The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
Also, if the suggested price point is $100, I'll buy a crate of them.

I'm guessing $199-$249, and probably nearer ther latter.

If its truly as advertised $100 would be WAY underpriced.
Someone else mentioned $100... and I would be shocked if that happened, in fact I'd bet $1M it won't. I agree with your price... although I'll go out on a limb and guess $200. Maybe I'm hoping for $200, but you're probably right... $250 is probably right.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM

probably will be released NAMM 2013. that is winter of 2013!!!
!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM

I think it looks pretty interesting. The thing I don't like about the Anthem is the element. This removes that piece of the picture. If this mic allows the option of adding a second source, I'd be very very interested. I'd expect the pricing to come out at perhaps a smidge under the Anthem SL which streets at $199.

It utilizes a PZM set-up which can be very cool and AFAIK, Baggs is the only company putting PZM's inside of guitars.

I expect they'll have them at NAMM.
that's me on guitar
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking the new L.R. Baggs Lyric will be issued in two versions: one with a simple sound-hole volume control, another with a more elaborate sound-hole-control module. I'll bet pricing will be similar to the two Anthem systems: $199 and $299 street price. If the Lyric system sounds as good as the flat-picked sound-clip (the second one on the L.R. Baggs webpage), the new Lyric system just may be the system to have being that no drilling for a UST is needed, and perhaps it's single-source modality may rival or exceed dual-source systems. Here's hoping so!

Regards.

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I think it looks pretty interesting. The thing I don't like about the Anthem is the element. This removes that piece of the picture. If this mic allows the option of adding a second source, I'd be very very interested. I'd expect the pricing to come out at perhaps a smidge under the Anthem SL which streets at $199.

It utilizes a PZM set-up which can be very cool and AFAIK, Baggs is the only company putting PZM's inside of guitars.

I've never been thrilled with the Element either, at least from the stand-point of what it does to the guitar un-plugged. On the other hand I've used the Anthem almost from day one with the mic handling everything above the lowest crossover point. Of course that's still givin 250 and down to the piezo but if Lloyd has found a way to get even a little of that 250 and down filtered and fed to the new mic (kinda replacing the need for the piezo) I'm not at all sure you'd need a dual source system.

I really dig the Anthem for all it can do in live scenarios. There's obviously systems that lean a tad towards more natural but I know of nothing that sounds as good as the Anthem, has that wonderful quick-touch, natural response and simply refuses to feed-back. I love that Lloyd continues to "get out there" and put new things on the table and I'm thinking this new system gonna really be great.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post

I was thinking something similar about the UST part of the Anthem. Having removed the UST from my Taylor, to experiment briefly with a soundhole mag, I noticed that having that direct saddle-to-bridge contact helped the guitar sustain a little better and sound a little better acoustically. This Lyric system will certainly appeal to the many folks who object to a UST because it dampens the guitar's acoustic sound a tad.

I'm not one of those folks who believes that all USTs are similarly lacking. I happen to love the rich sound of the PUTW I/O USTs in two of my guitars. That slight dampening effect is an undeniable negative, however.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM

This should definitely cost less than the Anthem. No UST and simpler electronics (no blend, no crossover). Since the Anthem SL goes for $199, I'm thinking it will street for $149.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
No UST and simpler electronics (no blend, no crossover). Since the Anthem SL goes for $199, I'm thinking it will street for $149.
That's not even close to the way their copy reads. Of course it's all speculation but the inference is that there is some pretty sophisticated (maybe sophisticated is not the right word...perhaps clever) filtering and eq'ing going on to allow for the absence of the pickup and increased low-end response without feedback. Either way the inference is not "simpler electronics".

LR Baggs is clearly not marketing this as an Anthem without the Element kinda thing.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Duplicate Post

Duplicate Post

Last edited by alohachris; 12-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Default No One Is Against True Innovation - That's TRUE INNOVATION

Aloha Friends,

No one is against true innovation, but Lloyd Baggs has a habit of introducing product after product - aimed solely at entry-level markets - that do not do a very good job of helping players (especially pro's) make their acoustic guitars sound much like acoustic guitars, IMO. We the players are much more innovative than the manufacturers like Baggs have been.

And once you get through the slick marketing, it's not much of an innovation at all. You could accomplish more with a quality external or internal condenser mic & some good EQ on your own - with more complete EQ control - than you'll ever achieve with a Lyric & it's "innovative" selective PZM EQ aimed at helping you control a mic. What rubbish! That's not innovation! It's pre-release marketing.

So much of Bagg's products are based on the same old tired, unnatural-sounding concept of UST technology which requires a lot of EQ to make it even mildy useable for players, IME.

C'mon, let's use some common sense & our ears objectively here. My ears, for many decades now, tell me that Baggs' products induce ear fatigue after a set or so. Most have been so mid-rangey my ears hurt. Even the Anthem does not allow the player full, separate EQ control of its Element UST & the factory PZM EQ controlled mic. Why not? Where's the true innovation in that limitation for the player? It's all about marketing at Baggs, not true innovation.

Therefore, Baggs is a brand that I ignore & do not trust. It's all about natural acoustic tone for me. And Baggs doesn't get me there. None of it.

So why should I trust that the PZM EQ-adjusted new mic from Baggs will improve upon my live sound in any way? He's not into mic's or noted as a mic manufacturer. It's market share he's after. And Slick Marketing to the entry-level will get it for him.

Apologies to those who love their Baggs sound. If it works for you, great. But there are simply too many who fawn over the latest from Baggs & don't ask the basic question: will it help me achieve a more natural, amplified acoustic sound in the venues I play.

So far, for me? Not at all.

alohachris

PS: There has NOT been much innovation at all in pickup systems for acoustic or electric guitars in the last 40 years in terms of the basic technologies. It's pretty much the same: UST's, piezo's & magnetic's (& modeling from Fishman), That's it. It's just that some players get better use out of what's available by putting their own rigs together from parts made by different manufacturers than others do. The players are simply more innovative & creative than the manufacturers.

Heck, many of us were using cobbled-together. dual-source pickup systems decades before Baggs & Fishman packaged their proprietary ones. The innovation is by the players, not the manufacturers in terms of amplifying acoustic guitars. As it must be. Michael Hedges' live sound & signal chain did not come from a single manufacturer or stock pickup systems. Neither did Jimi's for that matter. It came from their imaginations & requirements for their music.-alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 12-03-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
It's market share he's after. Slick Marketing to the entry-level will get it for him.
nothing cynical there...

Alohachris, obviously anyone with a business is concerned about selling products. There is nothing wrong with that. Like you, Baggs products have not worked for me up to this point. Neither of us is crazy about under-the-saddle pups. I do like a magnetic pup as part of my sound which you do not like at all. Unlike you, I've not found an internal mic that made me happy. Different strokes... I'm not crazy about the Baggs magnetics but I respect what they have tried to accomplish with them. I have met Lloyd Baggs a few times and he strikes me as someone who is working to put out the best products he can and is working very hard to produce a product that gives a more accurate picture of an acoustic guitar.

The PZM technology in the mic portion of the Anthem and now the Lyric is different than putting a mic on a gooseneck inside a guitar. Making that work, could be an improvement in accuracy and feedback rejection. I certainly won't write that off until I've heard it and as I said, if I can add a Sunrise to it and it works as well as my first impressions listening to the clips, I could be very interested in one.
that's me on guitar
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM

one thing i DO know is that we have a PZM mic attached to the lid of our baby grand piano at church. We close the lid as open it is too loud for our team on the platform. We have a small santcuary. It`s and active PZM that goes through a DI and into a 100 foot snake to sound board. It sounded JUST like the piano. It also sounds better than ANY mic we have ever tried to stick in there including coveted sure mics.( all of them only piced up areas where the mic was pointed where as the PZM picks up the whole piano evenly)

so it may be interesting.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm thinking the new L.R. Baggs Lyric will be issued in two versions: one with a simple sound-hole volume control, another with a more elaborate sound-hole-control module. I'll bet pricing will be similar to the two Anthem systems: $199 and $299 street price. If the Lyric system sounds as good as the flat-picked sound-clip (the second one on the L.R. Baggs webpage), the new Lyric system just may be the system to have being that no drilling for a UST is needed, and perhaps it's single-source modality may rival or exceed dual-source systems. Here's hoping so!

Regards.

SpruceTop
From what I read, there will be a presence control for the Lyric system. I presume that's because the mic's high-end response can get a little harsh with some guitars. That's certainly true of the Anthem mic, if the mic level is adjusted too high in comparison to the UST level.

In the case of my Anthem-equipped cedar OM, I've had to set the mic level relatively low (in comparison to the UST) AND boost the mids two or three db to get the sound I want. Perhaps a higher mic level and a presence cut would get me to the same tone zone.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-05-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM

Putting aside the argument as to whether Lloyd Baggs is baby-eating greed-head or a selfless saint... AFAIK Baggs was the first to develop a Pressure Zone Microphone system specifically for acoustic guitar. I would call that pretty innovative.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
So much of Bagg's products are based on the same old tired, unnatural-sounding concept of UST technology which requires a lot of EQ to make it even mildy useable for players, IME.
How would one explain players who sound great using a UST as at least part of their signal chain? For example, the best amplified acoustic guitar sound that I've experienced, outside of using an excellent external mic, is that of Laurence Juber.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification