The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 02:31 PM

Well, Eric's no spring chicken any longer so the concert might be disappointing for those that go anyway, so don't feel too bad. Except for wanting to go see him because he is Eric Clapton, I couldn't see the draw. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I was looking at tickets this week to the Forum show. It was $500 a ticket for the front sections (first 30 rows or so) with the outside sections at $250. I even saw a front row single for $250 for Sunday night. The back floor and upper seats were $149. This was all on Ticketmaster's website. Not sure where you got the $1250 a ticket price!

I also think it's funny when people complain about standing up. I mean, I get it just turning 50 and all, but what are you going to do? Very few rock/country/blues concerts do people sit down these days. Think of it as part of the experience and deal with it. If it really bothers you, then you need to plan ahead and pay up for front row of a section. That way you can do what you want, sit, stand, whatever.

The bright side of Clapton cancelling is I get to see Gary Clark Jr do a full set at The Fonda tomorrow night for $20!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I'd seen Gordon Lightfoot in concert several times in the 70s and was thinking of going to see him, maybe a last time, in May. However, after hearing him performing on a recent live CD I opted to forgo the concert and keep my prior memories intact...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside Guitar View Post
I also think it's funny when people complain about standing up. I mean, I get it just turning 50 and all, but what are you going to do? Very few rock/country/blues concerts do people sit down these days. Think of it as part of the experience and deal with it.
Not my experience. At least not in country venues. In the last couple of years I've been to concerts by Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill, Dwight Yoakum, Travis Tritt, Alabama, Martina McBride, etc...and never had anyone standing up for long periods of time in front of me. Yep, in the front rows of the floor seats folks often stand. But we always get tickets in the front rows of the front bowl seat sections. Close to the action, but not looking at people's backs all night.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep, in the front rows of the floor seats folks often stand. But we always get tickets in the front rows of the front bowl seat sections. Close to the action, but not looking at people's backs all night.
Ticket selection is important as we get older....and can afford it!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 PM

I have seen Clapton twice. Once with Blind Faith and honestly Stevie Winwood was hotter on guitar that night than Clapton. The second time was in the mid 90's and you couldn't pay me $1250 to sit thru it again. He is a great guitar player but neither time was I impressed with him live.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGraw View Post
I have seen Clapton twice. Once with Blind Faith and honestly Stevie Winwood was hotter on guitar that night than Clapton. The second time was in the mid 90's and you couldn't pay me $1250 to sit thru it again. He is a great guitar player but neither time was I impressed with him live.
That seems to be a problem - some of these guys become legends in the retelling that are bigger than they can live up to. It is like the fable of the tailor who was said to have killed seven giants in one blow. The story got really out of hand in the retelling, and ultimately had little to do with facts.

To Clapton's credit, I remember several interviews he did back in the days of Cream when everybody was calling him this big guitar god and he always said that he was never comfortable with that. He said it was something people put on him that he could never live up to.

No doubt Clapton has been a good musician and has reinvented himself many times and stayed in the game and done very well, but there have been many guitarists his equal. All this adoration doesn't make for a healthy situation for him.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM

He's 70 years old. He can't "tough it out" like a 30 year-old. That's the unfortunate reality.

I have tickets for the MSG show in 09/07. I paid $590 per ticket for Sec C, Row 16. I've reached the conclusion I can't have that good of a time (after factoring in hotel, NYC food prices, travel expenses, etc). I saw him both nights of the 2013 Crossroads in NYC for about half the cost. I enjoyed that. I have listed my tickets for resale on Ticketmaster. I can take my children and a friend each to a local concert this summer for less money.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
He's 70 years old. He can't "tough it out" like a 30 year-old. That's the unfortunate reality.
I don't think his age is the issue here. There are plenty of musicians that are well past 70 who are still performing in top form, which is due to their health. One example: Hot Tuna. Clapton has serious neurological issues, which can be debilitating for someone at any age.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I don't think his age is the issue here. There are plenty of musicians that are well past 70 who are still performing in top form, which is due to their health. One example: Hot Tuna. Clapton has serious neurological issues, which can be debilitating for someone at any age.

I was referring to toughing it out with bronchitis, which is the illness causing the postponement.

Michel Jordan played one of the more significant games of his basketball career with a flu. You can tough that out at 30. You can't tough that out at 70.

"Due to severe bronchitis and under doctor’s advisement, Eric Clapton is rescheduling this weekend’s two shows at The Forum in Los Angeles. The Saturday March 25th show will now be held Wednesday, September 13th. The Sunday March 26th show will now be held Monday September 18th . He is very sorry to disappoint his fans but looks forward to these shows. Ticketholders can retain their tickets for the new dates or refunds will be issued at point of purchase. In addition, Clapton will play the already scheduled two shows at The Forum September 15th and 16th."
Old 03-25-2017, 07:41 PM

Talking

I know a former co-worker who, her and her husband, booked this trip two months ago. Flying 2000 miles for this show. They planned to be there a week and this concert was supposed to be the highlight on the last night there. I feel so sad for them as it was a bucket list moment for sure.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Except for wanting to go see him because he is Eric Clapton, I couldn't see the draw.
Well, yeah. He is Eric Clapton. Seeing him, to me, would be a big deal. Even if his playing and singing is not that great.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 PM

I saw him in Houston about 10 years ago or so. Had front row center tickets, my wife and I were about 12 feet from him the entire show. Doyle Bramhall II opened for him. Jimmy Vaughn sat in for a couple songs as well. It was spectacular. The ticket cost was obscene, and worth every penny.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGraw View Post
I have seen Clapton twice. He is a great guitar player but neither time was I impressed with him live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I saw EC last year here in B'ham, Alabama. He played well (of course) but it was a cool evening and he kept *****ing about the cold. Played only one encore song and left.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
That's a lot of money for a couple of hours entertainment, vs getting a guitar. I'd go with the guitar.
Me too. You can buy one of his cd's for like $17. Then again, I got to see him years ago. I guess it depends on your level of disposable income.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion