The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD.... (Or, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To My J45)

So I began looking for a decent Slope Dread awhile back - played a bunch of J45's, 35's etc. Also considering an Eastman E10ss or E20ss since many folks have been pontificating about the utopian sound and quality of them (and I have a 422CE, and I will admit it ain't bad for the $$).

Anyway, I was looking for a great light sound with the optional bottom end 'thump' when I need it. Didn't really care about electronics, since I like to put my own in anyway. I played a quite a few J45's that sounded nice, but also played some that didn't seem to have 'it'. Hmmmm - does that eliminate all Gibbies from online purchasing? Or, do I start that whole treadmill of ordering, then tweaking, then either selling or something? Do I want a narrow neck or a 'wide' neck (like the Larry SD's)?

Finally, I stumbled onto a CL ad that had a sloped dread for sale. He wanted to sell it or maybe trade for a Martin dread.

Which I have. And which I love. The guitar sounds fantastic, since I've been playing it pretty hard for about 18 mos now. It really has been coming into its own, so to speak.

So on a kind of whim, I decided to drive to meet the seller. I figured at the very least I would get a lot of data about this particular instrument, and at best, it may turn out to be something after all. Packed up the Martin, tossed it into the car, and drove to meet in a GC acoustic room - good plan since I wanted to A/B it w others anyway (which is almost impossible in a small music store).

He pulls out the instrument. A Yairi. A DYMR70SB (yeah, say that one 3 times real fast...). Slightly wider neck at 1 13/16, slight V profile, 12 frets to body, gorgeous sunburst. Rosewood b/s. Hmmmm. Looking for mahogany. it's okay though, I'll give her a shot. And so I started playing.

Wow. This thing just blew me away! Outstanding tone, light and airy when I want, and low and thumpy when I want. And outstanding action, perfect for my hand shape (I had been afraid the neck would be too wide fpr me). Punched all the tickets - even had a nice slothead! This guitar was perfect for fingerstyle. Strums nicely too, but it loves fingerpicking!

Meanwhile, he was banging on my Martin - old Tom Paxton, some JT, stuff like that. And, big surprise, he loved it.

Long story short (too late), I now own it. The Yairi I mean.

I traded the Martin. The Yairi is really that good (to my ear). Been banging on this thing for 2 days now, and it just cooks everything I do -- just an incredible guitar for me!

So now I am Martinless, and I need to get some electronics for this Yairi (any ideas, folks? I'm looking at the K&K and the Baggs Lyric. But if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear 'em). But I am very happy with this deal....

Enjoy the pics!

cheers.

Last edited by brancher; 07-04-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM

Wow! Gorgeous guitar and am sure it sounds great. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. I am very surprised at how well this instrument has melded with my own playing style and the beautiful and balanced tones coming out.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful...enjoy! Hard to go wrong with a K&K Mini?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 07-05-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I traded the Martin. The Yairi is really that good (to my ear).
Man, that's a beauty. I always keep my ears open for a good deal on an Alvarez Yairi. You might look into a DTAR dual source to amplify that thing....
Old 07-06-2017, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

After lots of listening and reading, I ended up with the most unlikely option - picked up a Fishman Rare Earth.

Best reasonable-cost solution I've encountered for an acoustic. Not that I am an expert by any means, but I think this'll do well for me.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 AM

Beautiful guitar and nicely balanced sunburst!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous guitar!! I would say you did well with that one.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks All. Now All I gotta do is find a great mahogany dread with a nice flatpicking neck.... and, I cannot help but wonder how a Yairi square shoulder dread sounds and plays - maybe a DY9X ....

Last edited by brancher; 07-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion