The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Default In search of a thumb pick that also works well for flat picking

Anyone know of a thumb pick that works great for traditional Travis style playing, but which can also be grasped by the index finger and work great for flatpicking as well? The thumb picks I currently use don't work that great for flat picking.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 AM

I've tried Dunlop Herco and Fred Kelly Bumblebee thumb picks that are meant for this. But I still prefer to flat pick with a regular flat pick.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 AM

A little pricey but the blue chip thumb pick is awesome and is comfortable to use for flat picking as well. Of all the thumb picks I have tried over the years, the blue chip is the best.

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

You can get the sound without any special pick. If you listen to Wayne Henderson's playing using a thumb and finger picks, it is hard to distinguish from flatpicking.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 AM

Yeah, I can get a good tone with thumb pick and fingers, but I'm looking for a thumb pick that I can grab with my index finger for alternate picking (down and UP strokes) that will feel & sound ok on the upstrokes.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Yeah, I can get a good tone with thumb pick and fingers, but I'm looking for a thumb pick that I can grab with my index finger for alternate picking (down and UP strokes) that will feel & sound ok on the upstrokes.
I think the problem is that any design with a blade short enough to flatpick OK will have a blade too short to thumbpick well.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Anyone know of a thumb pick that works great for traditional Travis style playing, but which can also be grasped by the index finger and work great for flatpicking as well? The thumb picks I currently use don't work that great for flat picking.
Get a few of these, and experiment with cutting the length & shaping, etc.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNPHEP?...FUMV7Aod5F8ACQ

HE
Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM

I've been using Fred Kelley's Slick Pick. Its the one that Buster B Jones uses. The picking part of it is the same on both sides unlike some thumbpicks that are offset. (does that make sense?)

So you have the same angle picking up or down.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I think the problem is that any design with a blade short enough to flatpick OK will have a blade too short to thumbpick well.
I think the OP may be having trouble finding a thumbpick that doesn't have a slight bend in it. Great for down strokes but grabs strings on up strokes. I have never played one that was totally flat but i know they exist. I believe this i9s what he seeks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 AM

You might like one of these ...

http://www.guptillmusic.com/propik-thumb-flat/
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemo View Post
I've tried Dunlop Herco and Fred Kelly Bumblebee .
I've used both of these and currently use the Bumblebee when I need a thumb pick. I find it great for strumming.

I have all the levels of thickness and prefer the thinner ones.

It's a cheap experiment.

YMMV

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Make a flatpack into a thumbpick by...

Another option might be a flatpack "holder" that fits on the thumb. The SharkTooth device (a velcro-and-fabric thing) works well. At least, I used one for a number of years and liked it. Even better for me has been the Pick Clip patented and sold by Chris Broderick, the guitarist from Megadeath (really). Mr Broderick and I are worlds apart stylistically, but his clip plus a Wegen Dipper 1.2mm really really works for me. You need a largish pick, in my experience, because of the gripper-flange part of the Clip that holds the pick in place. Someone with better technique than I claim to have might make any or other picks work well. A previous thread on this question is where I learned about the Broderick invention last fall.
I also heard about someone who accomplished the same idea as the SharkTooth by using duct tape. That, I didn't try...
Otherwise, +1 to the Fred Kelly Slick Pick. I was so fond of the no-longer-available Extra Thick version that I bought all of two dealers' remaining stock (including an unopened bag of 20). Enough to last oh six or seven lifetimes...
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM

I use these ... http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PKTFL.htm ... the pick swivels on the rivet so you can get just the angle that works for you. Hard to go wrong at $4 a pop.

They also make this one, that I don't like as much ... the only difference being that the pick is a bit longer. I bought 'em by accident, and took a file to 'em to "fix" 'em.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

thumb picks are more personal than flatpicks, actually more personal than underpants ! - do what we've all done and buy one of every single one on the market and find out what suits you.

If you'd like to shortcut that process, send me a large suitcase and I'll fill it with all my failures - you pay shipping from UK!
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Having tried everything on the market to my knowledge, I keep going back to my Fred Kelly bumblebee. It's a great flat picker for guitars set up mainly for finger picking as mine are, with 011 strings. Not brilliant as thumb picks but for the odd song where I need both? Brilliant.

Rainsong OM10 N1
Reiner 00
Eastman AC120CE
Alvarez ARD70e
Alvarez ABT60e
Custom Petit Bouche
Jim Harley Canadian Winter Dread'
Epiphone EJ200 SCE
Various banjos, bouzoukis, dulcimer etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion