The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Question about Tascam PortaStudio

Hi, everyone. I'm considering buying a used Tascam PortaStudio DP-02, just to play around with since I've all the sudden started to write some songs. Is that a good little tool to get me started? It would just be acoustic guitar and vocal, and maybe overdub a second guitar or mandolin.

Also, could you folks recommend a large board (or boards) on the Net similar to AGF that covers home recording, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I would say depends on your personal techno-capacity, Charmed. I gave my DP-02FX to my nephew.

I'm a geek by day who goes into a sort of dreamy, intuitive zone when I play music that leaves me incapable of managing anything very complicated. Besides the DP-02FX I've been baffled by numerous "simple," "user friendly" recording devices. Sold or gave em all away. My current solution is to record on an app on my Android phone; with just Start and Stop buttons, and a few file mgmt & sharing functions, that works for me. But not the highest quality output. See the Soundcloud link in my signature for an example. A fellow AGFer tho recently pointed me towards a new experiment in which I'll run voice and guitar into my mixer with USB Out to my laptop where I've got free Audacity software installed. See what happens!

Good luck!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-11-2014, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
I would say depends on your personal techno-capacity, Charmed. I gave my DP-02FX to my nephew.

I'm a geek by day who goes into a sort of dreamy, intuitive zone when I play music that leaves me incapable of managing anything very complicated. Besides the DP-02FX I've been baffled by numerous "simple," "user friendly" recording devices. Sold or gave em all away. My current solution is to record on an app on my Android phone; with just Start and Stop buttons, and a few file mgmt & sharing functions, that works for me. But not the highest quality output. See the Soundcloud link in my signature for an example. A fellow AGFer tho recently pointed me towards a new experiment in which I'll run voice and guitar into my mixer with USB Out to my laptop where you've got free Audacity software installed. See what happens!

Good luck!
Appreciate your input, Random. I'll click on your link when I'm not on the run like now.

Reminds me of the famous Groucho Marx line. Someone says to him, "A five-year-old child could figure that out," and Groucho says, "Somebody run out and find me a five-year-child." Yes, it might be a little above my technical capacity. I've yet to take the hyper-space leap to a smartphone, so we'll see.

In the interim, I'm probably gonna get one of those small Sony digital handheld recorders. Those are really cheap, even brand-new. We shall see.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD