The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Default JP Armrests

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a commercially available double sided tape that can work to install JP armrests without damaging the guitar? I tend to move them from guitar to guitar, and the ones that Breezy Ridge sell are quite expensive, and a bit of a hassle to order. I'm wondering if there's something I can get at a hardware store that will do the trick.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Hinto, so far as I'm aware that's a proprietary material. While there may be a suitable substitute available at hardware stores, I'm not aware of it.

I just get replacement adhesive strips from Breezy Ridge when I want to shift a Pearse armrest from one guitar to another.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM
I know that one

This might do the trick

http://www.findtape.com/product642/D...ting-Tape.aspx
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

I can't promise anything because I've not tried this on my guitars. But I would think the double sided "temporary" poster tape would do the trick. It's used for scrapbooking where people rearrange photos and notes constantly. Try a hobby shop and tell the sales staff what you want to do to get their impression. At best this will set you back a few dollars. Make certain you do not pick up the "permanent" poster tape.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a commercially available double sided tape that can work to install JP armrests without damaging the guitar? I tend to move them from guitar to guitar, and the ones that Breezy Ridge sell are quite expensive, and a bit of a hassle to order. I'm wondering if there's something I can get at a hardware store that will do the trick.
"without damaging the guitar" is the operative question here. The Pearse glues have been tested both by the company and by users. Most anything else is a crapshoot.

If you are moving the armrests that often, you might try ordering a half dozen so you don't have to deal with the problem that often. You might also look at other instrument dealers, like Elderly, and could combine your order for glue strips with strings, or whatever else you might need.

TW
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Hinto,

As I understand it, most all tapes work buy creating a chemical, acidic reaction. I would be very concerned about the short and long term effects on the finish of your guitars with any hardware store tape. If you can't get multiple armrests, maybe look into a hot glue gun. Not sure about what it is made of, but I have used it with no damage for temporary holding on a varity of finishes (other than on a guitar)

Brad
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
"without damaging the guitar" is the operative question here. The Pearse glues have been tested both by the company and by users. Most anything else is a crapshoot.
Right. If you use the adhesive strips sold by Breezy Ridge, you know for a fact that they're not going to create a chemical reaction with nitro-cellulose lacquer. You don't know that for certain with various brands of double-sided tape randomly selected at the hardware store.

You also know that the adhesive strip is strong enough to keep the armrest in place while the instrument is in use, but will come off if needed. Again, while you can make any assumptions you choose about the other adhesive strips you might find, there's no established history with any of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
If you are moving the armrests that often, you might try ordering a half dozen so you don't have to deal with the problem that often.
This is what I do - I generally have three or four replacement adhesive strips on hand at any given time.

Because I, too, tend to buy, sell and trade guitars a lot, and generally remove their Pearse armrests unless the new buyer specifically requests that they stay in place.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I recognize and respect the impulse to get a cheaper substitute for the Breezy Ridge/John Pearse armrest replacement adhesive strips, but for me it's not worth experimenting with when I already have something I know works and won't damage the guitar.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
it's not worth experimenting with when I already have something I know works and won't damage the guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller
in most cases......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion