The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Adding speaker with Fishman SA330

Currently gigging solo with the 330 and using a Fishman Loudbox Artist as a monitor. I'm happy with the sound and performance from both but I'm starting to run into some bigger rooms and outdoor venues where there simply isn't enough power to cover the area I need to.

I'd like to pick up another speaker, perhaps a 10 or 12" (or 8"?) and run it off either the 330, loudbox or working in a mixer. If that is suitable, does anybody have experience doing this and what speaker and/or mixer would you suggest (and is a mixer really necessary for this setup)? - Preferably speakers in the $200-400 range..

I've also seen people using a pair of 220/330s, which of course is much more expensive but also wondering if anyone does this and your thoughts on it, thanks....
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sichting81 View Post

I've also seen people using a pair of 220/330s, which of course is much more expensive but also wondering if anyone does this and your thoughts on it, thanks....
My Trio uses two 220's which are linked together via the "monitor in & monitor out". We have yet to come across a venue it cannot handle, indoor or out.

I am not convinced that we need extra speakers either for bass response nor coverage.

Steve
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM

Last year I played an odd shaped outdoor gig. I used my SA 330 pointed toward the shorter side of the venue linked to one of my QSC K10.2 speakers. I just used the Fishman's mixer and controlled the QSC's volume from the back of the QSC. I know that speaker is expensive but there are quite a few available within your price range. It worked out great and the sound carried to all points per the club owner.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM

You are only using the Loudbox Artist as a monitor? That's one expensive monitor! Why not us the Loudbox as an extra audience speaker and either get a cheap $100 monitor for yourself or just position the SA330 where you can hear it well and it will also serve as your monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sichting81 View Post
Currently gigging solo with the 330 and using a Fishman Loudbox Artist as a monitor. I'm happy with the sound and performance from both but I'm starting to run into some bigger rooms and outdoor venues where there simply isn't enough power to cover the area I need to.

I'd like to pick up another speaker, perhaps a 10 or 12" (or 8"?) and run it off either the 330, loudbox or working in a mixer. If that is suitable, does anybody have experience doing this and what speaker and/or mixer would you suggest (and is a mixer really necessary for this setup)? - Preferably speakers in the $200-400 range..

Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
You are only using the Loudbox Artist as a monitor? That's one expensive monitor! Why not us the Loudbox as an extra audience speaker and either get a cheap $100 monitor for yourself or just position the SA330 where you can hear it well and it will also serve as your monitor?
I don't know exactly what kind of spaces the OP is aiming at (despite his fine description) but that's a good point.

It's also been killing me not to ask: I assume, Sichting, you are already using the Fishman sub that goes with the SA330x? I ask only because I see people who don't, and in smaller spaces that's fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM

The sub would add bottom end, but that might not add enough coverage and volume for larger venues. The OP said he was a solo act and if you are just singing and playing an acoustic guitar, there really is no need for a sub. Now if you are adding percussion or other instruments, then yes a sub can add something to the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
It's also been killing me not to ask: I assume, Sichting, you are already using the Fishman sub that goes with the SA330x? I ask only because I see people who don't, and in smaller spaces that's fine.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

The sub would add bottom end, but that might not add enough coverage and volume for larger venues.

Agreed.

The OP said he was a solo act and if you are just singing and playing an acoustic guitar, there really is no need for a sub.

Well... I don't fully endorse that. I think many if not most solo SA330x singers would agree that having the sub adds fullness and depth not available with the stick alone, even though the stick does a great job in smaller spaces. I mean I've done my singer/songwriter shtick though my Bose L1 Compact and also through my L1 Model 2, and playing through a sub with mega power to spare is more pleasing, at least to my ear.

So in general subs are gonna be more of a necessity for bands with low-end, bass, etc. But up to a point, something like the SA330x can fill more space, without screeching, with the designed sub, even for "just" a guitarist/vocalist.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

I think many if not most solo SA330x singers would agree that having the sub adds fullness and depth not available with the stick alone
I do not agree.
Not only do I not agree that a sub adds any significant improvement to a guitar player/singer's amplified tone, it defeats the entire concept of an easily transportable (one trip from the car) that the SA330X is designed for.

Steve
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I do not agree.
Not only do I not agree that a sub adds any significant improvement to a guitar player/singer's amplified tone, it defeats the entire concept of an easily transportable (one trip from the car) that the SA330X is designed for.

Steve
It does defeat the one trip from car thing, but it also DOES significantly improve the SA330x tone and coverage. By crossing the signal going to the SA330x at 100HZ it allows the SA330X to reproduce everything above that frequency putting less strain on it's power amp and I can tell you from experience it sounds bigger splitting the amplying up between the sub and the SA330x.
It's the same when I use my Schertler JAM200 with the Schertler BASS external sub, when I slap on the guitar top it hits you in the guts and sounds like a completely different instrument. Certain styles of music may not benefit as much from the sub but there is definitely a difference in tone and volume.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
Last year I played an odd shaped outdoor gig. I used my SA 330 pointed toward the shorter side of the venue linked to one of my QSC K10.2 speakers. I just used the Fishman's mixer and controlled the QSC's volume from the back of the QSC. I know that speaker is expensive but there are quite a few available within your price range. It worked out great and the sound carried to all points per the club owner.
This is pretty much what I wanted to know, thanks. I like the idea of making the plunge for some QSC's just have to see what I can afford at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I actually did just that and got a Kustom PA50 to use as a monitor but for whatever reasons it is very finicky, feeds back easily and just didn't feel reliable enough for me to want to chance it with. I had already had the Loudbox for years as a combo home/practice amp before getting the 330 and initially didn't know if I would use both of them live. I say I use it a monitor but I have it up on a stand to my side and back a bit so it does also project outward to the opposite side of the room the 330 faces. I find this setup to be great for 90% of venues and honestly I like the versatility and quality of effects more with the Artist then the 330 but together it creates a nice blend.

The rooms I'm referring to are pretty massive and the bodies and headspace really call for more projection so I'm not sure the sub would help too much towards my goal there, although I don't doubt the sub would make for a much better and richer sound overall. It is definitely something I'm looking to add down the line. truthfully though in regard to the 330 I already find the bass response to be slightly overbearing at times. dunno, think I just need more time to work out the kinks and it may just be the sensitivity of pickups in my guitars causing it.

I also tried to use the 330 initially as both speaker and monitor purposes but that was fairly untenable. For one, it was tricky to get the volumes EQed for what is good for my ears + the audience and then not running into feedback issues because of where the vocal mic is setup. But mostly, in smaller spaces I don't get to choose where the speaker goes and usually have to play next to or behind it. thanks for the responses so far guys
Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

The rooms I'm referring to are pretty massive and the bodies and headspace really call for more projection so I'm not sure the sub would help too much towards my goal there, although I don't doubt the sub would make for a much better and richer sound overall

Yeah, sounds like the sub is only in nice-to-have territory as far as your main challenge is concerned.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
My Trio uses two 220's which are linked together via the "monitor in & monitor out". We have yet to come across a venue it cannot handle, indoor or out.
Are you ever playing with a live drummer and bassist? I'm not talking about putting the drums/bass through the Fishman, but just whether your guitars/vocals/whatever through the Fishman can keep up with the volume of a live drummer and bassist, playing at "rock" levels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification