The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Welcome to AGF. You'll get a lot of different opinions here and a lot of support as you explore your options.

I assume that you have talked to your teacher, who should be able to give you feedback based on your playing style and objectives.

Like @cotten, I would also question the reasons you have for going with a fan fret, and, like @high, I would encourage you to take a look at other Eastman models (they have a different, chunkier neck profile from the 200 series Taylors, which you may find more or less comfortable, and are well-built).
Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Welcome to AGF. You'll get a lot of different opinions here and a lot of support as you explore your options.

I assume that you have talked to your teacher, who should be able to give you feedback based on your playing style and objectives.

Like @cotten, I would also question the reasons you have for going with a fan fret, and, like @high, I would encourage you to take a look at other Eastman models (they have a different, chunkier neck profile from the 200 series Taylors, which you may find more or less comfortable, and are well-built).

I put the Eastman down due to the Huge discount offered , this could have been an error in my part .
I just want something more consistent and better sounding , my guitar instructor said you can’t go wrong with Taylor , Martin , Gibson , Faith it’s more personal preference

Carl
Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 AM

The Taylor is the only one that I have held and played.
Nice guitar even with laminated S&B.

Most Gibsons that I have played don't have sustain or bass.
I know nothing about Maton.
Why Fan Fret on the Eastman? I wouldn't be interested in that.

If you really want to save some money, I bet you can find the Taylor used.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwag View Post
I put the Eastman down due to the Huge discount offered , this could have been an arrow in my part .
I just want something more consistent and better sounding , my guitar instructor said you can’t go wrong with Taylor , Martin , Gibson , Faith it’s more personal preference

Carl
Gibson has an acquired taste. I have a J-45 and several other guitars. The Gibson's tone has a slightly faster decay than my others. If you want an Gibson that is more all purpose at your price range, see about an old stock J-15.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Eastmans are great guitars, IMO. I generally like and prefer Martins, but Eastmans are certainly more cost-effective. Taylors are good guitars, too, you can't go wrong with one, but you just might not like them. That said, you might not like Martins, or Eastmans, or Gibsons, either, depending on your ear and preferences.

So, the answer is always try some out. After Martin, I'd personally go for an Eastman, or a Guild, or a Larrivee. The latter three will save you some money. But my preference(s) are mine, my style and ear.

Forums are great for suggestions, and largely useless otherwise.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM

If I go taylor I will go either 210ce deluxe or the 214ce deluxe , then to decide on the wood , rosewood , flames maple or koa
Decisions decisions
Old 01-01-2018, 12:18 PM

All guitars, not just Gibsons, are an acquired taste. There are really only two kinds of guitars out there - those you like and those you do not. I have never played a Taylor I would take home and am much happier with an old Harmony Sovereign. But who cares. I know enough pickers who can play me under the table who swear by their Taylors.

It is all just part of the learning experience. And wile I hate to say it, lacking that experience you night as well go with a guitar you like the idea of or one that is recommended by others. Unfortunately, it can be an expensive lesson to learn.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I understand what your saying totally , I learned or am still learning ,as I’m continuing having guitar lessons on a very cheap guitar (Yamaha) .
Cheap because I didn’t want to spend a lot as I didn’t know if I would stick to it.
I have so I just want to treat myself , play a better sounding guitar and one that stays in tune.
I'm going to give you a different opinion that you may or may not want to hear...

You're talking about £$1000+ so it's not chump change. I know I'm goint to ruffle a few feathers, but while the Taylor 214 series is pretty good, its a lot of money for a bolt-on neck/laminate guitar. A USED 214 might be an excellent buy for a move-up guitar. You might even find a 314 or even a 414 for a few pounds more than a new 214. It takes patience and perseverance to hold out for a good used guitar, but in the end, IMO, well worth the wait. If it were me in your position, I'd be holding out for a good USED 414ce. Maybe even a nice 614?

I look at musical instruments two ways. One as a musical instrument. Secondarily as a CURRENCY HEDGE. Sometimes they end up being investments but I don't think of them that way. I could go on about currency values, but I'll save that for another time and place, but I'm sure you're aware of how the buying power in Europe changed due to currency values. A used instrument has already taken a major depreciation the moment it walks out of the store. I let the original buyer take that hit. Then I know that I will get a 40% more bang for my buck and insulate me later on should I want to sell it. In the meantime I have a much better instrument purchased used than if I had just gone to the store and purchased it. There are a lot of guys on this forum looking to move up. I'd buy a used guitar from an established forum member in a heartbeat. Perhaps you might check there. There are tons of used guitars listed on this very forum that might serve you.

JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I go taylor I will go either 210ce deluxe or the 214ce deluxe , then to decide on the wood , rosewood , flames maple or koa
Decisions decisions
Just personally I wouldn't spend that much on a laminate guitar. From what I understand the 100 series is the same guitar with less bling. You'd be better off with some of the Martins in that price range, which are all solid wood.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
What about this used solid-wood 314ce?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...14ce-pre-owned
I would go with this option that Marco Polo presented, in a heart-beat. Great guitar, priced well being pre-owned.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 PM

This is a good deal on a Larrivee L-05. I'd very much prefer it over anything you have listed.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...l-05-pre-owned
Old 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
This is a good deal on a Larrivee L-05. I'd very much prefer it over anything you have listed.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/produ...l-05-pre-owned
Something pre owned I would definitely prefer to try out or at least have better close up pictures I do know larrivee produce find sounding instruments are my guitar tutor has one .
Didn’t consider them as I thought they were out of my price range

Carl
Old 01-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Something pre owned I would definitely prefer to try out or at least have better close up pictures I do know larrivee produce find sounding instruments are my guitar tutor has one .
Didn’t consider them as I thought they were out of my price range

Carl
Understood. Regardless of what guitar you buy you always want to play it first if possible. If not you want a retail seller like this one that has a generous return policy (14 days). Also, it seems this retailer has a good reputation on Google reviews (4.7 w/1,600 reviews).

Returns
Bought something online, but it isn’t quite right?
Got a banjo for your bass player, or a capo for your Casio?
Don’t worry. We’re here to help.

How do I arrange a return?
If you aren’t happy with your order, you can return it for a refund or exchange within 14 days of delivery. Arranging a return couldn’t be easier:
Either call us on 0800 456 1959, or send an email to [email protected]
Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Understood. Regardless of what guitar you buy you always want to play it first if possible. If not you want a retail seller like this one that has a generous return policy (14 days). Also, it seems this retailer has a good reputation on Google reviews (4.7 w/1,600 reviews).

Returns
Bought something online, but it isn’t quite right?
Got a banjo for your bass player, or a capo for your Casio?
Don’t worry. We’re here to help.

How do I arrange a return?
If you aren’t happy with your order, you can return it for a refund or exchange within 14 days of delivery. Arranging a return couldn’t be easier:
Either call us on 0800 456 1959, or send an email to [email protected]
I’ve bought from them before so I know they are a stand up company , I emailed them and they said if any guitar you buy isn’t right for you just return it , no questions asked.

Ideally in the perfect world you would go to a shop and play all the interested ones and find one that way also taking it home the same day .

A lot of great advise on here which has helped but also given me more to think about .

Thank you
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM

I went to a guitar shop today , took the day off and travelled , tried numerous guitars out .

Well I ended up with the taylor 214 dlx but the surprising thing is I got it in quilted maple , ( no longer do the rosewood model in the uk) now I read that the layered back and sides didn’t matter too much as to which wood it was ,they all sounded the same .
This isn’t true I really liked the sound from the maple it blew the other 214’s out of the water , but that’s only my opinion .

Anyway thanks for all your help

Carl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion