The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 PM

I don't remember ever doing that. I remember I had three different girl friends come to gigs my band and I played in during the '60s, but it wasn't just for them. My wife has been to a couple of places I've played in public, but, again, it's not just for her.

When I was younger I don't think I ever felt secure enough to do that...or I had girl friends who didn't really care. Probably a little of both.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 PM

I call it "the woo". I've done "the woo" several times (mostly successfully), but never on the first date. I have had a couple of memorable first dates though with music involved. One where we both brought our guitars to the park, had a picnic and strummed and sang under a cottonwood tree. Another where I brought my guitar and she brought her flute and made music after a nice hike in the mountains. "Playing music with" is different from "playing music for" (aka "the woo")
Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Anybody Ever Play For a Girl on a Date?

A few times. Never finished a song.
Girls will do anything to get me to shut up!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 AM

No.

however, when we were dating in college my girlfriend (now wife) both decided to learn guitar at about the same time.

We both learned a lot faster after she bought a 6-string. (yes learning to play guitar on a 12 is probably a bad idea in retrospect)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Usually I had something else on my mind.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:45 AM

I did once in college, and then she picked up the guitar and put me to shame. Never again!

Friends are the Family we choose

1967 Gibson J50
2002 Martin D28
2002 Yamaha F335
2012 Taylor GS Mini
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Yep. Puked all over me. I seem to have that effect on most women.

Tom
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedro View Post
I did once in college, and then she picked up the guitar and put me to shame. Never again!
That would hurt.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM

I never pick and tell...
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Isn't this the purpose of the guitar?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM

Yes, I love playing guitar for my dates, and have played them on 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 25th dates. Sometimes I invite them out to an open mic or one of my shows, or I serrenade my date on a park bench, in a coffee shop or cafe. Coincidently, I have a date tonight, she is coming by my place tonight, and we are going to make smores together. I'm probally going to serrenade her again.

If guitar is really a big part of you and what you like to do, i don't find anything wrong with playing guitar for a girl on the first date. The first date, afterall, is about getting to know the other person, and the guitar is really integral to who I am.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Our second date began at my place where I played a fingerstyle progression (inspired by Dust in the Wind) for her. I told her I often opened my apartment window so the music could be heard on the street and thereby not feel so alone. "That will make women come to you" she said. Nine years later I still play it in our home, and it's named after her, my wife and soulmate. Love you forever sweeetie.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

I did and she ended up marrying me. We are in our 20th year together and still very much in love. Music fixes everything.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limache View Post
...Curious as to a show of hands, who here started learning guitar because of a girl?
Dated four young ladies over the years who started learning guitar because of me - all sang, one was a killer keyboard player, worked professionally with two of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I played for my girlfriend, now my wife of almost 14 years. I had two acoustic guitars. One was a (then) 16 year-old Takamine, and it wound up staying in her apartment...She wouldn't let me take the guitar out, afraid I wouldn't come back. I still have my lady and that guitar, and I will never trade either...
God bless, Mike - I had a similar situation that didn't work out anywhere near as well, when one of the aforementioned young ladies (with whom I was already working) expressed a sudden and intense interest in taking up guitar - more specifically, the D-45 I owned at the time (and yeah, she knew exactly what it was and how much it was worth) - and coyly suggested that I "leave it with her so she would have something to practice on" (yeah, right... ). Maybe it was my M.S. in psychology, maybe it was just my gut that told me something wasn't right, but I bought her a new Takamine F360S and Mel Bay Complete Guitar Method for her birthday and offered to give her lessons twice a week. Long story short: within three months she lost all interest in the guitar, the band, and our relationship (in that order); re-encountered my wife at grad school two weeks later, been together 25 years (married 23 as of last July), netted almost $6K when financial circumstances forced me to sell the D-45 in 2001...

"Someone saved my life tonight, Sugar Bear;
Almost had your hooks in me, didn't you dear;
You nearly had me roped and tied..
."
- Elton John
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I did. Got arrested too in a sting. Wait... You said PLAY? Oh never mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion