The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
I have always liked the Eagles. I think one reason many people don't admit that they like them anymore is because of that scene in "The Big Lebowski"- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc (clip has some 'bad' language if anybody is offended by that)... Anyway, I really didn't care for that movie. I've see it a couple of times and I just don't think it's that great. I do like Jeff Bridges as an actor, but I would take the Eagles over "The Dude" any day.
I found the line hilarious, particularly given the contest of The Dude's Creedence fixation. But deciding that I don't like a band due to a joke made in the Big Lebowski makes as much sense as saying that I don't like Merlot because of the joke made in Sideways.

TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I hope this doesn't turn into a "what music is worthy and what music is not" thread. If it connects with you, it's worthy, and if it only connects with someone else, it's still worthy! And yeah, the Eagles have done a ton of great stuff, IMO.
No worries here. I'm not ashamed of any of my music choices. There are artists in my collection far more worthy of ridicule!

deleted a Big Lebowski reference that after consideration is probably inappropriate for this forum

Last edited by TominNJ; 12-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
I've beren an Eagles fan for a long time now. But I was really ticked off when they lost to Seattle, Dallas, and Washington and are now out of the playoffs.

Wait- what? The other Eagles? ...Nevermind!

PS- Best Eagles song ever IMHO- "Take it Easy"
I grew up a Philly sports fan in DE. I feel your pain.

"Take it Easy" is my go-to song when I'm trying out 12 strings at the shop. I can't wait 'till I'm good enough to wow them with "Stairway to Heaven."
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Having learned many of their tunes, I grew in appraciation for how simple they could be played but not if played accurately. There are some great fills to New Kid In Town that go throughout the whole song, same with Life In The Fast Lane. There are easy versions but not the way they're really played. Another great one with incredible fills is I Can't Tell You Why. I'd jump at the chance to be in an Eagles tribute band but I think the end result would always seem shallow.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominNJ View Post
deleted a Big Lebowski reference that after consideration is probably inappropriate for this forum
That's right, this isn't 'Nam. This is a guitar forum. There are rules...
Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I found the line hilarious, particularly given the contest of The Dude's Creedence fixation. But deciding that I don't like a band due to a joke made in the Big Lebowski makes as much sense as saying that I don't like Merlot because of the joke made in Sideways.

TW

I never said it made sense, but I have actually heard a few people make the reference whenever the Eagles have come on the radio. Besides, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Nope.. not Felder for me. He's way too bitter about the breakup.

I'll be Joe Walsh. Aside from his playing and fun personality he was had an amazing way at looking at life.

"You know, there’s a philosopher who says, “As you live your life, it appears to be anarchy and chaos, and random events, non-related events, smashing into each other and causing this situation or that situation, and then, this happens, and it’s overwhelming, and it just looks like what in the world is going on. And later, when you look back at it, it looks like a finely crafted novel. But at the time, it don’t.” -- Joe Walsh
In my opinion, the best "Live at Daryl's House" was with Joe Walsh.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM

I sat in with a Stones Tribute band once when one of the guitar players was indisposed for a bit. I guess they figured I was well suited for the five string, two finger, two chord, one a#^hole thing. While I found the whole concept strange and felt out of place as some of the guys were pretty good clones, I gotta admit I had a blast. But then again, I do love the Stones. I can not imagine doing it on an regular basis though.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
I wouldn't call it focus. The process is generally me hearing a song on the radio and thinking "I think I could play that." I'm surprised at how many times it has been an Eagles song.
There is a reason why they were popular.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
There are a lot of worse things that could happen than being in an Eagles cover band.
This is one of them:

Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I was fortunate enough to be in a band that were friends before the band started, and lasted a few decades. We had three members who could sing, and because I could sorta hit the high notes, always got the high harmonies. We could play Eagles songs pretty good, even though they weren't our favorite. There is a reason they sold so many records.

I hope J D Souther got rich writing all those hits.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Having learned many of their tunes, I grew in appraciation for how simple they could be played but not if played accurately. There are some great fills to New Kid In Town that go throughout the whole song, same with Life In The Fast Lane. There are easy versions but not the way they're really played. Another great one with incredible fills is I Can't Tell You Why. I'd jump at the chance to be in an Eagles tribute band but I think the end result would always seem shallow.
Seems like there are several guitars going in most of their songs too. I'm enjoying finding various videos and chord charts and piecing together what works for me. I don't have a "good ear" so I feel like this is helping to develop that.

It occurs to me that I should seek out live versions so I can see what's happening...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM

I always tell beginners to get one of their early hits books, they're easy and have progressions you'll find in many songs.

Best of My Love, Lying Eyes, One of These Nights.....some of the first songs I learned.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
I never said it made sense, but I have actually heard a few people make the reference whenever the Eagles have come on the radio. Besides, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Shut up, Donny, you're out of your element... <G>

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion