The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Default It's Only Love by the Beatles

Just thought I'd share this with my fellow barre chord challenged folks. This is a beautiful song that 'most everyone knows and fun for barre chords practice.

There are Bm, F and G barres, but it's capoed at the 5th so that makes them easier to form. The song is pretty slow and very melodic with a series of open D chords too. It's not exactly easy, but it's very do-able. Through repetition I'm making slow progress. Of course you can play it with the chords open, but the open Bm to me is awkward anyway, and the open F is a pain, so may as well practice the barres. Try it!
Assuming you know the song, here are the chords:

Intro
G Em G Em
Verse
G Bm F C Dsus4 D Dsus2 D
Daug
G Bm F C Dsus4 D Dsus2 D
Daug
C D G Em
F D C D
Chorus
F D
G Em
F D
C D
2nd Chorus
F D
G Em
F D
C D
CD
G Em G Em
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 PM

We used to cover this song when I had my band. One of may favorite songs ever, from one of my favorite albums ever (the US version however...)
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
We used to cover this song when I had my band. One of may favorite songs ever, from one of my favorite albums ever (the US version however...)
Do you mean Help!? Yes, I love that album too. So many good songs on it: Ticket to Ride, I've Just Seen a Face, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away..etc!

Help!, Yesterday and Today, Rubber Soul, and Revolver are the Beatles albums I wouldn't want to have to live without. And there are so many playable tunes on those records, even for novices like me!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Do you mean Help!? Yes, I love that album too. So many good songs on it: Ticket to Ride, I've Just Seen a Face, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away..etc!

Help!, Yesterday and Today, Rubber Soul, and Revolver are the Beatles albums I wouldn't want to have to live without. And there are so many playable tunes on those records, even for novices like me!
Actually the original US version of Rubber Soul had I've Just Seen A Face, Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, Think For Yourself, Word, Michelle, It's Only Love, Girl, I'm Looking Through You, In My Life, Wait, Run For Your Life. I memorized the lyrics to that album as a young boy.

I was 8 when we heard of John Lennon's death. My father's brother was in the Navy, enlisted in the Philippines (when it was still a commonwealth of the US) and send him records he bought, before my father came here to the States. So we got exposure to Beatles music real young.

But yes, the tunes are so carefully crafted, yet most everyone can sing the melodies and remember the lyrics. It's Only Love is so short, under 2 minutes long, but John tells a story in so few words...
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM

I'd say the US version of Rubber Soul was like an MTV Unplugged album before there was Unplugged!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Actually the original US version of Rubber Soul had I've Just Seen A Face, Norwegian Wood, You Won't See Me, Think For Yourself, Word, Michelle, It's Only Love, Girl, I'm Looking Through You, In My Life, Wait, Run For Your Life. I memorized the lyrics to that album as a young boy.

I was 8 when we heard of John Lennon's death. My father's brother was in the Navy, enlisted in the Philippines (when it was still a commonwealth of the US) and send him records he bought, before my father came here to the States. So we got exposure to Beatles music real young.

But yes, the tunes are so carefully crafted, yet most everyone can sing the melodies and remember the lyrics. It's Only Love is so short, under 2 minutes long, but John tells a story in so few words...
Ah yes, you're right. I bought the Beatles collection a few years back when iTunes got the rights, and the way ITunes has grouped the songs by album is often mixed up...I don't why. But I checked the the discography in Bob Spitz' biography of the Beatles. (Great book).

Do you know the story about when they toured the Philippines? The Beatles created a panic when they accidentally dissed Imedlda Marcos by not accepting her invitation to a party. They had to leave the country fast.

Quote:
I'd say the US version of Rubber Soul was like an MTV Unplugged album before there was Unplugged!
Good analogy!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-11-2016, 08:22 AM

I loved this song and Rubber Soul, too! Here's my rendition of the song and a montage image of the wall hangings I painted of the photos on the back of the Rubber Soul album.

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write