The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 09:48 AM

Default Hiscox Pro II on a plane

Flying to Nicaragua today and traveling by air for the first time with a guitar. I'm carrying it in an OM sized Hiscox Pro II case. First leg of the trip is on Southwest. We just boarded. Absolutely no issues with anyone at the Denver airport. We were in the B boarding group. I was prepared to gate check it, but there was plenty of room remaining in the overhead bins. The case fit easily overhead, with much more room to spare than I'd expected. Hopefully this good luck continues. Knock on wood. Flying United tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Curmudgeon

Even if you have to check it, those cases are flight ready. I wouldn't worry one bit checking a Hiscox ProII.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
.... The case fit easily overhead, with much more room to spare than I'd expected. .....
The issue that sometimes comes up , from other passengers, is the shape of a guitar case versus the shape of carryon luggage.

The guitar case reduces the number of pieces of traditional luggage shapes that will fit. which risks the grumbling of a nearby seatmate who had to stow luggage in a bin NOT overhead the seat assignment.

I always feel guilty anytime my luggage takes up a disproportionate amount of the shared luggage space. To that end, I don't even use the zipper pocket on my voyage air case, so that except for the puddlejumper tiny planes, my Voyage air fits in the same orientation and right alongside the carryons in the overhead.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
The guitar case reduces the number of pieces of traditional luggage shapes that will fit. which risks the grumbling of a nearby seatmate who had to stow luggage in a bin NOT overhead the seat assignment.

Flew the second leg of our trip, from Houston to Managua, on United this morning. Again, no problem getting the guitar on board and in the overhead bin. When retrieving it after we landed, I noticed someone had fit a carryon roller suitcase in the bin in front of my case, so that the neck of my case was wedged between the back of the bin and their suitcase. My guitar ended up not displacing much extra room at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
... Knock on wood. Flying United tomorrow.
But but but ... United Breaks Guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Old 04-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Flew home today, first leg on United again, last leg on Frontier. Had to gate-check the guitar both times. Each time, the gate attendant took one look at the guitar and automatically said it had to be checked due to a full flight, even though a week ago both flights were also full and the guitar was allowed on the plane each time. I wasn't concerned because I was pretty confident in the case, and it was a beater guitar, but the change in approach was interesting.

On both flights, the guitar ended up on the baggage carousel. Case and guitar came both came through unscathed.

Anyway, the reason for this post was that I've never traveled by plane with a guitar before, and I've seen a number of posts lately expressing apprehension about the process, so I thought I'd document my experience.

Bottom line, it was totally stress-free, and I really enjoyed having my guitar with me on vacation during down time. The Pro II seems quite flight worthy and wasn't too bad carrying through the airport.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:31 AM

My opinion is that cargo and baggage handlers hate heavy cases. The lightweight cases get better treatment. The Hiscox Pro 2 is lightweight even whilst loaded with a guitar.

That is the irony: heavyweight cases are supposed to survive rough handling better but they are rough handled because they are heavy. Anvil cases are universally abused because of their weight. We have stronger and much lighter materials today for cases.

I am glad your Hiscox Pro 2 and guitar survived all legs of your journey well. Most folk have good experiences. Unfortunately, there are always horror stories and those get aired

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-03-2017 at 05:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion