The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

+1 to this.

Full disclosure: I currently own a Brazilian Bourgeois Vintage OM that I am selling to pay down some grad school debt. It is one of the finest guitars I've ever played.

The brands you listed are all phenomenal in their own way - Collings, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois are true peers in every aspect, but they each do have a distinct tonal quality and my ear prefers Bourgeois and Santa Cruz over Collings, all things being equal. I can't speak to Huss and Dalton - I've played a couple but most of what I know about their reputation is from this forum, not direct experience. Having said that, I find Collings to be more consistent guitar to guitar.

But Bourgeois....oh man. Dana's heritage and experience means he makes one of the finest OMs you can buy. I think the wood choices you are chasing will be a killer instrument. The Aged Tone series are really special. If you want to try a Vintage OM with Brazilian Rosewood - mine isn't much more than your budget, but it is not an aged Tone model - it is a 2004 and you can find it in the classifieds.

Good luck on your search, you're in for a wonderful instrument!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Mike, I'd tell what you already know - all guitars are different, play before you buy, the tone woods will affect the sound, blah blah blah. But...you already know that stuff. Your just interested in guidance on general properties. I feel ya!

So, here are my general thoughts on Bourgeois guitars that you may find helpful. I've played most of their models. I love them all. To me, they have a distinctive sound and feel. To my ear, Bourgeois guitars tend to have a drier, more pronounced fundamental tone with fewer overtones then other guitars of a similar shape and materials. They also tend to be better balanced from trebs to lows overall within a given body shape. All the models I have owned have had generous headroom and projection. I love all of Dana's appointment designs - so simple, so elegant. The lines are always beautiful and feel classic. I've never played any model that couldn't both be flat picked and fingerpicked, though obviously some are better finger or flat picked. I had 12 fret OM (adi/IRW) with so much volume clarity and sustain, I could hear the strings scraping across each ridge of my finger print. The only guitar I have ever owned I was truly unworthy of playing. I now have a JOM (adi/mohog) that I finally got the set up right on (came to me used and very very very poorly set up and I don't do that work, so my guy has had it 3 times for tweaking) that is a monster of flat picking and can also be delicately fingerpicked.

Good luck!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-06-2018, 03:31 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I do think that the Bourgeois Signature OM Mad Rose/Adi I own has the richest, deepest, and nicest warm balanced tone of any OM I’ve owned or played. I also find it easy to play (the 2-5/16” spacing is nice) and it’s beautifully made. I find the modified V neck to be similar to the SCGC and Collings, but slightly smaller. I consider my DB OM to be on my “keeper” list. As always, YMMV, so try them for yourself.
Mike,

We have two Bourgeois OM's, both short scale, a EIR/German, and a Madi/Italian w/ HH package. Haasome comments are spot on. The Madi/Italian has a deep lush rich tonal spectrum with wonderful balance up and down the neck with soothing overtones. For our ears, the EIR/German has the quintessential sound you expect from a guitar.

We have owned and demo'd a Collings and spent many afternoons at the Music Emporium playing SGSC OM's. Each maker has their own signature sound and it is simply a matter of personal preference, so after playing OM's from each, our ears and hands prefer Bourgeois. That is simply our preference, and YMMV. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Hi Mike, If you get a new OM, are you going to install a strap button on it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion