The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Food for thought is fine. But it sounds like there is not anything that conclusively addresses the discussion at hand; guitars warming up. Posters are already using the info to draw conclusions though.

Thanks,

hunter
I wasn't aware that conclusively settling discussions was mandatory. Also, I really don't see anyone "drawing conclusions" from my post. What I see, unless I'm missing something, is a relatively small amount of folks taking what I wrote into consideration, which is all that was intended.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Frankly, I don't give a darn.
I'm still trying to figure out what is at stake with one's stance on this
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what is at stake with one's stance on this
Not to make too big a deal of it, but it could be an indicator of how you form your world view. Here we've got a situation where some think (believe) that guitars "wake-up", but proof beyond anecdotal accounts is annoying just beyond reach.

So what do you do with your belief? Act upon it nonetheless, or realize it that is unproven, and not use it in future decisions. Guitars waking up is a trivial issue compared to all the political and philosophical dilemmas we deal with on some level. Sometimes an invalid belief system can have major consequences. Or sometimes a collective sense that something yet unproven is going on can lead to a major discovery or a major shift in how we think about our world.

Anyway -- back to guitars.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think this entire OP was an organized argument, with supportive reasoning and logic intended to counter a point about guitars "waking up"

The shortcoming, however, was that the very premise of what was argued against was misunderstood. I think the OP argued strongly against something he "misheard".

When people say a guitar "wakes up" they are not literally making a spiritual assumption about the "aliveness" or consciousness of an inanimate object. No one ever says that. No one ever thinks that. You argued (with great detail) assuming some people actually mean the term literally. No one does. No one ever has. No one ever will.

The mistake was not those who say that. The mistake was your misunderstanding and believing some people actually mean it and your need to correct them.

You believing that they believe that is the silliness.

Now, some specific comments:

No one has ever thought that - why are you arguing with them?

Clearly

No one has ever actually believed this. Ever. Ever ever. The total communication breakdown here is not people really thinking this is real, it was you thinking people think this is real.

And the term is anthropomorphizing. Personificaiton has adifferent meaning of representing a person not having person-traits.

That's flawed logic. You are saying A-is-B because it is B.

{sigh}

No one believes this. Stop trying to argue against what no one ever actually said. It sounds silly.

No. Room acoustics are more stable than the guitar.

The temperature of the guitar's structure can/will literally change. The player "warming up" is a huge factor. The environmental factors (temp/RH/BP) surrounding the guitar and player can change.

and....I lost interest
Nicely stated. You have more patience than me, so just put me in the "I agree" column. I still can't imagine that "guitars waking up" was taken SO literally.

Jimmy

PS. Sorry, I've got to go, my guitar needs lunch.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I No one does. No one ever has. No one ever will.
With all due respect, that blanket statement is inaccurate. The forum is full of posts raising conjectures a la "top wood molecules bounce faster after warming up" and stuff like that.

Is it wrong to ask about those things? No, it's great! It's what makes for lively and interesting discussions on a forum that otherwise would consist of the same old, "Check out my cool new Waverly tuners" thread, over and over.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Half of my guitars fall asleep when I start playing them. I really need to learn to play better.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
With all due respect, that blanket statement is inaccurate. The forum is full of posts raising conjectures a la "top wood molecules bounce faster after warming up" and stuff like that.
Thats a different thing though, thats not "magic" or "personification" like the Op seems to be talking about. Though we've never seen any evidence supporting or denying that, so i wouldnt make that claim, but Its simply a hypothesis made by using the things we know about the natural world.

The op seems to be claiming that since the guitar is an inanimate object, it is perfectly stable and nothing ever changes. We know that is not true, guitars are not perfectly stable, theyre constantly changing.

I agree with Fazool, most of the ops logic begins and ends with "its true because it just is"
Old 03-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I woke up this morning to find that one of my flat tops had logged in to this forum and was reading this thread... tears streaming down her fretboard. Hope you're all happy.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I woke up this morning to find that one of my flat tops had logged in to this forum and was reading this thread... tears streaming down her fretboard. Hope you're all happy.
Ok that made me lol
Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
And the term is anthropomorphizing. Personificaiton has adifferent meaning of representing a person not having person-traits.
See Post #44.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Guitars are not magic. Just some wood, metal and plastic.
Gosh, there's a world I don't want to live in...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM

My instruments open up and wake up...if yours do not, it is not my problem.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Mine dream of being played at lighting speed by Alan Holdsworth and Steve Morse and fingerpicked by Leo Kottke, and slid on by Rory Block.... And then I come home from work, and their cruel reality wakes them up and slaps them in the face...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoman View Post
This is a very long post....
So you're saying that I should stop putting a pillow under my guitar's headstock, tucking it in, and singing it a lullaby?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Default Common Sense

Your strings are room temperature usually 70 something degrees here in FL in air cond . Elsewhere , maybe 50 degrees. Your body temperature is near 100 degrees , and so are your fingers. To say your strings would not have a large ACTUAL temperature change after about 20 minutes of playing is nonsense , not to mention the guitar itself . Heat expands , reason for having to retune a bit maybe ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion