The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
I have owned 3 Taylors, one Collings (a 12-fret) a Lowden, two classical, and a Heinonen. I already have a pretty good sense of what is going on. And, the only thing in my neck of the woods is a Guitar Center. Lastly, I want a custom build, the question is, how to configure it. The discussion is helping me narrow it down.
Have you talked to Brian Applegate? He’s in the Twin Cities. I’ve played several of his guitars and they seemed very playable.

Tim Reede is another local builder.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 12-21-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have owned 3 Taylors, one Collings (a 12-fret) a Lowden, two classical, and a Heinonen. I already have a pretty good sense of what is going on. And, the only thing in my neck of the woods is a Guitar Center. Lastly, I want a custom build, the question is, how to configure it. The discussion is helping me narrow it down.
Apologies, that wasn’t clear from the original post. If the question is, can you get a full, modern sounding guitar with a short scale and a 12-fret body, the answer is, yes. Here are a couple of videos of Michael Watts describing the process of working with Jason Kostal to design the MDW model, which has a short scale and 12-fret body:

A Manzer wedge is going to make a larger body feel smaller and easier to reach over than an arm bevel (or arm bevel alone). I recently had a guitar built with a contour shaped into the binding, which doesn’t change the silhouette of the top of the guitar, but “takes the edge off,” literally and figuratively.

If you have an idea in mind for a luthier or luthiers whose tones appeal to you, you should reach out to them and describe what your requirements are. The experienced luthiers who frequent the custom board of the forum, as well as those who exhibit at the shows I mentioned (and many of the regulars here also exhibit at shows), could build a stellar guitar that meets your needs. Working with a luthier who is local to you is a plus, but not essential.

Last edited by sinistral; 12-22-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Apologies, that wasn’t clear from the original post. If the question is, can you get a full, modern sounding guitar with a short scale and a 12-fret body, the answer is, yes. Here are a couple of videos of Michael Watts describing the process of working with Jason Kostal to design the MDW model, which has a short scale and 12-fret body:

A Manzer wedge is going to make a larger body feel smaller and easier to reach over than an arm bevel (or arm bevel alone). I recently had a guitar built with a contour shaped into the binding, which doesn’t change the silhouette of the top of the guitar, but “takes the edge off,” literally and figuratively.

If you have an idea in mind for a luthier or luthiers whose tones appeal to you, you should reach out to them and describe what your requirements are. The experienced luthiers who frequent the custom board of the forum, as well as those who exhibit at the shows I mentioned (and many of the regulars here also exhibit at shows), could build a stellar guitar that meets your needs. Working with a luthier who is local to you is a plus, but not essential.
This is helpful. Thank you. That Maple guitar is breathtaking in its beauty. Wow.

Last edited by Merlemantel; 12-22-2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I rarely play standing. I use a strap even when sitting. To keep it from rolling off my old lady belly. LOL
Are you playing on a couch?
Old 12-22-2023, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Are you playing on a couch?
A chair. I have two Great Danes that would pummel me with joy if I were playing on a couch.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Tune Up Guitars

Larrivee Parlor guitars are 24". You might consider picking a used one up just to give it a try. 24" scale with medium strings is dead easy to play. I custom ordered several Larrivee 00-40 with a 24.75" scale length. At that scale length I find Lights 12-53, or medium 13-56, work really. The 00 body size is nice because it is about as small as a guitar body can get before it starts sounding like a parlor. You get the comfort of a small guitar but a balanced tone.
YouTube Channel
Old 01-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am contemplating a custom build. I am 67, female, short. Not much arthritis in my hands, but my neck can get wonky when I exert pressure to fret clean notes on the first and second frets. I am mostly a singer, have always played the guitar to accompany myself, but I am trying to learn finger style. I have a 14 fret, 25.5, 1.75 steel string (Heinonen) that has an absolutely gorgeous sound. I have a 25.5, 14 fret, 48 mm Lowden jazz guitar that I recently received, also a beautiful sound. Since receiving the Lowden, I have hardly picked up the Heinonen, which is a shame. That guitar SHOULD be played. I have tried low tension strings on the Heinonen, but it loses its extraordinary beauty with low tension strings, in my opinion. The action is exactly where it should be on that guitar. The Lowden is so much easier to play and it is allowing me to progress faster. So here's the deal, I am thinking about commissioning a steel string that will be more comfortable to play. So, do I go short scale - say 25 - 14 fret, for the lower tension? Do I go std scale, 12 fret, (not the Martin model where the reach stays pretty much equivalent to 14 fret, but more the Collings model, with a shorter reach to the first frets.)? Do I do both? (That seems like it could get a bit jangly and loosey-goosey to me) I like a resonant sound, more in the Celtic tradition, but not as overtone heavy as a Lowden steel string. I like a modern sound. I rarely play with a pick. I have a light touch. I do sometimes use dropped tunings, and would like to learn more of that rep. Your opinions, insights, will be greatly appreciated. This is a big move at 67, and I want to get it right. Thanks much. Leesa
Hi, Leesa, might I make a suggestion? If possible, visit a dealer that has either an Eastman E10-P or E20-P or one of the Newly released Martin 0-12-28.
I'm NOT telling you what to buy, I'm suggesting that you try either or both to see if they "fit" you. The 00 versions are slightly larger bodies but still have the short scale 12 fret design.

The "0" size is what Joan Baez played for most of her career, and they are most determinately NOT toys, nor boxy.

Mf the necks are too wide, too deep or whatever, then you have learnt something about what will, eventually, sumt you.

Keep us posted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop