The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Being a poor Slope D guy, I have a 12-fret Epi Masterbilt that I love a lot. Cedar top and Rosewood B&S... Mmmm. Sounds so warm but projects so well.
Others that I have played extensively and love (but cant afford right now at age 19) are the Guild Orpheum Slope D, the Huss and Dalton 00 Custom, and the Martin D18VS. All killer guitars, all a little different.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Waiting on my first 12 fret Martin dread...should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Perhaps a Halcyon 000? My Halcyon 000 with 12 frets is pretty nice!
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes, you need to think outside the box. I have several Taylors and consider myself a "Taylor guy." Love the feel and sound. My 814 is, to my eye, one of the prettiest guitars I have seen. Pretty much: the one.

Then, all this talk about 12-frets, including an interview with Bob Taylor on one of the guitar podcasts. I tried an 812 12-fret while at the Taylor factory earlier this year. Oh my goodness - it just felt and sounded RIGHT. Since my 814 was only a few months old, I put aside any idea of adding a 12-fret to the stable.

We spent the summer on our boat. The 814 stayed home, in climate-controlled comfort. My trusty GSmini came with us again. Sometime during the summer, my wife saw me looking at carbon fiber guitars and asked, "Is it time for another guitar?" She asked about the carbon fiber, I explained how they were good for changing climate situations... and we move around a lot. I showed her the limited edition Rainsong Shorty 12-fret from LA Guitar Sales, she loved the sharks on the fretboard, and said, "Let's get it!"

The Shorty is very close to the Taylor x12 12-frets in size and shape. The sound is different, but the Rainsong Shorty adds some interesting variety to my small collection. I used it to play out shortly after in came... the sound is crisp (not thin), rich, and "shimmery." (Some say: piano-like) LOTS of nice comments from the audience.

I love the size, sound, and feel. No doubt, some wood-purists will scoff. I'm OK with that. I didn't buy it to please anyone but myself... and the Blonde I'm married to. Truth be told, it was the guitar playing that hooked her when we were both teenagers.

Another consideration.

Captain Jim

I don't think Ted will mind me posting this photo from LA Guitar Sales...

Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Cool Recommendations for a 12-fret guitar...

I'm another Recording King owner, and mine is rather plain, an ROS-06 with Fishman electronics, tortoise binding, solid Sitka/mahogany, standard style 28 rosette, triangle bridge, rosewood fretboard, no fretboard dots, and open gear butterbean tuners, gloss finish. It sounds fantastic, very well balanced between bass, mids and trebles. I also got mine with finish scratches on the back (that nobody can see), and the best thing...it was under $300. It has been mistaken for a Martin on several occasions. Highly recommend this instrument. A lot of bang for the buck!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 AM

I started playing 12 frets for one reason: My large hands. I had always struggled with getting clean sound from a guitar (except when I played a classical). A knowledgable friend, found me a D-28s many years ago and that changed everything. It's gone now but for the last 16 years, I have played a Collings Ds2h. I recently picked up a Martin 00-28vs which I also like very much. I believe at that level of quality, it would be hard to find one that would not make a fine guitar for someone. It's really all about what you like, not us and you live in a city where you could play more fine guitars in one day than I could find in a year so what are you doing here? hit the streets bro!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Froggy Bottom C - incredibly resonant and lively. Open with a very rich tone. Never too much, never too little. Highly recommend.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 AM

I've a Beneteau OO 12 fretter (Alaskan Sitka and Cocobolo) and it's just so articulate, sweet, responsive and loud.

Marc knocked it out of the park!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM

Let's see...I've owned 2 00-21s, a D-28s,a D-35S, and currently own a Bourgeois DS-260.
All were wonderful guitars!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM

This may have already been mentioned in a previous post, but I would highly recommend a cutaway in a 12 fret model. I've owned both. A 12 fret Hoffman concert cutaway and a 12 fret Collings OOO-2H standard. When you need access to anywhere around the 10th fret you'll have it. The visual appeal of a dreadnought doesn't work for everyone, but a smaller sized body with a cutaway seems to work.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Gotta Vote for the Larrivee 12 fretters for sure.
The Martin 000-15S (and their ilk) are also darn nice
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM

I am particularly partial to Froggy Bottom H12s. Mine is an H12c

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by handers; 10-07-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 AM

I love the 12 fret guitars, especially when they have the 1 13/16" neck. I have a DS1A Collings, OOO1KG Collings, Blueridge BR 361, and a OOO28 12 fret built in Borges shop. That in combination with God knows how many Nationals is a good indication of how I hold them in high regard.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Got me a RK ROS-626 12 fretter (mahogany back+sides) which I've had for a couple of years now. Just last night I was playing it and was thinking that it's really starting to sound good. I replaced the original pegs w/ tusq and I've taken some wood off the braces with a tiny thumb plane and sandpaper. I wouldn't recommend this unless your very careful and are willing to gamble somewhat but I'm glad I did it because like I said, she's starting to sound really good. No negative effect as of yet anyway. The fit and finish on this guitar is very good IMO. I bought 3 MIC guitars mailorder in the last 3 years or so and have been more than happy w/ each. Just saying...

Tom
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 PM

The only 12-fretter that I get to play, besides my Takamine classical A/E, is the Taylor 12-fret GC that is hanging on a wall at the local "mom & pop" music store here in town. Wish I had 3 grand to buy the thing...it has "that sound" that I've heard from albums.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion