The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I am sure you won't be the last one to pull out a system. Be sure to log your findings here. Good luck.
Please log your process in a thread here on AGF, it would greatly benefit people like myself who don't have a certified Taylor repair shop within reasonable distance or have a reasonable means to ship the guitar to the factory.

Here are some threads that could help you in your endeavor. It's not the ES2, but I did rip out the ES1 in my 2011 Taylor and you might find a lot of the photos similar (e.g. removing the knobs, removing the endpin jack from the housing, etc.).

A simple way to remove Taylor ES knobs (EQ/preamp controls)
Retrofit K&K+Lyric into Taylor ES
Retrofit K&K UltraPure Mini System into Taylor ES Cut-outs...

Good luck. BTW, I figured out a dependable way to use the Taylor ES knobs with any type of potentiometer if you decide you'd like to keep the look the same. I use the low-profile Taylor ES knobs because they're the only ones I've found that don't get spun around by my guitar strap when I take off and put on my guitar.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Please log your process in a thread here on AGF, it would greatly benefit people like myself who don't have a certified Taylor repair shop within reasonable distance or have a reasonable means to ship the guitar to the factory.

Here are some threads that could help you in your endeavor. It's not the ES2, but I did rip out the ES1 in my 2011 Taylor and you might find a lot of the photos similar (e.g. removing the knobs, removing the endpin jack from the housing, etc.).

A simple way to remove Taylor ES knobs (EQ/preamp controls)
Retrofit K&K+Lyric into Taylor ES
Retrofit K&K UltraPure Mini System into Taylor ES Cut-outs...

Good luck. BTW, I figured out a dependable way to use the Taylor ES knobs with any type of potentiometer if you decide you'd like to keep the look the same. I use the low-profile Taylor ES knobs because they're the only ones I've found that don't get spun around by my guitar strap when I take off and put on my guitar.
Thanks Joe.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 12-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
I've posted about my woes with the Taylor ES2 system in my new 522ce before and really cannot tolerate this thing anymore.

Has anyone removed this system from their guitar? When you remove the battery from the back, it looks like there are just two screws holding the input assembly in and then one wire running up to the circuit board in the upper bout.

I would like to install a K&K but I'm unclear or whether or not I can use the Taylor input jack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....Willie
I've done this on 3 different guitars now for other people. I don't remember the details of how I did it but I did use the Taylor jack plate and battery access, with a slight modification. The guitar owner's were not concerned about their Taylor warranties! I didn't use the Taylor jack but I fit the new jack into their bracket. It looked great in the end and I don't recall it being all that difficult to accomplish. I also completely removed the pickup components from the bridge and saddle, filled the empty holes with black epoxy and sanded to bridge with some 220 to 320 grit and then steel wool. You could hardly tell anything had been there before.
I agree with your assessment of the ES 2. I'll admit i've heard worse but I don't think they've solved the mystery of how to best amplify your acoustic guitar by any stretch. I could never find a setting I was satisfied with when adjusting those screws!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
I've done this on 3 different guitars now for other people. I don't remember the details of how I did it but I did use the Taylor jack plate and battery access, with a slight modification. The guitar owner's were not concerned about their Taylor warranties! I didn't use the Taylor jack but I fit the new jack into their bracket. It looked great in the end and I don't recall it being all that difficult to accomplish. I also completely removed the pickup components from the bridge and saddle, filled the empty holes with black epoxy and sanded to bridge with some 220 to 320 grit and then steel wool. You could hardly tell anything had been there before.
I agree with your assessment of the ES 2. I'll admit i've heard worse but I don't think they've solved the mystery of how to best amplify your acoustic guitar by any stretch. I could never find a setting I was satisfied with when adjusting those screws!
Simon,
Thank you, I appreciate your input on this.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 12-20-2014, 01:44 AM

You can order a cutaway without electronics from Taylor, it's just not an option many dealers would choose...

I'm not sure why you're so adamant that you don't want to even try to have this replaced - if I had a guitar under warranty with a problem than i would want it sorted regardless of how much I liked the guitar...

Taylors are so consistent that I would want to get the system fixed and investigate ordering a non-electro cutaway model...
Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 AM

I really like Taylor guitars but the ES2 however good it is is the most evasive system they have come up with really. Holes and a slot in the top and bridge to feed in the system from underneath? No thank you.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Anyone remove the new ES2 system from a Taylor?

+1 double neck. I'm a huge Taylor fan (truly) but it seems they are more committed to controlling their own electronic ecosystem than objectively provides viable options from LR Baggs, Fis hman and others. I give them props for an innovative culture, but let's be honest, the ES system has been controversial from its introduction and it appears to continue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification