The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Default GC7 verses GC3 tone comparison help please

GC7 verses GC3 tone comparison help please
Hello,

I do not have much experience with Taylor guitars. I played a friend's 810 that sounded nice. I played a Big Baby that sounded nice for the size...

Then....

The Taylor GC7 I played recently sounded very good to my ears fingerstyle. It has a 24.9 scale and looks like a fine instrument. The cedar top must influence my affection for this work of art. (I'm impressed and experiencing GAS).

Is there any love for the GC series here? I'd like to find a GC3 to compare to the GC7. If the tone is as impressive, I might save $1000. I enjoy mahogany guitars too.

I would like one of my 3 acoustics to be short scale to reduce hand stress. The GC7 body size is nice relative bass response. I have a Martin 000-15S, a Larrivee L-03, and a Sigma DR-41. The DR-41 will be replaced most likely.

I should take the L-03 to the store to play it back to back with the GC7 too.

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM

I would expect the 7 and 3 to be very different guitars... rosewood vs. mahogany AND cedar vs. spruce. Just by virtue of size, I'd expect the L to be very different than either.

Caveat: think twice about trying a shorter scale. You may never go back. (grin) My Larrivee Parlor has ruined me for long(er) scales.

Ed
Old 12-15-2007, 12:40 PM

Default My opinion

I'm a big fan of the GC size. I'm a 99% fingerstyle player so it makes the most sense. However I've play some GSs and R Taylors that are great for fingerstyle as well.

The GC7 will sound much more warm and full than the GC3.
The GC3 will sound much more bright and probably more clear than the GC7.

If you're a guy who wants a "warm" sounding fingerstyle guitar, the GC7 is the one. The down side MIGHT be that the GC7 gets to "warm" as it ages.
If you need a guitar that IMO is a better "all around" guitar, consider the GC3. The down side is that the GC3 might never be as "warm" as other guitars.

All that being said, there are variances in the each case.

I hope that helps!

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Ps

P.S.

I agree with ED422. Short Scales are great, and if you get on you may "never go back".

Old 12-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Aloha,
I have the GC3 and compared it to the GC5 & GC7 before buying. I loved the tone of the GC5 & 7 better than the GC3, but what I was looking for was a beater couch guitar that I can take to the beach with no worries. So I got the GC3, but if you are looking for a main guitar I'd choose the GC7, but then again since you like the mahogany sound, the GC5 might be just right for you....
Gook Luck!

A string here, a string there...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Default nice call!

Nice call Kiamana450k!

I was thinking the very same thing! A GC5 might be the best of both worlds.

Or... special order a 514 in a short scale. Last I knew to it wasn't very much money (not mentioning prices here.... check with your Taylor dealer) to have a guitar made in a short scale.

Stuff to think about...

Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 PM

Kaimana,

What Island are you on? I went to the big island just this last summer. Very enjoyable!

Wow, thanks for the info guys. My 000-15S and my L-03 are warm enough. A Larrivee parlor could even be the ticket for me. If I could just find one to play... or buy one used off ebay cheap. They don't look too cheap right now...
Old 12-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Location: Wheeling, West Virginia area, 1 hour from Pittsburgh, PA

I've been considering the same 3 models. I like the cedar tops. Most spruce taylors sound too bright for my taste. I tried a GC5 locally, and love it.....havent found a GC7 yet. The 5 seems to sound better than every taylor in the store, to me. Seems to me the slotted headstock has something to do with it. I'll probably end up with the 5....I tend to prefer mahogany lately.
I was considering an older used 412, but all the "revoicing", and the recent deeper depth for the GC confirms my theory of older ones sounding thin and too trebly. What have you all concluded from comparisons of older style vs. newer re-voiced?
How does one get a price quote on special orders from Taylor? thx.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Default The New GC

I bought a new GC7 about 2 weeks ago and love it. I sold my GS5... a great guitar but not what I was looking for. There is nothing thin or tinny about either guitar. I do agree it's substantially different than previous Taylor Grand Concerts. The revoicing and the depth?

If you're interested... my local small shop can get you/sell you a new one for substantially less than what I've seen listed anywhere else.

Am I breaking the rules to mention a dealer here? I apologize in advance if I am. Tobias Music in Downers Grove IL has been around for nearly 30 years and are a fantastic family run business. I truly think it would be hard to be their price or service.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
Kaimana,

What Island are you on? I went to the big island just this last summer. Very enjoyable!
Aloha, I'm on the Big Island, were most of the Koa comes from. Next time your on island let me know, we have an excellent Taylor Dealer in my lil town of Hilo. Great to work with, and a couple of times he double ordered Taylors that I was interested and I took home the one I liked better, then the put the other one on the wall for sale....

Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar1580 View Post
What have you all concluded from comparisons of older style vs. newer re-voiced?
How does one get a price quote on special orders from Taylor? thx.
Not a totally fair or scientific comparison, but here goes...

2003 K12ce custom, pre-re-voiced vs. 2007 GC3 revoiced.

K12: Koa/Engleman. More mellow, opened up nicely, not very loud, but nice complex sound, with great overtones. Love the standard scale. Definate improvement over the short 4 years that I have had her.

GC3: Sapele/Sitka. Very present, noticebly louder than the K12, a bit tight, and not yet opened up, good sustain, but tone is very good, but not yet great. For the money, the GC3 wins hands down. Short scale is great in standard tuning, but to loose and buzzes easily when slacked down to open G, or anything lower.

Had I to choose one over the other, what would I do? Well I would sell both and order a custom GC-Ke standard scale! My local dealer has one in stock, and I can't help but drool!

Oh, and a GC-Ke Cedar would be a close second!

Hope this helps.
Aloha

Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 PM

I'd like to try one of the GC's. I've been really impressed with the GS's. I'd like a chance to try a GC against my 10 year old 422 (maple/spruce x12 body). I didn't know the GC was deeper than the x12 though. Does anyone have those measurements handy? I'm still thinking the scale is a bit longer than my ambitions along with the lower bout width.

Ed
Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I've found the GAs to have a much fuller, richer sound than the GCs. Do yourself a favor and try a GA before you make your decision.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion