The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 PM

I chose the D-35 because to me it had everything that the D-28 had plus more.
I love the deep bass in a D-35.

I agree that a D-35 is a great all around guitar and a D-28 is also versatile but very well suited for Bluegrass.
The D-35, not as much.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 PM

The way the guitars are braced, there will be a difference in the voice. While you really can’t generalize when describing tone, I find the D35 and HD35 to be more scooped than a D28 or HD28. The 28 valiants have more mids to my ears. Bass and treble can be higher or lower depending on the specific guitar, but 35s will often have a bit more low end warmth. Truthfully, they are more similar than different.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Last time I was in Strains of Music in Waynesville they had D-18GE, D-18 and the new D-28.
I'm sure you've check there, but they seems to have a rotating stock of the standard line and up.
Strains of Music was where I first played the 2017 D-28. I went back a couple of days later and it was gone……snooze you loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I haven't seen any versions of the D-35 in a GC around here in a while. There's a couple down in San Jose at a different shop, and to my ear, I like them better than the D-28 models. If I were you I'd take a trip over to NYC and look there as there's got to be several somewhere in that huge city. The HD models are even nicer of both of course.
Stopped into the Local GC today (Asheville) and they had a used 1976 D-28 ($2100) and a 1974 D-35 ($1900). The 28 needed a neck rest and the bridge was lifting on the 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
The D-35 still has the 1 11/16” nut, right? Great guitar, but these days I much prefer 1 3/4”... thus the Martins in my sig.
Slight difference but I do not have much experience with a 1 11/16” nut. So the D-35 is something I really need to sample more of before decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
A few things for your consideration . . . .
If you are in Asheville, NC, there are several good guitar stores in your area. Dream Guitars is in Weaverville but (1) I think you need an appointment to see them and (2) I'm not sure what their inventory is.

You can't go wrong with either the D-28 or the D-35. Both are great guitars.
So what are you going to use your guitar for? A D-35 is great for accompaniment. A D-28 is great for just about anything but excels in a Bluegrass and/or folk band.
If I could only have one standard Martin it would be a D-35 but that is because I use mine to accompany my singing.
Dream Guitars has loads of used (vintage) Martins, but they are not stocking new Martins. Still I want to stop by and say hello one day. Most of the other places are not Martin dealers or only have the Low end stuff.
I do mostly solo singer songwriter showcases, Hence the interest in the D-35. I have guitars that work great for this but…. GAS is Gas . And, I always wanted a standard series rosewood/Spruce Martin Dread.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I sold a D28 and ended up with a D35. However, that was an earlier D28, not the newly designed version. I have not tried one of those yet. So, take this with a grain of salt, but my preference is the D35.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:20 PM

I was in this predicament a few months ago. I went with a D-18. Scalloped bracing is where it’s at for me. Bracing first, wood second.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Matt, I've always preferred the D-35 over the D-28.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 PM

I have been on the search for a new rosewood martin for a while now. A local shop here in Vancouver has 2 new 2017 d-28s and a new d-21. To my ears the d-21 was the clear winner of those three guitars. However I recently played a new hd-35 at a local shop that sounded very good. But the real winner lately was a standard d-35 at yet another store that was the nicest sounding guitar I had ever heard. that one sold in a couple days from under my nose while I was mulling it over...DOH!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion