one or both adjacent strings.

Anybody else have days when your finger tips seem a little larger than usual?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18GE View Post
I have a SC with 2 3/16" spacing and it is definitely the smallest spacing I can handle for fingerpicking. 2 1/4" and up are my preferece if given a choice.
This is my opinion as well. 2 3/16 is workable, but not ideal for fingerstyle. I have average size hands and fingers, by the way.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Guest 33123

I am not a Santa Cruz owner but I guess I'm one of the few who finds the whole spacing thing (nut, saddle, etc.) irrelevant. My guitars all have different specs and I've never noticed anything going between them. I bare finger fingerpick 100% of the time and rotate my guitars every night. YMMV.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM

I own a Santa Cruz 000 12 fret with the 2 3/16" spacing. I play 99% fingerstyle and I find it cramped. I'm trying to get used to it but it's a challenge for me. I have a Martin 00-18V at 2 1/4 that I can deal with, an OM-28V at 2 5/16 which I find ideal. I will probably sell the Santa Cruz and end up with a Martin 000-28VS with the 2 5/16.

It's all personal preference but I think you are asking the right question as to whether it will work for you. I would advise trying before buying if possible.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM

A friend and accomplished fingerstyle player let me play his OM/PW for the better part of a week. I play 95% fingerstyle and I had no issues with width. It was easy to play and very responsive. I did not like the modified V though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion