The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2016, 09:55 PM

Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 AM

I have never based my choice on what somebody else plays, that could really drive me nuts. Iʻve always had one guitar - but my cousins had two - one was a Martin and he wrecked my ear.
Fifty years later, been playing spruce top twelves-- but I fell madly deeply for a D15m, and I donʻt play six strings.
I loved it so much that I then bought myself a Taylor 562ce - another all mahoghany, but a twelve. It hits a mood. It has sass! I liken Mahoghany to a spiritied pony, very willing and capable, just donʻt overload it or you can bog dowb.

My spruce top can take a song to heaven, the cedar top starts there, but the mahoghany takes the scenic route with wind in your hair.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:54 AM

I've owned several all mahogany guitars and liked them all. I would say they are less popular due to a more limited high end and less projection than would be available with spruce tops. Very good solo or duo/trio but they won't cut through in an environment with louder, projective instruments.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
I'm pretty sure Darrell Scott's old Taylor is solid koa, not mahogany.
Ah, Thank you Bozz. I stand corrected Sir.
(Whadda I know from wood ? It's dark brown, ain't they all the same then ?)
Old 07-31-2016, 05:03 PM

I have an all Mahogany OM-03 Larrivee plan on selling soon , I have MGA66ESHB Alvarez all Hog grand auditorium , and used to own a Yairi D model, spruce top , ovangkol B/S ... They all have THAT sound to it , balanced mellow , chunky growl , pleasant mids .... It's definitely NOT a bass and treble guitar or loud Canon bluegrass sound , ex a Martin D28 D18 D35 ... Mahogany guitars are my favorite .... As well as a loud canon D models , I like the Guild D25ch 1973 s , Alvarez Masterworks D models , and of course the Martins that I refuse to buy , maybe one day .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion