The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM

I've always had the intuition that gluing the fretboard down was part of the system that makes up the neck joint. As the guitar wants to fold up in the direction of string pull and the neck block wants to rotate then the fretboard extension will act as a sort of brace for that situation.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat =^,^=
Old 05-08-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've always had the intuition that gluing the fretboard down was part of the system that makes up the neck joint. As the guitar wants to fold up in the direction of string pull and the neck block wants to rotate then the fretboard extension will act as a sort of brace for that situation.
I used to think that too, until Howard Klepper kindly pointed out that due to the weakening of the fretboard extension by the multiple fret slots , the bracing effect of the extension is minimal at best.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I used to think that too, until Howard Klepper kindly pointed out that due to the weakening of the fretboard extension by the multiple fret slots , the bracing effect of the extension is minimal at best.
I said that?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I cut my slots just a wee bit deeper than necessary but there is still plenty of wood left, more then a regular old Popsicle brace. Plus once you put the frets in the slots you fill the kerf back up and gain more strength.

But I don't know. Like I said it's just my intuition I have never tested it and am not sure how I could.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I said that?
Yes indeed Howard ... can't put my finger on the thread right at this moment, but as I recollect the gist was that the extension provides lateral reinforcement but not so much in the vertical plane. It may have been a thread on the UMGF, but I think it was on here ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair