The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Preppy is Back!!

I heard a little interview on NPR Thursday that "preppy" dress is back. I wonder if this is an outward sign of a more conservative time in America? The funny thing is that I have never stopped wearing khaki and oxfords. I did wear out the weejuns.

charlie
Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM

I graduated high school in 1982 and the preppy look was all the rage and I have never strayed too far from it. Well, at least when I go outside at home it's t-shirt and shorts in the summer and sweats in the winter.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Back in 1981, I had a parody of the Dr. Pepper "I'm a Pepper" commercial about being a preppy (of course, the only private school I ever attended was law school). It got me into the comedy club circuit, and a referral to a guy who was putting together "The Preppy Comedy Album." I thought when I auditioned he would use the song for one of his cast members; instead, he decided to use me and had me recruit a second guitarist and banjoist, as well as change the melody and the chorus to keep Pepsico's ad agency from suing. It was my first recording--on vinyl, no less. Downside was that until I became a rock bassist I had to perform in a blazer, madras shirt and skirt or khakis, shod in Weejuns. The disc is (mercifully) out of print now, but surfaces every now and then on the internet or used record shops (especially in Cambridge & Georgetown).

The biggest irony? I ended up not only becoming the mother of a preppy (who would vehemently deny the label) but a trustee of his prep school!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
*mahoganut*

It seems to me these days that EVERYTHING is in - clothes, men's haircuts, casual wear - anything.

And my own reaction to it is equally inclusive - I see short hairs, long hairs, long sideburns, no sideburns, shaved heads, and all with almost no "shifting gears".

Curious times...

rr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic