The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Okay so anyone that uses a 'tool' that you may not approve is a bad musician, even if most of 'us' don't need them.
While they might not be my cup of tea, good musicians/singer do in fact use gadgets. I randomly listened to one gent in this thread who is very good, but uses some devices I would not choose to. I wouldn't dream of denigrating his talent, though.

What I object to is someone who passes themselves off as a singer who can't do it without a pitch corrector. Same on guitar.

If you can put you and your guitar in front of a pair of mics with no effects and sing/play a song decently BUT you choose to use gadgets, fine.

Simple.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-28-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: edited comments because previous quote is deleted
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post

If you can put you and your guitar in front of a pair of mics with no effects and sing/play a song decently BUT you choose to use gadgets, fine.
Can't disagree with that.

M

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-28-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Can't disagree with that.

M
Thank you for actually (and accurately) reading what I wrote.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:34 AM

Default yes

I use a Boss VE5 I believe but not so much for pitch correction , as the many other features that adds lushness to the vocals, tone , depth , EQ , minor preamping , and about 6 other things that can give an average singer a slightly more professional sound , reverb .. on and on ..all in one tiny box with 4 AAs . Its a great addition other than DRY . and Harmony ...used very sparingly ..
Old 12-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcmichael View Post
I have a ve-20 and use the harmony part, usually full on 3 and 5. I like it. It has allowed me to do songs that I would not have considered before...
You can still sing songs without a machine doing harmonies for you, you know. People do it every day!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
You can still sing songs without a machine doing harmonies for you, you know. People do it every day!
Thank goodness!

If you're playing solo - play solo. If you want a duet or trio, play in a duet or trio.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 AM

OMG. People. Worry about your own stuff. Sheesh. Just wow, it's a judgement fest.

Be nice.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Yes, it is absurd to criticize what another person uses to get their point across. You will always find a person who draws the line at a more conservative point than you do. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with that when it comes to personal choices.

The problem comes when you take your position as the only one that has integrity and call people who are more conservative in their gear absurd if they think your looper is cheating and yet call anyone who uses something you wouldn't, talentless.

People use varying degrees of technology to express their art. Decide whether you like it or not and listen or turn it off. I'd just suggest staying away from judging someone just because you don't share their vision.

There is an awful lot of music out there that is without a doubt performed by someone who has honed their craft - it's not always gonna resonate with me. That doesn't mean the person doesn't have talent. Take the example of Phil Collins in the 80's. He produced a bunch of songs with drum machines. I'm pretty sure that didn't make him a talentless drummer. You can decide if you want to listen to "In the Air Tonight" or not - but Phil is still a great drummer.

Just because I use a harmonizer occasionally, doesn't mean I can't sing without it. You can decide whether or not you want to listen - you can even decide whether or not my singing is worth listening to - but the use of the harmonizer isn't the deciding factor on whether or not I have talent. I play many, many songs without harmonizers, loopers, capos, pickups, amplifiers, reverb, microphones and picks. I will choose from this list of tools depending on the situation, not out of necessity, but in an effort to express the song in a way that will move an audience.

Have a listen to "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heep, you might like it or not. Lotsa harmonizer there and a fair bit of talent on display as well.

I would never choose for anyone else how they express their music or judge their choices. To each his/her own. I'm not always going to appreciate someone else's vision, but their ability to express it is what makes the world a wonderful and varied place.

Peace folks,

Mike

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-28-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: deleted quote and adjusted response
Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm told that "if you can't learn to play your guitar well enough to carry the performance without using loops, go home and practice." Sorry, I'll stand by what I said -- and I'm guessing Phil Keaggy and many many others will agree -- that's just an absurd statement. But I'm the bad guy...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 PM

Use what you want to make good music. Unlike some, I won't judge you.

hunter

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-28-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: deleted quote and adjusted response
Old 12-17-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
The problem comes when you take your position as the only one that has integrity and call people who are more conservative in their gear absurd if they think your looper is cheating and yet call anyone who uses something you wouldn't, talentless.
Peace folks,

Mike
Maybe it would have been easier to grasp if I had just said this. My bad. Thanks.

hunter
Old 12-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

We use the TC G-XT Harmony pedal. I can't sing well and I definitely can't harmonize at ALL, so we use this pedal for the wife to add some harmonies to the covers where it's expected. It's a great little pedal that allows more than enough different types of harmonies to be created and used. We also use it if a little reverb on her vocals. I use the SA220's reverb for my guitar. We do not use pitch correction (she doesn't need it) or any of the other processing.

If I could sing harmonies, I would. But this pedal allows us to use high, higher, low, lower, octave, and dual modes, with two voices each. I've programmed maybe 10 different settings. We love it. Not cheating at all, in my opinion. I've never had anyone complain to say it sounded bad.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We use the TC G-XT Harmony pedal. I can't sing well and I definitely can't harmonize at ALL, so we use this pedal for the wife to add some harmonies to the covers where it's expected. It's a great little pedal that allows more than enough different types of harmonies to be created and used. We also use it if a little reverb on her vocals. I use the SA220's reverb for my guitar. We do not use pitch correction (she doesn't need it) or any of the other processing.

If I could sing harmonies, I would. But this pedal allows us to use high, higher, low, lower, octave, and dual modes, with two voices each. I've programmed maybe 10 different settings. We love it. Not cheating at all, in my opinion. I've never had anyone complain to say it sounded bad.
When you say you don't use any of the other processing, I hope you don't mean the "tone" button. It adds a bit of nice eq, a touch of compression and some de-essing. I've yet to hear anyone whose tone wasn't improved.

Mike
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Early on in this thread (post #16), I wrote about using a vocal harmonizer. It doesn't correct my singing - if I sing off key, so do the harmonies.

I haven't recorded myself... until yesterday. My wife asked me to record some of what I play, for her. Here's what a vocal harmonizer does...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/im-your-captain

I've been playing for a lot of years; if someone here feels this is an "abomination," I'll be OK. I'm a big boy... managed to get by playing out for about 47 years before I found my way onto this forum.

I played this song once in a while before getting the harmonizer - I like it better with the harmony.

Captain Jim
Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM

vocal processors are for reverb and eq and other effects, pitch correction is just one element...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification