The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2002, 08:44 PM

Default Singing while Playing....

One of the biggest problems I have is singing along with what I'm playing if the rythem of the tune isn't the same as the rythem of the strumming.

With a straight 2 or 4 strums per measure it is not a big deal, but any kind of riff or irregular strumming really throws me for a loop.

I find myself in situations where I can play it, or I can sing it... just can't do both at the same time.

Any advice?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:57 PM

Being a drummer more than a guitarist I really never have had this problem. If I can play the rythem on the guitar I can almost always sing as well. Aside from learning drums I'm not really sure what to do other than practice.

Aaron
Old 04-13-2002, 09:32 PM

Just give it time. Try learning some extremely simple songs and singing along. Even if its not immediately stuff you really enjoy, you be starting to train your voice and hands to work together. Its all about timing and hitting the right note or chord at the right lyric. Keep practising and it'll come.

Derek
Old 04-13-2002, 11:23 PM

Just bluff and say you're playing free-form jazz.

Chipster
Old 04-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Time...and practice. I couldn't sing to ANYTHING when I started out, then I could only sing to the easiest 4 chord progression 4/4 time songs, and now slowly I can sing to a few more (not that anyone would want to hear me anyway heheheh), but there are songs now that I couldnt sing one line to while playing last year. This gives me faith that if I just keep at it, eventually I will be able to "sing" (if you could call it that) while playing anything.

Best of luck to ya!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 04-14-2002, 06:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Pick up two albums: Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" and "Harvest". Learn "Tell Me Why", "Old Man", "The Needle and the Damage Done", and "Words/(Between the Lines of Age)".

Interesting guitar fodder and contrasting vocals. You'll be on your way. That is all.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-14-2002, 09:27 AM

My dog is teaching me to sing while I play. I've almost got it down.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:43 AM

I had that problem too and unfortunately can't offer any technical advice. However, I can offer you hope. As I have an aggressive, syncopated, and hyper-rhythmic right hand, I always wanted to sing what my hand was doing. I started playing a bit "straighter" and singing. In time, my right hand and vocals divorced themselves from each other. Now they work independantly I can now sing and play with the same right hand technique that I enjoy. Just keep at it, it WILL come.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:40 PM

Ref Pingboy...
"With a straight 2 or 4 strums per measure it is not a big deal, but any kind of riff or irregular strumming really throws me for a loop."

Hey PB..
This is really a fairly common problem. Many acoustic musicians have had to deal with this on more than one occassion .. For those who are trained musicians (can read and play music), this may not be an issue. I 'd love to hear from the "trained musicians" in the group regarding this topic.

Speaking for myself, I have found the anser to be.. stepping back from the "cadence?" of the music. Rather than trying to fit the words into the chords and chord changes, I try to get a real good feel for the mood of the tune.

To me this means trying to get into what the acoustic guitarist is trying to communicate with the guitar, and what feeling the singer (may be the same) is trying to express. This is usually much easier to do when the singer is also the primary guitarist, but it can be a very different story when he is not.

If you are trying to play and sing a tune that is played and sung by to different people, it is best (I think) to pick one that is slower and more hmmm.....heartfelt (?). A good example might be "Melissa" by The Allman Brothers. A great song that allows you to "play with" the rythym a bit, and also allows you to hold a phrase, or add in bits and peices to embellish the song.

This is not an easy topic to discuss in cyberspace. It is so much easier to hear it. Anyway, that is my take on the topic. Play around with Melissa, and see if you can grasp the idea I am trying to get across. I can send you the chords off-line if you don;t have them and want to give it a go. Good Luck!

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 04-14-2002, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Being a drummer more than a guitarist I really never have had this problem. If I can play the rythem on the guitar I can almost always sing as well. Aside from learning drums I'm not really sure what to do other than practice.

Aaron
Same here. JW
Old 04-14-2002, 05:53 PM

Great suggestions all....

Thanks....

I've got "The Space Between" pretty much down if I stay in straight strumming, but any kind of fancy strumming still throws me.

"Typical Situation" is a good example of a song that is shockingly easy to play, but I just can't sing to.

"Ant's Marching" is very easy (in the simplified version) only two chords. My teacher had to work with me on it, but I've about got to where I can sing that as well.

"Crash" is the most difficult song I can currently play, but I'm not even close to singing on that!

I'll keep after it, and look work on the slower stuff first.

If I can ever figure out how to play the "Bartender" I'll work on that as well.... it is pretty slow and seems like it is easy to play, and the words are extra moving.

I heard that song on a few days after 9/11 when it was verified that a friend of mine was in WTC Tower 1 when it went down. He was only 23 and that song hits me right between the eyes.... a good one for me to work on no doubt.

Thanks again guys.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:17 PM

Smile I like the sticky stuff......

Hey,,,,

can you play while making a PBJ sandwich?

nuts...(ha!)

forget that...

of course you can't......

Dude,

Can you sing just fine while making a PBJ sandwich?

there is a point there.....

Sarah?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 AM
I know that one

I haven't had the problem you refer to will playing 6 string but I sure have that problem from time to time when playing bass. Playing a walking bass line that has a different rhythm than the vocals throws me for a loop. I've found that I must get the playing to be almostsecond nature then I can add vocals but it sure doesn't come as easy as on the acoustic.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm with you Wally. I get a bass in my hands and somehow I can't sing while playing it. Never have that problem with the guitar.
I really admire people like Phil Collins who can do all kinds of rhythm AND sing at the same time. Has to be a gift and/or a divided cerebellum.
Lisa
Old 04-15-2002, 07:23 PM

Question the slow class?.....I'll grind right to a halt.

Ask yourself....

Self?

Yes?

No....no no no...the other one...

Whoops...hang on....

Ready?

Ready.

Tell me something....

Ok.

Why can't people talk on cell phones and drive safely at the same time?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification