The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM

I guess I am lucky. I can find almost every major brand including the big 3 without much traveling. Other brands such as Collings, SCGC, Bourgeois, Eastman and Larrivee are within an hour drive.

Doesn't really matter since most of what I would want at this stage are out of reach financially anyways....

I would like to try some Martin Authentics - just out of pure curiosity.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Live in Dallas, grew up in Tennessee. I have never seen or played a Somagyi and really had to hunt for Eastman and Alvarez. Trying to find a Yiari now.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

UK:
Prior to the economic crash of 2007/8 there were many more guitars around, and many more dealers.
Those that are still around are carrying far less stock.

Loads of Gibson, Taylor, cheaper Martins (and some better ones) not a great deal of Collings, one dealer for SCGC with a small selection.
Bourgeois ? One large dealer has 4 or 5 basic models.

One dealer carries H&D.

It seems that the over £3k range still aren't selling much, although I hear the £1k to £2k and the over £4k are still fairly buoyant.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I guess I am lucky. I can find almost every major brand including the big 3 without much traveling. Other brands such as Collings, SCGC, Bourgeois, Eastman and Larrivee are within an hour drive.

Doesn't really matter since most of what I would want at this stage are out of reach financially anyways....

I would like to try some Martin Authentics - just out of pure curiosity.
Soundpure, I presume?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Ferangeli, Susings, Alegre, Sanabria.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:16 PM

Jeez, completely forgot about Bourgeois. As Oldguy likes to say, finding one of those in central VA is like "finding hen's teeth."

Can usually get my hands on a couple at Soundpure in Durham NC, but that's a good 2.5 hours from me. They've currently got a 00 Country Boy in stock that I'd love to get my hands on. Great shop though, wish it was closer.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 PM

I'm very fortunate. Louisville has a couple really good independant stores, (Steilberg Strings, and Guitar Emporium). Between those two stores I can get Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Breedlove, McPherson, Firtch (Stonebridge), Hofner, Fender, Washburn, Heritage, Eastman, Rickenbacher, G&L...and a couple more. We also have a Guitar Center with all of their usual brands and Willis Music carries Yamaha and Martin along with Mom's Music that carries Yamaha and Fender.

Seventy five miles away in Lexington there is Willcutt guitars and it is one of the finest guitar shops in the country. They are a big Martin dealer and also Taylor in addition to Gibson, McPherson, Bedell, Breedlove, and Collings, Santa Cruz, Huss & Dalton, Larrive, and PRS, Fender, Gretsch, Danelectro, Epiphone, Hofner, Hamer....and a few more

Two hours to the south is Nashville and you can find any brand made on planet Earth there!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Acoustically speaking, about the only things I've seen around here are Martin, Taylor, Gibson, a small handful of Breedlove and Stonebridge and several hundred of the more economical brands.

In fact, the lack of variety is really very sad.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntermediate View Post
Jeez, completely forgot about Bourgeois. As Oldguy likes to say, finding one of those in central VA is like "finding hen's teeth."
Fret Mill in Roanoke started carrying Bourgeois again last year. I believe most of them were dreads, but there was an OMC last time I visited. http://fretmill.com/the-room/

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Oh sorry I just remembered. I meant to post this and totally forgot!

(I feel sheepish forgetting this)

The new GC in Cheektowaga had a used CA Cargo series guitar. I even posted about trying it. I was impressed.
And I feel foolish for just finding this post now! (It's too bad there isn't an easier way to find "inter thread" responses on AGF.) Thank you very much for letting me know about the CA! I moved from Amherst (where I was closer to the NF Blvd GC) out to Lancaster last summer (apparently, where all the snow falls!) and can get to the Walden GC in 10 minutes. I'm going to stop by tomorrow. Thanks again, Fazool!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 534 View Post
Fret Mill in Roanoke started carrying Bourgeois again last year. I believe most of them were dreads, but there was an OMC last time I visited. http://fretmill.com/the-room/
They have H and D now as well. Makes sense for a shop less than 2 hrs from the factory. Looking forward to bringing one of the first Halcyons to the valley, albeit in 6 months Too bad it'll be getting played by a hack.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 03-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I've never seen a CF guitar in person.
Haha, I thought you meant "C. F. Martin," and thought, "Seriously? Poor guy has never seen a Martin?"

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Haha, I thought you meant "C. F. Martin," and thought, "Seriously? Poor guy has never seen a Martin?"
Haha Oh No I have seen Martin guitars and because of that I just made my second purchase

Tapatalk on Galaxy S4

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I live close to a town that has a population of over 100K. I went to every guitar store in town last Saturday.

I found some Fender acoustics, Seagull, 1 Yamaha, 1 Alvarez, and some off brand things I don't know anything about. Maybe some of these were decent guitars, I don't know. At Music Go Round they had some very inexpensive guitars, the best of the lot was a couple of Alvarez's, and a couple AJ220 Epiphones.

Not one single high end guitar.

Pitiful selection.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Heck, I live in a relatively small city for China (only 1.1M people) so needless to say I have no first hand access to known guitar brands. When I lived in Shanghai (24M people) I at least could find the big three and some used models of brands like Larrivee, Washburn, Maton, etc. For a city that big there is definitely a void in high end Acoustics. I fairly easily have sold Martin, Taylor, and Larrivee's over here.

Tokyo seems to be quite the opposite. While there I was able to stumble across a nice vintage collection. Plenty of new models and most boutique shops. I even saw a Somogyi there.

I guess the one brand that has been somewhat illusive for me is Lowden. I have only been able to find them in Ireland.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings

Last edited by picassov7; 03-09-2015 at 05:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion