The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Default NGD!!! Lets cross our finger this is it...

I have to start this by saying I have a dread jr. on order. I have a classical with a too-wide of a neck, but I have not liked anything I've tried in comparison. Its a 12 fret, I've noticed 12 frets seem easier on the hands but I have no empirical evidence to back that up.

So I ordered a Taylor GS mini from a very nice online retailer that seems to do a very nice "check" of the guitars before they go out, sends candy with every order and most importantly had a financing plan I could handle.

I ordered a mahogany top because I've always seemed to prefer mahagony on uke's, and I'll take pics tomorrow once the sun comes up. I let it sit in the box for 5 hours. When I opened it the case didn't feel cold at all and that was re-assuring. The box actually had a sticker on it saying not to open it for 4-6 hours I think that was really smart.

She's real pretty and not very dark. I would describe her as most Taylor's, very jangle-y. My kids both felt she sounded very odd compared to my classical my daughter described it has brassy or jangle-y I don't remember her exact words a 7yo doesn't have the same vocabulary for sound but her music teacher has noted she has a good ear. She felt like it made a sort of noise very different from my classical. I did a test playing it with the pads of my fingers vs the pick and she felt the pick gave it a very bright sound sound she had not heard from my other one. I tend to agree with her, but when I strum with my finger the difference between the pad of my finger and the back of my nail is way more noticeable then on my other guitar so I prefer it with a pick.

Its a really nice guitar, I like it better then the one I played in the store but maybe thats because I am at home and more relaxed. The one at the store was way darker on top. I am going to guess mine will darken. The strings feel super "tight" and hard on my fingers and its very LOUD. So I want to try some strings that are not so dang loud and maybe more bass.

Compared to the parlor recording king I returned (which was way cheaper) this is more balanced? The body is equal weight to the neck or the neck is a bit lighter. I didn't like how to recording king had a crazy heavy neck.

I love how it came with the buttons for the straps already attached and I ordered the little GS mini strap and its actually quiet a nice little strap it even came with a leather tie incase you prefer to tie it to the headstock. I like it on the buttons.

I had a very nice practice session with it, G was easier, yay. Barring a chord on it was horrific which I think is the tight string tension. I don't know anything about action but I don't think thats the problem, I think its the strings, they are just so tight which I know I don't like. I am still a total newb so bear with me

Any string recommendations welcome! I like warm, deep and not too tight.
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 PM

Sounds like sweetwater

Congrats!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I use John Pearse PB silk lights on my GS mini and love them.

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelegend2 View Post

I had a very nice practice session with it, G was easier, yay. Barring a chord on it was horrific which I think is the tight string tension. I don't know anything about action but I don't think thats the problem, I think its the strings, they are just so tight which I know I don't like. I am still a total newb so bear with me

Any string recommendations welcome! I like warm, deep and not too tight.
It's likely to be only partly due to the strings. And mostly due to the height of the saddle and the nut slots, and there could also be too much relief. This is precisely the reason that people take their guitars to get a set-up. Expecting a guitar to play comfortably right out of the box, even with a Taylor, is probably expecting too much.

I'd take Flgatorgirl's advice on the strings, and then have a local luthier set-up the guitar around those strings and that gauge. You will almost certainly be much happier with the way it feels and plays.

... JT
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM

I've been too busy playing to post

http://youtu.be/4EERfDrNvqM

WHY CANT I POST A VIDEO ARGH!!!
Pono Baritone Uke

Last edited by firelegend2; 03-05-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Happy New Mini Mahogany Day. Great choice. Well done with the video too
Ian
Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelegend2 View Post
I've been too busy playing to post

http://youtu.be/4EERfDrNvqM

WHY CANT I POST A VIDEO ARGH!!!
Someone just helped me with this the other day. You need to delete part of the link before highlighting, and hitting the youtube tags. So, you will erase from the start of the link, all the way through the = sign (keeping everything after the = sign). Highlight and wrap tags. Hope that works

EDIT: Looks like you figured out how to link a video. The above is to embed it, so the video shows up right here.
Bedell TB-28G
Guild GAD M20 NA
Michael Kelly V65 SP
Tacoma PM20
Alvarez AP70
Old 03-05-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumFu View Post
Someone just helped me with this the other day. You need to delete part of the link before highlighting, and hitting the youtube tags. So, you will erase from the start of the link, all the way through the = sign (keeping everything after the = sign). Highlight and wrap tags. Hope that works

EDIT: Looks like you figured out how to link a video. The above is to embed it, so the video shows up right here.

I have no idea why it worked that time 'cause it didn't the other 10 times I tried but.. yay!
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 03-05-2015, 02:30 PM

string tension:

Steel strings used on acoustic guitars have a lot more tension than the nylon filaments used on the ukelele and classical guitars. There are a few things you can do to get lower tension:

1-use lighter strings - this may increase the "brightness" of the tone, and decrease volume
2-tune the guitar lower than standard concert pitch - this will probably decrease the brightness of the tone, may decrease volume, and sometimes causes string buzz because of strings not at normal tension slapping the frets when playing
3-use strings made of non-standard materials, such as "silk and steel" strings - this will change the tone, and may decrease volume as well

There are a couple of other things you can do:
1-get used to the additional tension through practice, and build up the necessarily heavier callouses to play the steel strings.
2-have the guitar checked to make sure that the strings are at the optimal height for easy playing, and if they are not, then have the guitar set-up.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM

Happy NGD!

I've got a big box with an Ibanez acoustic baritone and a time lock on it sitting in front of me right now.
Ibanez AELBT1NT Baritone Acoustic Guitar
Takamine Jasmine ES33c
Fender Squier Vintage Modified '70's Jazz Electric Bass
GS (Garage Sale) Special Les Paul
2nd Wind Special Reso-Bass
Old 03-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Good video. If I had to guess about the "stiff" strings, I would say it needs to have lower action at the nut (nut slots filed lower). If you put a capo on the first fret, does it make it easier to play? If so, it could most likely use a lowering of the nut slots.
Bedell TB-28G
Guild GAD M20 NA
Michael Kelly V65 SP
Tacoma PM20
Alvarez AP70
Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 PM

Well, it sounds just like it should. Compared to nylon strings, steel strings will have the sound you described. Your guitar is not lacking in bass. You should try some different brands of Silk & Steel strings. They are silver wound on the bass strings like classical, but they have a steel core. In the middle is silk thread. They are both flexible and soft feeling. You will also lose a little volume.

Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Very nice! I'm picking one up tonight.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM

Thank you all such helpful feedback!
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Congrats Fire! The mahogany GS mini is one of my favorite minis!
It should be expected that your GS mini (with medium steel strings) would be "tighter" or harder to press down than your classical with nylons.
In fact, this is true in general.....not just the GS mini.

However, the GS mini's shorter scale makes medium gauge strings feel more like lights to play for me. However, I have been playing guitar for many years and own several full size guitars with medium gauge strings so am very used to it.

You could install light gauge strings on the mini, but IMO the best sound offering from the mini is with mediums so it is worthwhile to develop your strength and get used to playing with mediums if at all possible.

While I haven't played or even seen a Martin Dread Junior yet, I would expect that you will also find it to be "tight" based on you being used to playing Ukes and your nylon string guitar. I expect the DJ will also ship with mediums and appears to be slightly larger than the mini.

Anyway.....have fun with your mini.....it should fit your smaller hands better than your classical guitar. Best of luck to you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion