The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Weird vibration issue on new Breedlove

So, I just picked up a new Breedlove for fingerstyle stuff and I am for the most part loving it, but it’s got a weird intermittent issue. Every once in a while I get a weird kinda “thunking” vibration, usually but not exclusively on the low e string when fretted. It’s hard to describe, and is not fret buzz. Is noticeable when it does happen. Any ideas on what this might be and how to address it? I’m thinking maybe a saddle issue? I’d hate to have to send the thing back, because i generally like it, and it was huge pain getting it shipped to me....thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Which model do you have?

Rb
Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Are you perhaps pulling the string more up then sideways? That may invoke the string hitting the fingerboard or fret. Another thing I can think of is that the string has some slack or extra tension over the headstock and when fretted the extra force may cause it to slip in the nut, after which it shouldn't repeat itself untill you retune.

Ludwig
Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

It’s the stage concert ce - got a great deal on it. And the when the “thunking” happens, it happens with flat picking or finger picking.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

It’s my first Breedlove, so I’ve never dealt with these weird pinless bridges before.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 PM

I have a Breedlove C25 and I have not heard that with mine (knock on wood). Hopefully it is just a string issue that would go away with new strings.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 PM

"Thunking" sounds like it might be a loose brace?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Is the op low-tuning, getting a floppier string? Does the thunk occur the instant the string is pressed against/hits the fret?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
So, I just picked up a new Breedlove for fingerstyle stuff and I am for the most part loving it, but it’s got a weird intermittent issue. Every once in a while I get a weird kinda “thunking” vibration, usually but not exclusively on the low e string when fretted. It’s hard to describe, and is not fret buzz. Is noticeable when it does happen. Any ideas on what this might be and how to address it? I’m thinking maybe a saddle issue? I’d hate to have to send the thing back, because i generally like it, and it was huge pain getting it shipped to me....thanks for any help you can offer.
Have you tried thumping the neck or body with your thumb to check if that produces the same thunking vibration? Maybe a truss rod or a loose tuning peg issue?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Does it happen only on one fret position, or on several spots on the neck? Wondering if it’s a weird “wolf tone” giving you trouble.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 AM

I have a stage concert and have never had this problem on this guitar, I did have a very similar problem on a Washburn J6. It turned out to be some wires one a tie strap. Check and make sure all the wires are secured and everything is tightened up.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 AM

Loose or uneven saddle?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:51 AM

have had an issue with a 'CE' / fitted electronics type guitar before -
playing up the neck D & A string produced a dissonant distorted sound on particular frequency's (notes) whilst everything else was ok.
Turned out the jack socket / battery compartment had come loose due to it being excessively tight fit on the inserted j/socket - when pulling the jack out caused the wood screws holding the battery compartment to tare out of the bottom block so allowing it to rattle but only at particular frequencies (resonant frequencies?).
Note, the guitar was new so I took it back to the shop repair guy and suggested what I thought the problem was - he said "No it couldn't be that, it was likely the pickup wiring rattling against a brace or the soundboard inside. Got it back - guess what two larger screws had been used to hold in the battery / jack unit.
Point - the more stuff you have going on - the more things con go wrong.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 AM

Could be lots of things-loose truss rod, vibrating string ball end, loose brace, loose tuner bushing.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 AM

Not exactly sure what thunk means, but I had an A string on a different guitar that was kind of lifeless. For some reason I thought it might be a nut issue, so I very lightly sanded off the smallest hair to widen (not deepen) the groove for the A string. Sure enough, that was it - went away immediately. Not sure if that is what is going on with yours or if you have a noise coming from the body. I will leave it to the luthier experts to advise... good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion