The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Dan Tyminski on his D-28 and Elixir strings

Maybe this Elixir promo interview has been posted before. Don't know.

In any case, I really enjoy Dan (a native Vermonter), and I thought this interview was quite interesting, despite its promotional nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...=5TFnVJvaOCQ#!

Hope you might like it, too.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM

i just dont like how elixirs effect the balance on my martin; i find adamas strings to work best for it, and last long enough for me(i like the played in strings sound.) however, they do sound good on the... gs mini. surprise, surprise.

when i had a simon and patrick, lixers sounded alright on those.
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Cool! Big Dan T. Allison K. and U.S.fan. I saw an interview w/ him after the Oh Brother movie and he said he watched the movie w/ his wife for the first time and he will never forget how excited she got when she heard his voice coming out of George Cloony's face!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Cool! Big Dan T. Allison K. and U.S.fan. I saw an interview w/ him after the Oh Brother movie and he said he watched the movie w/ his wife for the first time and he will never forget how excited she got when she heard his voice coming out of George Cloony's face!

lol !

I've never met Dan. But I know folks who grew up with him in his hometown, and by all accounts he is just a really nice down-to-earth guy.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM

I love Tyminski, and AKUS, but to each his own, I do not like elixers on my Martins, we're all different..............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM

The comment on how Elixir's last was kind of interesting to me. It is my understand, later seemingly proven by his changing strings before recording story, that Pro musician change strings often. Certainly more often than most of us. So how would he know if they last a long time?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM

I dont know for sure but he is problably not recording everyday so for his personal use to practice or play for pleasure they last just fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
The comment on how Elixir's last was kind of interesting to me. It is my understand, later seemingly proven by his changing strings before recording story, that Pro musician change strings often. Certainly more often than most of us. So how would he know if they last a long time?
I'm not quite sure I get your question but....I'm guessing Tyminski doesn't change his strings until they cross a threshold he's no longer comfortable with. He seems outwardly as a consummate pro's pro. If he gets one show out of a set of Martins I'm betting he gets three shows out of a set of Elixirs and I'm sure he knows his instrument well enough to determine exactly when the strings need to go.

I don't know for sure (cause I don't know Dan) but I'm betting he doesn't change his strings (Elixir or otherwise) unless they need changing based on a set of standards and I'm betting that Elixirs last him three to five times longer than non coated strings based on that standard, whatever that standard may be.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I dont know for sure but he is problably not recording everyday so for his personal use to practice or play for pleasure they last just fine.
It's my understand that they change prior to performing as well. But I guess the question might be, what is considered to be a long time for strings to last?
Few Days, few weeks, a month?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I attended a workshop last summer at which Clay Hess mentioned he HATED to change strings, so he used Elixirs to get extended string life. How extended? He said he used them till they wouldn't stay in turn, which usually took two to three MONTHS. Considering how many hours a day he must play, that sound like a pretty long time.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

In the interview it seemed like he was more concerned that he would break a string on stage as opposed to the tone going dead. He said he has a heavy hand and didn't want to risk it.
For a couch picker like me it's not a big deal if a string breaks in the middle of a song, but for a pro it really matters. The inference in the interview is that the Elixers still sound good after several shows, though.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM

thanks for the post...love him and Union Station
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM

What a nice pair of videos, he comes across as really approachable and down to earth.

Have to agree about the Elixirs, I've got them on all 3 of my Martins, medium on the D-28, light on the 000-28 and extra light on my D12-28.

Even when they ARE getting old, they still sound good.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 AM

IMHO, ANY paid endorsement of this nature should be taken with a grain of salt... Yes, he's a pro but for some reason I'm skeptical that he uses Elixers to gig with. I used them for years when they came out, but IMHO they never sound great but their mediocrity stays with you a loooong time. FWIW, I use Martin "bluegrass" MSP4250's. The 4250's are a mediaum gauge, but the "A" & "D" strings are just a tad heavier offering a little more punch for my aggressive attack. I think people should change out often and get good at it... what's the big deal? It takes me less than 5 minutes to change strings, and I'd reather go thru 3 packs of 4250's than one packet of Elixers (very blah to my ears). So, if you're using Elixers to avoid frequent string changes get over it!! You're sacrficing tone (ALOT IMHO) for conveniance. This does not compute.... (for me)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion