The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've pretty much been using 12's across the board and overall pretty happy. But then there's my Taylor 614ce. I'm getting pretty close to the sound I want with some DR Veritas strings. Overall sound quality is very good, but I want just that bit more projection and a little more bass.

In your experience, do you think just up-sizing the string gauge one notch will bring me closer to the above stated goals?
Try a Light top/Med Bottom set. most string companies offer them under the term bluegrass strings. but they're just a mix of Light top three strings and Med bottom three strings. That way still get the basses and mids from the medium bottom 3. But a little easier on the fingertips on the top 3 light strings. Most of the string companies offer sets of them, coated, uncoated, Nickle, PB, 80/20. usually 012 016 024w 035w 045w 056w.
Cheers!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

you could try Pearse NM710 , new mediums
or Martin LJ retro light mediums

mainly to get a feel for the different tension, without going to full strength mediums....

you would bump up the e and b to 13 and 17
and the low e from 54 to 55 with pearse, and 54 to 56 with the retros

g d and a would stay the same @ 24 32 and 42

feel would be similar, and I'm guessing bass and projection should increase
Old 03-25-2017, 06:28 PM

IMO, you will hear a difference between .012 and .013. Now some folks prefer one or the other, but I find there is a difference in the two.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ej17s for dreads, my National and archtops.
Ej16s for anything smaller.
but- as my Collings 12fret dreads don't "need" medium trebles - I swap out for Elixir 12 & 16s, whilst retaining a good strong 26 G etc.

Ej17's are the strings I've always gone back to and have stuck with now
for 4-5 years. They give the power and bite I'm looking for in a dread. I have tried every string probably at least twice so I've had a good sample. I always
tune half step down and if I'm learning a song in standard I just slap the
Elliot capo on and away I go.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 PM

You will hear a difference, whether it will be better or worse depends on your guitar
Every guitar I've bought that came with 12's (Seagull, Epiphone Masterbuilt,etc), when I put 13's on...it choked them, they sounded worse.
Every Martin dreadnought I've bought came with 13's and I would not consider putting 12's on because I am seeking all the power I can get (volume & tone)...playing in a bluegrass band, those booming G runs sound so good and the guitar "cuts" through the mix.

Try some 13's and see....not an expensive experiment.

Russ
Eastman E10 D
Eastman AC 420
Eastman 515 mandolin
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you're wanting more bass response, you need to try Daddario NB strings in 12-52. You'll get better bass on the low end without losing the high end. Now they don't work on every guitar but I have noticed a big difference in the bass response improving.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM

If you switch from 12's to 13's you will definitely feel the difference in the tension. If you like to bend strings they won't bend as easily. You will probably notice less ping in the string as well. With that being said I recently changed from 12's to 13's on my D-18 and was quite pleased the results. I play every day for at least an hour or two if possible and my fingers have been getting stronger and my callouses thicker. I used to avoid mediums because they were harder to play but now I've had a change of heart since my hands have grown stronger and more accustomed to accept mediums. I am 64 with some early stage arthritis but playing guitar helps to keep my fingers flexible and loose. It helps to keep up the daily practice routine. If you can't play every day the 13's may not be for you. I personally like the resistance of the stiffer strings as I can play with more force and attack. I play fingers only. No flat pick and rarely with a thumb pick. I am about to put mediums on my parlor as the shorter scale is starting to feel more like rubber band tension since playing mediums on my dred. Mediums should still play easier on my short scale parlor than the dred but they should be a bit tighter than using lights. Also, I do get fatigued playing the mediums some times and switching over to the parlor is a nice relief and I can keep playing for a while longer. That is how I look at it. Hope it helps you make your decision easier.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM

I agree with you but be careful when putting mediums on your parlor guitars. Many can't take the added pull of the heavier strings. You might wind up pulling that bridge right off the top!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1950 View Post
Not for me. My aging fingertips do NOT like 13s. 13s, never again. Actually I prefer 11s. So much more playable. The difference in sound is NOT worth the trade off in playability.
I'm with Rob, but once upon a time mediums were great. You should check the manufacturer's specs before throwing them on a guitar though.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Looburst - You are correct about some parlors not being able to take mediums but I have a Pono and they are made to take mediums per their web site. It's always best to check with the manufacture specs before making this move. It's good you brought that up.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Well that's great news.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 PM

I have a cedar top Washburn that's sounds the bees knees with 12's and is dud with 13's don't know why but i don't ask I just put 12s on and finger pick my little heart out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Generalizations Fail Us...

As with almost everything we talk about here, generalizations fail us.

It all depends on the player, the guitar, the music, etc., etc.

Here's a very interesting comparison:

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 AM

Part of any player's journey is figuring out what strings work for them on a given guitar. Live with 13's, live with 12's. See what you think.

I ended up liking guitars that are well-suited to a Bluegrass / light top, Med bottom set. I also put 12's on my Tele electric, where its long scale adds a bit of stiffness to the lower strings. I play fingerstyle a lot and love the fact that the feel is similar across electric and acoustic.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1950 View Post
Not for me. My aging fingertips do NOT like 13s. 13s, never again. Actually I prefer 11s. So much more playable. The difference in sound is NOT worth the trade off in playability.
I am currently playing EJ16's and EJ26's on my guitars.
The 12-53 set and 11-52 set.

The times that I've used mediums the bass got muddy and kind of "flatulent " when I strummed.

At this point, my next string order is going to be a load of 11-52's for my six strings.
As Robert1950 says, I find the sound difference negligible. But my carpal tunnel finds the lighter strings to be way more comfortable to play.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion