The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If his swing was that useful, I'd know his name as well as Tiger Woods'. I don't.
Have you heard of Irving Berlin?

And Tiger changed his swing and destroyed his career.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

For reference. Here's how the best golfer in history destroyed his career by changing his swing:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/kirankanw...career-104980/

https://www.foxsports.com/golf/story...parison-042616

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Its not the tone that suffers. Maybe nothing does but I can well imagine that grip does not offer the power and control a conventional grip does.

You can grip a baseball bat upside down and still get some hits.

Ever seen Jeff Bagwell’s batting stance? The squat makes no sense! Remember Bernie Kosar’s side arm throwing motion? Sometimes it doesn’t make sense, but I assure you I don’t lose tone or power.

I’ve been playing this way for 18 years and am not feeling like I’m missing out on anything. I’m just different.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Charmed Life Picks;5594033]For reference on how Tiger Wood's swing change(s) ruined his career:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/kirankanw...career-104980/

https://www.foxsports.com/golf/story...parison-042616[/QUOTE
Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Ever seen Jeff Bagwell’s batting stance? The squat makes no sense! Remember Bernie Kosar’s side arm throwing motion? Sometimes it doesn’t make sense, but I assure you I don’t lose tone or power.

I’ve been playing this way for 18 years and am not feeling like I’m missing out on anything. I’m just different.
Good point, Shades.

And OMG, I forgot the most prominent example in the history of guitar playing: Django Reinhart. Django had to FORCE himself to change his style after a fire badly damaged his left (fretting) hand. He only had two and a half fingers and seemed to do okay. I'd probably cut off two fingers if someone could guarantee I could play that well.

Anyway, Shades, the point is you're comfortable with and enjoy playing the way you do. Almost all of us are enthusiastic amateurs, and music should be fun. Fun should always be the first consideration.

Play on, young man,

scott
Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
What does it mean when you say that you are 'double jointed'?

I do think it would be of great benefit, and kinda fun, to have some here post pictures of how one should properly hold a pick, and the attack that should be used on the strings. With different styles of play and different pic shapes, that might be an interesting read and discussion.

Perhaps someone could start a new thread on that - - -

(HHP - alway enjoy reviewing your exploits into pic beveling)

Basically, all of my fingers can bend backwards in awkward ways. My fingers are extremely flexible and aren’t like anyone I know. I have no clue if double jointedness is a real thing but it’s what my parents always told me.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Same here! I'm double jointed and my hand and fingers just naturally turn the pick this way! Yes, people complement my tone all the time as well
Double jointed? Do you mean hypermobility?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Double jointed? Do you mean hypermobility?

Don’t know. Just heard I’m double jointed my whole life.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
What does it mean when you say that you are 'double jointed'?

I do think it would be of great benefit, and kinda fun, to have some here post pictures of how one should properly hold a pick, and the attack that should be used on the strings. With different styles of play and different pic shapes, that might be an interesting read and discussion.

Perhaps someone could start a new thread on that - - -

(HHP - alway enjoy reviewing your exploits into pic beveling)
Here's a thread about gripping picks from a while ago.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=461177
Old 01-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Here's a thread about gripping picks from a while ago.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=461177

I remember seeing that thread. That firm hold works for strumming but offers me no mobility in the fingers when picking. Heck, my thumb and index finger provide over half of my movement when picking. I don’t use my wrist as often as most apparently. Strumming is a little different, but I honestly don’t do a lot of strumming. I’m a huge flat picker.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
But if it works for him, it works for him. He's comfortable and he likes. Has anyone ever seen Jim Furyk's golf swing? It has this huge loop in it and does everything wrong. Golf pros have coronaries when they watch him play. And yet he's won many, many tournaments with his completely "wrong" golf swing.

I'm sure we can all think of guitarists who play the guitar "wrong." Richie Havens played everything in this strange open tuning and used his massive thumb to play an entire barre chord. Joni Mitchell uses all these bizarre tunings. And here's a good one. Irving Berlin could only play the piano in F#! They had to build a special piano for him to play in different keys. And he did just fine.
I remember back in the pre-Chris Thile mandolin days, where if you weren't playing exactly like Sam Bush you were doing it wrong. Well, Sam's right hand technique has to do with the limited range of motion he was left with after some accident... not because it was better over more traditional technique. But everybody was copying it anyways.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I remember seeing that thread. That firm hold works for strumming but offers me no mobility in the fingers when picking. Heck, my thumb and index finger provide over half of my movement when picking. I don’t use my wrist as often as most apparently. Strumming is a little different, but I honestly don’t do a lot of strumming. I’m a huge flat picker.
Flatpicker here, too. We are not that far off.

If it works for you, then great. I can only tell you what I'm doing different, but not that anything I do will be better for you.

I hold the tip about the same depth as you, but its further back on my thumb towards the knuckle. moving the tip back will change the angle for you, but you may not like it. I just tried picking near the tip of my thumb like in your picture, but it's definitely not for me. Having the pick further back means my middle finger has more purchase on the pick.

I do find it really hard to flatpick quickly way out over the hole like that, though. I'm usually a bit behind the rosette, in fact.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I don't strum much except when it is my turn to play rhythm. The point of that grip is to take thumb and finger movement out of the equation and develop a sense of where the pick point is by your wrist and forearm.

Lots of people have different hold but I think that one have proven best for 99.9%.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Flatpicker here, too. We are not that far off.

If it works for you, then great. I can only tell you what I'm doing different, but not that anything I do will be better for you.

I hold the tip about the same depth as you, but its further back on my thumb towards the knuckle. moving the tip back will change the angle for you, but you may not like it. I just tried picking near the tip of my thumb like in your picture, but it's definitely not for me. Having the pick further back means my middle finger has more purchase on the pick.

I do find it really hard to flatpick quickly way out over the hole like that, though. I'm usually a bit behind the rosette, in fact.

Yeah I’m usually back towards the rosette too.

Funny thing is I was just trying to show the angle at which my pick hits the string and not necessarily replicating the exact way I play. It’s actually really difficult to hold a phone to take the picture while holding the guitar and pick at the same time haha.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I don't strum much except when it is my turn to play rhythm. The point of that grip is to take thumb and finger movement out of the equation and develop a sense of where the pick point is by your wrist and forearm.

Lots of people have different hold but I think that one have proven best for 99.9%.

Interesting. I love using my fingers and find I have way more control utilizing both fingers and wrist than relying on just the wrist. My late father in law learned how to play like you described and I showed him my technique and he said it sounded great on me, but he couldn’t move his fingers and wrists at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion