The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
Rick,
have you played PRS Hollowbody II?
nope ... haven't seen one to play yet ... actually, until the other day, I had no idea I'd be seriously interested in a PRS so I haven't done much homework at all with these instruments.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

I have been gassing for a PRS custom for years now... But realize that I just wouldn't play it much... Just love acoustics too much...sigh... All my electrics are getting lonely...
Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM

From someone who owns both us and SE models:

Buy a US used and upgrade the pickups unless you have 57/08 or McCarty.
For the same money new or used, the quality control is way better IMHO than any Gibson I have played.

Their SE line new or used is among the best bang per buck of any guitar company period. Quality, pickups, etc. I have heard about the tuners, but mine worked just fine and kept the guitar in tune.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM

LOL

Why, here's a case in point right here on the AGF: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=259964

I love his last sentence in the OP: "(P.S. I had no idea that owning an LP would be so "educational.")

BTW, to the above, yeah, the tuners seem to be hit or miss...I'd like something a bit nicer I think. The whole pickup issue just seems to come down to personal taste, I suppose. Lot's of folks seem to feel the need on even high end instruments, it's just a bit easier to rationalize experimentation on a lower priced model that, otherwise, has decent bones. And, I suppose I agree on the finding great deals on used US models...there's a nice C22 on the Seattle CL right now for $1200, as just one example.

Cheers

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM

I've owned a half doven PRS guitars. They reatlly are excellent guitars. But, if you want a guitar that's every bit as good and insain low used prices, check out used USA made Hamer's. I bought a 2001 Hamer Studio that's better than any of the PRS guitars I've owned. I payed $900 and it's mint. Go to The Gear Page and search for Hamer and see what people say about them.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
thanks ... yep, I am looking at used and a deeply discounted closeout that would be sold as new ... yeah, I kinda hate to part with Son 3 at this time.
How old is the third son? You might not be too attached yet and I can use someone to do some yardwork!
I had a custom 24 and I now have 2 se's. I have a semi hollow se with P90's and a Santana se. They are both great guitars but the Santana is exceptional for the money. My custom 24 was great but I didn't like the rotary p/u selector and since it was an expensive guitar I always kept it in the case out of fear of damaging it. I always would grab a guitar off a stand instead out of the case (laziness) so the custom didn't get played much. Gas kicked in and I wanted something else so I sold it.
I now gas for a 513 and a hollowbody II. I've never played the hollowbody so that gas may pass when I do but I doubt it.
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 AM

I have one and so far can't part with it even though I play an acoustic most of the time.

My electric experience was always knowing classic models and their history but now owning one until I was in my late 40s so I think it was easier to shop with open mind. The PRS always had great build quality and feel compared to others.

I have a strong bias or love of Telecaster and ES-335 tone so I have to realize my PRS is neither. One really cool feature is it is a hollow body and not laminate so it makes tone unplugged and that comes through the pickups.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Scriptor ... Did you get the PRS?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
But, if you want a guitar that's every bit as good and insain low used prices, check out used USA made Hamer's.
+1

Hamer are one of those companies that are well under the radar; their used prices are stupid low. Ernie Ball musicman are another - the Axis SuperSport and Silhouette Special are phenomenal guitars. Indeed I prefer MusicMan to PRS (I have both), but that's mainly due to the maple neck. For whatever reason, Paul is not into maple necks so they only appear on a few of his instruments (e.g. SAS).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLin View Post
Scriptor ... Did you get the PRS?
Yes ... I was able to work the trade and get the asking price reduced to the point that I could take it home ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 AM

PRS are awesome guitars....................if you ever get a chance, check out the PRS Experience.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Scriptor, I can't blame you for lusting. I picked up an as new Johnny Hiland PRS and it is one fine guitar and certainly a complement to the others that I have and there are some great used ones available.-- Darwin
Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
... I played a PRS today ...

it was really nice ... I had avoided these in the shops thinking they were too pricey ... probably should have continued that stance ... now the gears are turning to determine how I could possibly acquire such a guitar ... talk me down! ...

Congrats in advance on your new PRS

You're completely delusional if you really expect this bunch of GAS-infested enablers to "talk you down'.

Tom
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholmes View Post
Congrats in advance on your new PRS

You're completely delusional if you really expect this bunch of GAS-infested enablers to "talk you down'.

Tom
Thanks and yes, these folks are more likely to push you off than talk you down ...

-- Play on!!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes ... I was able to work the trade and get the asking price reduced to the point that I could take it home ...

Well congrats! I always regretted selling my Custom 22...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars