The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessbassdad View Post

But I feel myself starting to use my ring finger more on other strings. And overall use my index finger less.

So my question is this - as I learn this new skill should try to stick to this structure, or abandon all discipline and play what feels good? As long as it sounds good, right?
Of all the various finger-style techniques, I can't think of any that involve routinely diminishing the role of the index finger in favor of the middle and ring fingers, and I can't think of anyone who plays that way. Go ahead and do it, if you want, but do so with the understanding that this probably isn't the best idea in the world.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I believe Leo Kottke was credited with stating "learn the patterns and as soon as you learn them, begin to unlearn them".

If you have no teacher, in addition to Justin Guitar, Mark Hansen's Contemporary Travis Picking is a great place to start to learn the "patterns" and play them in songs and exercises. The book/course that follows is Solo Fingerstyle and in that book course, there is a structure/progression to begin learning and using exceptions to the patterns learned in the first course. You also begin to "free up" the thumb which Leo states in the introduction to the book is "a subject dear to my heart".

Good luck, fingerstyle is fun and very satisfying to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 AM

I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences and perspectives. It has definitely helped shape my approach as I move forward.

I actually have a unique opportunity to practice fingerstyle for several short periods throughout each day. Three weeks ago I had lumbar reconstruction surgery. Finally the pain has subsided to the point that I can play guitar comfortably while lying flat on my back.

I give myself about three more weeks of this circumstance and then I can probably return to work. Let's see how much progress I can make in three weeks.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 AM

I find there is significantly different tone production from:

Thumb
Index
Ring

So you can experiment with unconventional combinations using them for the sound, by turning your head away from the fingerboard and listening.

Here's someone using thumb almost exclusively to get a fuller tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qbcSYIw9w

I find you get a sharper, more strident tone with the index finger, and the fullest, roundest tone with the thumb.

Sometimes you need to get a quicker succession of notes, and for that you can alternate index and middle on the same string, such as high e.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessbassdad View Post
I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences and perspectives. It has definitely helped shape my approach as I move forward.

I actually have a unique opportunity to practice fingerstyle for several short periods throughout each day. Three weeks ago I had lumbar reconstruction surgery. Finally the pain has subsided to the point that I can play guitar comfortably while lying flat on my back.

I give myself about three more weeks of this circumstance and then I can probably return to work. Let's see how much progress I can make in three weeks.
Best wishes for a full recovery. Take your time getting back in shape and do your stretches.

W

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:05 PM

I started playing classical guitar, and played that disciplined style for 5 or 6 years, in my teens. Then I started playing more with a pick, rock and roll, blues, etc. Latterly started playing pick and three fingers, like Ed Bickert. then I went through a phase of mostly just thumb, and comping chords with thumb and three fingers. Now I don't have a clue what I do... All of the above, to be honest.

If you want to learn fingerstyle, that implies not classical, but more of a folk or country style, so figure out what style your favorite players use and try to sound like them.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Of all the various finger-style techniques, I can't think of any that involve routinely diminishing the role of the index finger in favor of the middle and ring fingers, and I can't think of anyone who plays that way. Go ahead and do it, if you want, but do so with the understanding that this probably isn't the best idea in the world.
It's exactly how I do it, and have done for some 50 years now.

That is, I didn't deliberately "diminish the role of the index finger". I just found my middle finger felt like the most natural one to use as my main finger, when using thumb and just one finger. I think that was mainly because it was the longest one, and because (being untrained) I wasn't using classical right hand position - I was using folk-blues position, with the wrist close to (or resting on) the bridge. That made it harder for the index to reach the strings. So when I used two fingers, it would be the ring that I'd add, before the index. Then I'd add index last whenever 3 fingers were needed.

Of course, I use 3 fingers fairly often, and have no problem adding the index in. And I'm not saying I recommend my method. Just saying it feels natural to me and works fine, at least if one is playing mostly folk or blues fingerstyle (alternating bass), and not pure classical.

For anyone learning standard classical repertoire, I'd agree with you, and definitely recommend doing it by the book. (I do play some classical tunes, and can use proper p-i-m-a allocation when required. But I sometimes adapt the convention to what works for me, if not all 3 fingers are required.)

BTW, I use fingernails, and no thumbpick. Most players with my RH position (playing the style I most often do) will use a thumbpick, but my RH thumbnail is good and strong, and I like being able to feel the strings. YMMV
Old 11-12-2016, 05:30 AM

I started using thumb and 3 fingers.

I had about 3 lessons with a well-known blues guitarist in Barcelona and he recommended moving to just thumb, index and middle.

Once I did that, I noticed the benefits; mainly because my ring finger moves with my middle finger and it is difficult to control independently.

Now I use thumb, index and middle all the time, except for moments when I need a forth finger.

Thumb playing bass notes and bass runs (which can occasionally include the G string). Index finger tends to play around G and B strings, middle finger tends to play around B and E strings. But they are flexible and tend to just do their stuff without me thinking about it.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write