The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 AM

Default Anyone use vocal processing ?

I was looking at the digitec vocalist 3 processor. Has anybody used it, and what do you think about it ?
Would you think it a bit ' naff ' if you saw a live guitar/vocalist using one at the local boozer ?. What I mean is, would you prefer a real, dry approach to the performance ( guitar and mic only ), or is it considered acceptable to use voice processing for harmonies etc.
Unlike using a capo, this, to me, would feel a little bit like cheating. But, if everyone else is using them, why should I put myself at a disadvantage ?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

It a bit like "fx" on photos - you tend to pay attention to the effect rather than the actual.

Bit naff.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:45 AM

I just picked up a Boss VE-2, something simple to add a bit of background vocals sparingly. I have not used it live, yet.

The other guitarist in my band sings as well but we cover songs that have multiple vocals and background vocals. I'm not looking to have the boss on all the time, but here and there if it calls for it on the song.
Anderson Crowdster Plus
Anderson Crowdster 2+
Takamine EF-360S
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I use a mic mechanic. It provides superb vocal tone, has different reverb settings, and pitch correction.

I absolutely dislike hearing "dry" vocals amplified. Amplifying music and vocals, strips the ambience or air from them so a little "processing" can provide a polished sound.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM

I have a VoiceLive 2 that I've used on gigs for a while. I don't use the vocal processing but I love using the harmonies (very customizable) for some songs.

There are a lot of songs that I play that need harmonies or I wouldn't perform them, so it opens up a lot of potential songs.

If I wasn't semi-retired I would buy a VoiceLive 3, the quality of these processors improves every few years, dialed in properly you can get a pretty natural sound. I'd much rather be playing in a band, but at my age most folks are retired from gigging, so the processors serve a purpose but certainly not like being in a band.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM

+1 on the Mic Mechanic... the reverb is sweet, and the EQ, Compression, De-essing and Gating button really lifts my super low husky nothing voice and does wonders. I run the pitch correction on about 30% as I'm not too pitchy. A great little vocal box for me.
Ripstik
Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 AM

I've got TC Helicon's Harmony G-XT and love it. The harmonies and processing sound great.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Adding vocal harmonies seems reasonable to me, but turning on a machine to clean up deficiencies in one's voice ... I dunno.

One is creating the rather innocent (and fairly obvious) illusion that there are other musicians playing/singing along ... sort of like having a drum machine.

The other is more devious, in that it actually creates the illusion that you are a better singer than you are by artificially enhancing your talent level.

I have read that a great many professional singers do in fact, use vocal enhancement both in recording and on stage. There are entertainers making tons of money, who sound very ordinary singing live without the aid of this vocal enhancement.

Well, okay if doing that is acceptable, then I'm certainly not going to worry about criticism for using a music sheet stand or an iPad to help me remember lyrics.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 11-26-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM

Count me among the good listeners who despise vocal pitch correction, overcompression and overprocessing. Soon as I hear that stuff I switch it off. I'd rather hear a live band making mistakes all night than a recording of fake perfection.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Just picked up the TC Helicon Singer. Have not used it yet but I believe it will be usful to add just a TOUCH of background harmony in some songs. I have heard examples here and elsewhere and too heavy a hand, ( as in most things) seems like a surefire way to ruin it. Thanks to all who provided sounds clips of the device, really helped.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just picked up the TC Helicon Singer. Have not used it yet but I believe it will be usful to add just a TOUCH of background harmony in some songs. I have heard examples here and elsewhere and too heavy a hand, ( as in most things) seems like a surefire way to ruin it. Thanks to all who provided sounds clips of the device, really helped.
GHS, where could I find those sound clips you mentioned. Are they on-line somewhere ?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Guest 728

With all the tools at one's disposal in the studio, it seems a little odd to eschew any processing live. After all, a PADI is a processor, as is an amp or a P.A., right? I've never used a vocal processor, but unless the thing is somehow channeling someone else's voice, I wouldn't have any objection to it. Used judiciously, of course.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Anyone use vocal processing?
Of course not!!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
With all the tools at one's disposal in the studio, it seems a little odd to eschew any processing live. After all, a PADI is a processor, as is an amp or a P.A., right? I've never used a vocal processor, but unless the thing is somehow channeling someone else's voice, I wouldn't have any objection to it. Used judiciously, of course.
I agree. I use a TC Helicon Voice Live 2 with my duo, trio and band. 2 of us sing but it's nice to have 3 part harmonies on some songs. I rarely use more than the 3rd above and very judiciously. It's not near as obvius you are using anything with 2 people and adding a 3rd vs. one person and adding a 3rd or even 3rd and 5th. As far as the processing, nobody is at the top of their game every night. I use a bit of pitch correction & compression, although the pitch correction rarely kicks in. It actually helps you to sing in tune because you will hear both your voice and the corrcted voice if you sing flat, almost sounds like a harmony. It's helped me concentrate on not singing flat.
Bottom line is, do what it takes to make the audience and club owner have you back.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Adding vocal harmonies seems reasonable to me, but turning on a machine to clean up deficiencies in one's voice ... I dunno.

One is creating the rather innocent (and fairly obvious) illusion that there are other musicians playing/singing along ... sort of like having a drum machine.

The other is more devious, in that it actually creates the illusion that you are a better singer than you are by artificially enhancing your talent level.

I have read that a great many professional singers do in fact, use vocal enhancement both in recording and on stage. There are entertainers making tons of money, who sound very ordinary singing live without the aid of this vocal enhancement.

Well, okay if doing that is acceptable, then I'm certainly not going to worry about criticism for using a music sheet stand or an iPad to help me remember lyrics.
I disagree.
Not even going to get into the whys and wherefors. I disagree.
Fender Telecaster 72 Thinline
Aria ProII Nk700 Thru Neck refitted Passive Pick Ups
Line 6 FlextoneII XL
Roland MicroCube

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-28-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: rule #1
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification