The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Default CRATE TX 15 Busking Amp - good or bad?

Hey guys, I've been wanting to go busking for a while but haven't got an amp. I've tried busking without one and the experiences have been pretty unfortunate.

People have told me that Rolands are the best ones, but I saw this one selling for around $120USD and it has a microphone input as well as a rechargeable battery. I'm thinking about getting one of those Britney Spears mics where they clip on to your ear to save having to lug a mic stand around (already have to carry the guitar and the amp). The only YouTube I've been able to find of it is some dude playing one with a Fishman Aura pedal so it can't be very accurate and another guy playing an electric guitar through it so not very helpful either.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=494792138

Will it make my Martin sound like crap (e.g. like an electric guitar instead of an acoustic)? If so, how badly? I've currently got the Fishman Infinity Matrix on it. Thanks for any advice/other suggestions.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Default I do!

I have the Taxi 15 and use it for buskng and weddings with my classical and a mic. No complaints, and the battery charge lasts forever. Even throw a reverb pedal (battery operated) in front for a little ambiance. Nice not to have power cords strung everywhere too!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM

I have a TX 30, and I believe the speaker and tweeter are the same as on the TX 15. Your guitar should sound fine since this is a full range speaker set up, albeit small, but it shouldn't sound any more electric than it would through a PA. I agree with the first response as far as a battery powered reverb unit. My TX 30 has an insert jack that will put the effect on both channels. If you have this on the TX 15, it will certainly give the cabinet more depth. You can't go wrong with using this for busking.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Cool

I gig and busk w/ the Limo (the Taxi15's biggest brother) and vastly prefer it to not only the Roland but every other DC-powered mini-PA.

Crate has it sewed up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification