The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Default Question regarding headstock inlays

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you regarding headstock inlays. I've ordered an Olson guitar, and it's currently in process. Jim has just started work on the necks. While I initially didn't think I wanted any bling, I recently started rethinking, and contacted Larry Robinson to do a small inlay on the truss rod cover. Now that I've narrowed in on a design, I'm starting to think that I'd rather have it on the headstock than the TRC (it provides a little more space to do some detail). However, I'm not sure how it typically works to get a headstock inlay from someone else while the guitar is being constructed. I know Larry works with Jim from time to time - and I've emailed him (but haven't heard back yet). I'm hoping one of the luthiers here who have worked with outside inlay artists can tell me how it works (do you send the entire headstock to the inlay artist, or just the top plate, or what?), and at what part of the process you do this? I really don't want to have it done after the guitar is crafted.

Steve
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

You are working with Jim, why not ask him? His opinion is the only one that matters in your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you regarding headstock inlays. I've ordered an Olson guitar, and it's currently in process. Jim has just started work on the necks. While I initially didn't think I wanted any bling, I recently started rethinking, and contacted Larry Robinson to do a small inlay on the truss rod cover. Now that I've narrowed in on a design, I'm starting to think that I'd rather have it on the headstock than the TRC (it provides a little more space to do some detail). However, I'm not sure how it typically works to get a headstock inlay from someone else while the guitar is being constructed. I know Larry works with Jim from time to time - and I've emailed him (but haven't heard back yet). I'm hoping one of the luthiers here who have worked with outside inlay artists can tell me how it works (do you send the entire headstock to the inlay artist, or just the top plate, or what?), and at what part of the process you do this? I really don't want to have it done after the guitar is crafted.

Steve
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
You are working with Jim, why not ask him? His opinion is the only one that matters in your situation.
Before I ask him, I want to understand the process - this isnt something I discussed with him at the outset, and if its going to be complicated I probably won't bother. I've been going back and forth in my head on whether I want the inlay or not - so before introducing a change in the build at this point, I just want to understand how it typically works.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM

The builder would send whichever piece of wood needs to be inlaid to the inlay artist...

For the rest, ask Jim. I would think you're quite late in the process to still making changes.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
The builder would send whichever piece of wood needs to be inlaid to the inlay artist...

For the rest, ask Jim. I would think you're quite late in the process to still making changes.
I think you are right about it being too late in the process - I guess I was wondering if the ebony veneer on the headstock gets sent off to inlay, or whether the inlay actually penetrates the veneer. I'm not sure how thick the veneer is on an Olson. But as I said, I suspect it's a bit late for this, and I'll stick with a simple truss rod cover inlay.

S
Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think you are right about it being too late in the process - I guess I was wondering if the ebony veneer on the headstock gets sent off to inlay, or whether the inlay actually penetrates the veneer. I'm not sure how thick the veneer is on an Olson. But as I said, I suspect it's a bit late for this, and I'll stick with a simple truss rod cover inlay.

S
A lot of questions and assumptions...

You didn't ask the only person whose opinion actually matters...
Old 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM

Perhaps I personalized this post too much.

I was really just trying to elicit some responses from the Luthiers on how they coordinate with inlay artists (to the extent they don't do their own inlays) for custom headstocks during the build process. I know how to coordinate with Jim. I was just trying to learn more about the inlay process.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 PM

It's never too late but the timing will determine the cost. It could even be done at a later date - my most used guitar is on it's second inlaid head veneer and is soon to be changed again.

The depth of the inlay will depend upon the materials used, some inlays might be less than 1mm deep. It is easier to inlay the head veneer before it goes onto the headstock and certainly easier to do before the neck goes on the body.

That said, the guitar I'm working on at the moment has a copper inlay that I did with the veneer in position on the head.

Like most things in this world, anything is possible - it just depends how much you want to spend.

YouTube
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a luthier, but having gone (going) that route with 2 different luthiers, I think I can shed some light on your question.

Most builders start with the back and sides, build the box, then make the neck. When someone requests an inlay from another artist, the luthier typically starts the neck first then sends it out to the artist to work on the inlay. Then they work on the body while they're waiting for it to get shipped back.

I think Jim builds many guitars at once. It's pure conjuncture on my part, but it might be possible that he has a neck already built that you could fast-track. Like others have said, Jim is the only one that can answer THAT question.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
It's never too late but the timing will determine the cost. It could even be done at a later date - my most used guitar is on it's second inlaid head veneer and is soon to be changed again.

The depth of the inlay will depend upon the materials used, some inlays might be less than 1mm deep. It is easier to inlay the head veneer before it goes onto the headstock and certainly easier to do before the neck goes on the body.

That said, the guitar I'm working on at the moment has a copper inlay that I did with the veneer in position on the head.

Like most things in this world, anything is possible - it just depends how much you want to spend.
Thanks, this was informative. When you are doing an inlay with different materials, how do you deal with the different thickness? Or do you have to make sure all of the inlay materials have the same thickness?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, this was informative. When you are doing an inlay with different materials, how do you deal with the different thickness? Or do you have to make sure all of the inlay materials have the same thickness?
You have to scrape the inlay materials flush with the receiving material, so they don't need to be exactly the same thickness when you start, as long as they're thicker than the cavity they go into is deep.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Generally, I would cut the recess to the depth of the thinnest piece and (very carefully) sand it all flat once glued into position. This can be hampered if some material is translucent and is best left thick or if differing materials are of different hardness where the softest material would sand away before the rest was levelled off. In this instant, you might have to get a bit more creative.

For some really crative inlay work, have a look at the current Grit Laskin build...
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466943

YouTube
Old 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you're getting an Olson, you are probably buying a "keeper".
To that end, get exactly what you want. I prefer to do inlay work once the neck is built and head overlay is on, though not sure how Jim does his.
Now he can do some fine inlay himself, so this might not need to be jobbed to a 3rd party. But if so, the sooner the better to discuss this with Jim.
He might assess an upcharge for throwing a wee wrinkle into his schedule, but he has worked with other artists and this is no hurdle nor insult to ask.
Best of luck, and post some pics,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Timing is critical and wood takes time to acclimate before it can be used. If one would send wood off to an inlay artist, providing they have time to work your project in on a spur of the moment, it takes time to accomplish the inlay. Once the inlay is done then it takes more time to ship it back to the builder, then it takes more time (weeks) to allow the peg head veneer, to acclimate to the builders shop before the veneer can be glued onto the peg head. This will minimize the risk that the wood and inlay components will not move after they are under a finish. I personally glue the veneer on before the fret board has been glued on, so I can level the inlay after its glued in place. What may sound like a simple task, in reality this late change could set the project back weeks at best or quite psossibly months.

As has been previously suggested, contact Jim as he is the only person that can coordinate this project and answer your questions accurately. Perhaps Jim can do the inlays himself and reduce the time quite substantially?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Default inlay

I think it would be only fair and courteous to ask Olsen to do it first before approaching anyone else. I am sure that he can do most anything and if he couldn't would be quick to tell you. Luthiers get folks who change plans all the time and it's a simple thing that money can fix.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop