The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-28-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Looking for back pain solutions

Been playing classical guitar for almost a year, and my back is killing me I see there are various props on the market that allow you to play without a foot rest, so that both feet are flat on the ground. Those selling and making the products that I have seen rave about their effectiveness, but I would like to hear the opines of those who actually use such products, and which products are used.
Thank you for any help and suggestions.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I have 7 herniated discs in my lower spine so I know what back pain is all about. I can not play in any of the traditional guitar positions because they require a slight twist of the torso, which quickly becomes so painful I have to give up playing.

The solution for me has been the Neck-Up for my classical guitar. It allows me to hold the guitar directly in front of me, with both feet on the floor and no twisting of my back in either direction.

I was leery of the suction cups and what they might do to the finish but after using them for over two years I've seen no damage to the finish on either a vintage BRW guitar I used to have or on my AAA IRW classical. I'm always careful to wipe the guitar down with a soft cloth when I take the Neck-Up off before I put the guitar back in its case. Other than that one precaution there's no problems at all.

Dave
Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 AM

During an 8 year period I had two back surgeries. It's completely healed me.
During that period I started using a dynarette cushion and I still do. I used a neck up also but didn't like the suction cups.

Another thing that I found was that the chair was important. A hard chair was very painful to use as it does no give. The solution for me was a "Sound Seat" It might help you.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

+1 for the Neck Up.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Last edited by DariaS; 01-16-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM

There are various cushions, suction cup, and magnetically fastened guitar rests to allow sitting with legs at the same level as each other. The best I've seen is fully adjustable in height and angles. Wooden, and uses strong magnets to hold it in position. "Barnett guitar support".

Check out here for some more ideas:

http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com...port-ergoplay/

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM

I grow my own and try to never play more than 18 minutes (plus 24 minutes warm ups, scales and tuning.) That's all my back and inspiration can take in one setting.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Guest 829

I use a guitar strap and now only stand to play classical. Yes, I drilled holes in my handmade guitar and attached buttons but it feels superb and is very easy on the body.

I have posture related issues and this is working a treat. Once you get used to standing you would probably never go back.

Maybe the purists will turn their noses up but I only study classical for technique and fun so I just do whatever it takes to feel comfy.

And I actually play better standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy21 View Post
I use a guitar strap and now only stand to play classical. Yes, I drilled holes in my handmade guitar and attached buttons but it feels superb and is very easy on the body.

I have posture related issues and this is working a treat. Once you get used to standing you would probably never go back.

Maybe the purists will turn their noses up but I only study classical for technique and fun so I just do whatever it takes to feel comfy.

And I actually play better standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've notice when watching videos of session guitarists playing that almost all of them use a strap even when seated. It gives consistency in the playing position so that the instrument is always in the right place, sitting or standing.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:56 AM
Guest 829

It has been the best thing I have ever done and again within a few days I actually found I was able to play better.

For me, the trouble with the guitar supports (and I have tried all the established ones) was that I simply found it hard to keep the guitar stable without introducing tension somewhere into the posture. This usually meant that I was constantly exerting pressure on the lower bout with my forearm.

Now that I have a strap fitted it just feels so secure.

The video below is of a classical player who I communicated with about guitar straps and he gave me the confidence to try it.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
Been playing classical guitar for almost a year, and my back is killing me I see there are various props on the market that allow you to play without a foot rest, so that both feet are flat on the ground. Those selling and making the products that I have seen rave about their effectiveness, but I would like to hear the opines of those who actually use such products, and which products are used.
Thank you for any help and suggestions.
You don't say that you have a medical/surgical issue - just back tension.

I met a young musician who spoke wisely about this - he said whenever I get pain, I stop and think ard about the tension or twisting I'm doing and seek to adjust it somehow.

Another option for the serious is - Alexander Technique. There are three/four practitioners in my small city, and I know that musicians comprise at least 50% of their clientele.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi salzo

I have used NeckUp lifts for over a decade.

They fold and travel under the headstock, and allow one to play with both feet on the floor. They work for either knee orientation. The both feet flat on the floor is step one toward eliminating back pain.

Learn to position the guitar while sitting straight so you can then bring your arms/hands to it and play, not position your hands to play and then bring your body to it.

I like the suction cup system and leather strap construction of the NeckUp straps. The inventor (met him at Healdsburg 2005) is a guitarist, and user of the system. I tried an Ergo, but the suction cups began making imprints on the side of my guitar, so it quickly went away.

I use them daily and have had zero issues. If your guitar has no end pin, it's very easy to attach both suction cups and actually quite easy to position the guitar.

Hope you find back relief.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Humanist

Everyone will have their own preferences for a guitar-support device.

Three or four years ago I went through 7 or 8 of the most commercially-available products, and for me, the *clear* winner was the DeOro GuitaRest.

The GuitaRest provided the best combination of stability and adjustability for me, and this is from a guy who used a standard footrest since, well, about 1976 or so.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 AM

A general, age-appropriate fitness routine along with emphasis on your stomach muscles and obliques would do a world of good.

Ray
Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
A general, age-appropriate fitness routine along with emphasis on your stomach muscles and obliques would do a world of good.

Ray
Yes I totally agree.

Even though I have kept really fit over my life I certainly have not been 'guitar fit'.

I am going through guitar hell at the moment with all kinds of pains in the neck, back, shoulder, and pins and needles in the arms and even legs. Had all the tests done for disease and I am all clear but the conclusion (which will be confirmed soon) is that there are issues in the spine that are pinching on nerves.

I put this down to excessive computer use and hours in bad posture with guitar - particularly classical where it is so easy to be tense in a very short space of time.

I would therefore urge everyone to actually evaluate posture in all activities because as I have found to my cost you can only get away with it for so long.

Once you are injured and start doing some research the full extent of musicians injuries becomes apparent. I have a friend who is a violinist in a top UK orchestra and she has been through hell with neck and shoulder issues. She now has to take her health very very seriously otherwise it's game over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical