The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM

I played with the 3 finger grip as described for many years, probably about 15 years. I am completely self-taught.

I managed to break the habit many years ago and would never go back to that grip on the pick again.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
I guess I should have phrased my question differently. What might I be sacrificing later on if I decide to stick to holding a pick for strumming with three fingers instead of two?

Will this come back to bite me if/when I learn flatpicking and/or fingerpicking?
Control.

I agree with most above, but a skilled plectrum user will babe able to adjust/change the angle for different effects.

Further, the pick should be held as described, but not grasped - I have found that most people that have trouble holding onto a pick actually hold it too hard.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM

I'm also a "three finger" pick holder trying to make the change. As others like me will attest, it's like learning to play all over again and very hard not to revert back! But, after reading all of this and really getting into bluegrass guitar, I'm determined! In fact, every now and then, I experience the beauty of holding the pick properly ie. Cross picking accuracy, volume, speed......so I have some questions.

1. My index finger sometimes hits the strings and seems uncomfortable when I curl it enough to keep it out of the way. Any suggestions?

2. I'm using a blue chip pick and finding that the pick slips and changes position while I'm playing. Thoughts?

3. After much research, there doesn't seem to be a definitive, really clear and helpful video when it comes to the right hand. Can anyone steer me to one?

I know it will come with patience and practice. Great suggestions so far and I really like the pics posted showing the proper grip. Thanks

Mike
Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM

I'm also a "three finger" pick holder trying to make the change. As others like me will attest, it's like learning to play all over again and very hard not to revert back! But, after reading all of this and really getting into bluegrass guitar, I'm determined! In fact, every now and then, I experience the beauty of holding the pick properly ie. Cross picking accuracy, volume, speed......so I have some questions.

1. My index finger sometimes hits the strings and seems uncomfortable when I curl it enough to keep it out of the way. Any suggestions?

2. I'm using a blue chip pick and finding that the pick slips and changes position while I'm playing. Thoughts?

3. After much research, there doesn't seem to be a definitive, really clear and helpful video when it comes to the right hand. Can anyone steer me to one?

I know it will come with patience and practice. Great suggestions so far and I really like the pics posted showing the proper grip. Thanks

Mike
Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Was a serial 'pick dropper ' for many years til I found GUITAR MOOSE , and it changed everything overnight for me .
Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
To play, attack the strings on an angle, 45 to 60 degrees so you don't strike the strings perpendicular.
I've heard this described before. I understand the grip but can think of more than one way to induce angle.

Are you describing striking the string with the front edge of the pick going down(downstroke) and the back edge of pick coming up (upstroke)

thx
Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
I've heard this described before. I understand the grip but can think of more than one way to induce angle.

Are you describing striking the string with the front edge of the pick going down(downstroke) and the back edge of pick coming up (upstroke)

thx
Yes, thus the benefit of the speed bevel on some picks.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 PM

As a former 3 finger picker I can say that the transition will be tough, but worthwhile. I bought a John Pearse bag of pics and many of them have indentations for the thumb and index finger. It helps you to keep form, but I haven't found a favorite in the bunch yet. Sometimes I catch myself going back to my old form, but it's happening less.
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
Was a serial 'pick dropper ' for many years til I found GUITAR MOOSE , and it changed everything overnight for me .
What is "Guitar Moose"?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
What is "Guitar Moose"?
I tried them at one point but couldn't get used to 'em

http://www.guitarmoose.com

Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM

I find it interesting that most folks here find holding the pick with two fingers actually increases their control. For me, as soon as I take my middle finger off the pick and try strumming with two fingers, the pick inevitably begins rotating around, making me feel like I have much less control. My strumming also becomes choppy, much less fluid and I'm far less consistent in the way that I hit the strings.

Clearly I'm either not holding the pick properly or I'm not gripping it with sufficient force to prevent it from moving around on me. When I do grip it harder to prevent it from rotating, I tend to lose that loose fluid wrist motion that really good strummers have.

I'm taking a lesson on Saturday so I'm hoping the instructor can see what I doing wrong and suggest a fix.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I see. Like Gorilla Snot?
Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 PM

Using your middle finger will cause your wrist to tighten. Try it, even without a pick, versus using just thumb and index. You'll feel the added tension. For the best sound and most fluid technique, you'll want a supple wrist.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:46 PM

I use the "bent index finger - thumb" method.

My question is this: Is there a "correct" way? I know everyone has their own way but just so you're comfortable and it works for you is there a right/wrong way?

"And friends until I see you again.. I'd like for you to keep this in mind.. Don't never worry about nothin', cause there ain't nothin' gone be alright no how." -- Hank Williams.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:12 AM

nothing at all like gorilla snot ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion